Sign in to follow this  
The Highlander

New Report That Examines The Trust That American Households Place In Pc And Consumer Electronics

Forrester Research has published a new report that examines the trust that American households place in PC and consumer electronics (CE) brands, including the brands of Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony (the red dots, above). The results may be surprising to gamers.

In Forrester's analysis, Sony's brand garnered the highest marks of the three companies (Sony also ranked 3rd out of 22 companies), earning an average of A plus. Of the companies surveyed, only Bose and Dell sport an A plus. Meanwhile, Microsoft's brand earned an overall grade of C (placing Microsoft at 20 out of 22), dragged down by low brand trust. Nintendo's brand earned a B, but was pulled towards the bottom of the ranking (17th place out of 22) by low brand potential and low brand adoption.

The chart above, courtesy Forrester, dramatizes the difference between the three brands. Sony and Nintendo are clustered together in the middle of the pack, with Sony enjoying higher trust and higher potential. The low marks that Forrester gives Microsoft in the area of trust and potential, however, means that the company will fight an uphill battle in trying to win consumers over to its CE and PC products.

A few revealing quotes from the study:

"Microsoft faces big consumer defection risk. One measure of consumers' dissatisfaction with Microsoft is seen in the 5.4 million households that give it a brand trust score of 1 [distrust a lot] or 2 [distrust a bit]. Compared with all Microsoft users, these at-risk users have higher income, are much more likely to be male, and are bigger online spenders.(see endnote 7) These households know they run Microsoft software but would be just as happy to leave it behind — if they could."

Full report here

Although I have no need for Vista, I am happy with Microsoft. If it wasn't for Microsoft, I could never have started my sole proprietorship business, six years ago.

Trust is an earned thing. Although sometimes they screw things up, Microsoft still has my trust. I can't say the same thing for Sony, anymore.

I guess the trust in Sony must have been counted BEFORE their sneaky rootkit software was exposed.

I wonder where it would be now that users have discovered that Sony's CD install stealthed software on their PCs.

Micro$oft? Well, they have a huge monopoly position so they have us by the short-and-curlies. Every now and then they twist their grip a bit and do something nasty to us, but that's expected. We know they're hostile, and we can TRUST them to do to us what we expect.

I too think that Micro$oft can be trusted more than Sony. :)

Except maybe for IBM, Microsoft was the only one on the chart that is mostly software orientated as opposed to all the others listed on the chart that are mostly hardware orientated. (Sony does software I know, but not like MS & IBM's commercial stuf). Maybe Apple fits there somewhere, but there's a difference to me in trusting a HUGE software company to a HUGE hardware company.

I agree about trusting MS but what part of there company to trust is another matter. Example: I don't trust their security that much.

Frank.....

Except maybe for IBM, Microsoft was the only one on the chart that is mostly software orientated as opposed to all the others listed on the chart that are mostly hardware orientated. (Sony does software I know, but not like MS & IBM's commercial stuf). Maybe Apple fits there somewhere, but there's a difference to me in trusting a HUGE software company to a HUGE hardware company.

I agree about trusting MS but what part of there company to trust is another matter. Example: I don't trust their security that much.

Frank.....

What happened to the wagon avatar? :)

What happened to the wagon avatar? :)

I bet someone stole it! The red ones always go first! :huh:

It's still in the garage all covered up like a baby :) How about that little fox ?

Frank....