Record Now Locking Up Computer

Dasha

Question

My Record Now program came with my computer which is a Toshiba runs Windows XP Professional Media Center. I have kept up on all the updates for everything and now the Record Now doesn't work. I can't use the Windows copy program, I get a fault notice, and have always used Record Now. Everytime I try to use the program it locks up everything and cannot even shut the laptop down. I have to pull the battery to reboot!

I have important accounting to back up and have to burn my photos onto something!

What the heck is going on?

I have even gone to Add New Software and repaired the program and the original 7.0 version is now saying it is 7.31, so it must have updated that somewhere along the way. Is there a patch or something I am missing?

HELP!!!!

10 answers to this question

I have the Record Now Music Lab 10 (retail version), and it freezes up on me. Vista's Task Manager can't even "End Process" when I try with CNTR-ALT-DEL.

I have to log off or reboot in order to make the program shut down. I downloaded the "update" manually from Roxio's site, but what was odd to me was the fact that the "update" followed the same procedure as the initial installation of the CD-Rom....including instructions to enter the Product Key!!

The program didn't freeze up when I had first used it. In fact, I was prompted about a "critical update" when I was exiting the program...which I accepted. But there were two things that made me suspicious: I had already downloaded the update, and the "critical update" install was from "FLEX.net", of which I aborted. And it was upon reloading Record Now, after the "update", that the instances of locking up/freezing began.

Now I'm not sure what to do except to uninstall and reinstall this again (this will be my third time) and make different choices about the install and updating.

Any suggestions before I do this?

All my drivers, BIOS and OS are current, so I don't need recommends there.

Thanks.

If you have a DLA formatted disc in the drive, then DLA will have control of the drive and XP won't be able to access it. If you have a blank, unformatted disc in the drive, then the XP burning ability should have access. The two applications use different methods of writing, so you cannot use the same disc for both applications.

I have tried to take the selection for DLA off the drive and copy files to a blank DVD-R and I still got the same message, then I tried a blank CD-R and that didn't work. Turned on the DLA and went back to Record Now and the program worked like there was no problem with it. Copied files to a CD-R without locking up my computer, but when I eventually turned the laptop off, a got an error message saying that Record Now was still running, even after closing the program after I burned the disk. This is a new thing now.

Thanks for that qualification Brendon. I am beginning to question my sanity on this one!

The Toshiba web site was no help as expected.

Can't say I didn't try to find the problem, hate going back to older programs, but if it will be the only option,

I may just delete the program and try re-install the older version again. It did work at one time!

If you just need to write files to CD, you should still be able to use the built-in XP burning capabilities. Start with a blank disc, if something pops up offering to format the disc, tell it "No", then in Windows Explorer, drag-and-drop files to your CD writer. That should queue them up. At that point, if you right-click on the drive, it should say there are files waiting to be written, and you can then say, "Write Now" (or something to that effect) and Windows will put them onto the disc. It actually writes sessions, and will leave the disc open so you can add more files later.

Hope that helps!

My Record Now program came with my computer which is a Toshiba runs Windows XP Professional Media Center. I have kept up on all the updates for everything and now the Record Now doesn't work. I can't use the Windows copy program, I get a fault notice, and have always used Record Now. Everytime I try to use the program it locks up everything and cannot even shut the laptop down. I have to pull the battery to reboot!

I have important accounting to back up and have to burn my photos onto something!

What the heck is going on?

I have even gone to Add New Software and repaired the program and the original 7.0 version is now saying it is 7.31, so it must have updated that somewhere along the way. Is there a patch or something I am missing?

HELP!!!!

You have a OEM version of Roxio provided by Toshiba, and all support for OEM's comes from the provider (Toshiba).

Were did you get the updates from ? ( the Roxio site only provides updates for their full retail version).

now the Record Now doesn't work. I can't use the Windows copy program, I get a fault notice, and have always used Record Now. Everytime I try to use the program it locks up everything and cannot even shut the laptop down. I have to pull the battery to reboot!

Dasha,

The usual reason for CD/DVD software to lock up a system is because the software asks the drive to do something, and then sits there waiting for the drive to come back and say 'that's done' - but the drive never comes back to hand control back to the system. The system appears to be locked, but is really just sitting there not looking at the keyboard but just waiting for the drive to answer, and the drive is tied up or broken.

If you could use the XP copy program then the RecordNow software might be broken, but if you can't use either of them then something deeper is broken. Either the way the system talks to the drive, or the drive itself.

What is the fault notice you get?

You have a OEM version of Roxio provided by Toshiba, and all support for OEM's comes from the provider (Toshiba).

Were did you get the updates from ? ( the Roxio site only provides updates for their full retail version).

Beats me where the upgrade came from, but I was assuming it came from Roxio since that is the connection I get when I went to my list of programs on Add New Hardware in Control Panel.

I just noticed that it said I had the new version.

I will try to get someone to help me at Toshiba...HA!

This is getting totally rediculous....more reason to bail out of MS and go Apple and I'm seriously getting closer!

Thanks for your help.

No Tony, there are some updates provided by Sonic/Roxio for OEM editions. You don't usually see them listed on the Roxio updates page, but the Update Manager provides links to them from the OEM version's Home application. They have even offered free upgrades for some OEM stuff this way - it startled me!

Regards,

Brendon

No Tony, there are some updates provided by Sonic/Roxio for OEM editions. You don't usually see them listed on the Roxio updates page, but the Update Manager provides links to them from the OEM version's Home application. They have even offered free upgrades for some OEM stuff this way - it startled me!

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for that qualification Brendon. I am beginning to question my sanity on this one!

The Toshiba web site was no help as expected.

Can't say I didn't try to find the problem, hate going back to older programs, but if it will be the only option,

I may just delete the program and try re-install the older version again. It did work at one time!

Dasha,

The usual reason for CD/DVD software to lock up a system is because the software asks the drive to do something, and then sits there waiting for the drive to come back and say 'that's done' - but the drive never comes back to hand control back to the system. The system appears to be locked, but is really just sitting there not looking at the keyboard but just waiting for the drive to answer, and the drive is tied up or broken.

If you could use the XP copy program then the RecordNow software might be broken, but if you can't use either of them then something deeper is broken. Either the way the system talks to the drive, or the drive itself.

What is the fault notice you get?

I Don't get any fault notice with Record Now. I do the usual steps of putting in the CD or DVD, adding the files to the list and all is going fine until I press the Burn button. Nothing happens after this.....absolutely nothing....so I try to close the program and it won't close. It doesn't respond to any commands after that...not even the Control + Alt + Delete. I can't even shut the computer down. Sometimes it tries to shut down and stays in la la land for a long time and the only way to reboot is to pull the battery out of the laptop.

This morning I went everywhere in the system trying to figure out something and clicked and unclicked the DLA. Eventually I went back to Record Now and was able to copy my files onto a CD, but would not accept a DVD.

I have tried to use the XP copy command and I get an error saying that my driver for the CD/DVD: Not accessible, incorrect function.

This is pretty weird. I do have another older model Toshiba that can burn CDs but can't burn DVDs, which is a bummer... but it is a pain to transfer files between laptops just to accomplish such a simple task!

I haven't tried to uninstall and re-install the Record Now software yet. I guess I should do that. But I still don't know why the XP copy command won't work...never has. I thought maybe it was something in the set up or a tweaked hidden box somewhere that either will allow Record Now or XP to burn copies, but I couldn't find anything anywhere that would disable XP. Am I missing something? Or do I have to go deeper and look for and change some strings? It really can't be this difficult!

I Don't get any fault notice with Record Now. I do the usual steps of putting in the CD or DVD, adding the files to the list and all is going fine until I press the Burn button. Nothing happens after this.....absolutely nothing....so I try to close the program and it won't close. It doesn't respond to any commands after that...not even the Control + Alt + Delete. I can't even shut the computer down. Sometimes it tries to shut down and stays in la la land for a long time and the only way to reboot is to pull the battery out of the laptop.

This morning I went everywhere in the system trying to figure out something and clicked and unclicked the DLA. Eventually I went back to Record Now and was able to copy my files onto a CD, but would not accept a DVD.

I have tried to use the XP copy command and I get an error saying that my driver for the CD/DVD: Not accessible, incorrect function.

This is pretty weird. I do have another older model Toshiba that can burn CDs but can't burn DVDs, which is a bummer... but it is a pain to transfer files between laptops just to accomplish such a simple task!

I haven't tried to uninstall and re-install the Record Now software yet. I guess I should do that. But I still don't know why the XP copy command won't work...never has. I thought maybe it was something in the set up or a tweaked hidden box somewhere that either will allow Record Now or XP to burn copies, but I couldn't find anything anywhere that would disable XP. Am I missing something? Or do I have to go deeper and look for and change some strings? It really can't be this difficult!

If you have a DLA formatted disc in the drive, then DLA will have control of the drive and XP won't be able to access it. If you have a blank, unformatted disc in the drive, then the XP burning ability should have access. The two applications use different methods of writing, so you cannot use the same disc for both applications.

Archived