• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd To Dv Video

vtwiz

Question

Hi all,

I am trying to convert a DVD that I recorded in a standard DVD recorder to DV Video using Toast 9.0.2.

When previewing the disc from within Roxio I see all the contents of the disc.

When I convert the DVD to DV, Toast only converts the first 17 seconds or so and then holds a still frame for the remainder of the video.

It has done the same thing for a number of discs!

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Well, it seems that the old saying "you get what you pay for" is a complete load of crap!

After Toast 9 Couldn't convert my DVD to DV (even though it is supposed to be able to) I downloaded MPEG Streamclip (FREEWARE!!!!!) and that has done the job perfectly.

Roxio, get it together! Your making money from us and you still can't get it right. I will be using freeware for all my video copying and encoding from now on.

I suggest you all do the same.

If you bought Toast for only this purpose then I agree you chose poorly. As for why the process didn't work in Toast it may either been user error (you didn't do it the way that works with Toast) or the content of the VIDEO_TS folder had timecode breaks that Toast couldn't handle properly.

You aren't going to appreciate my next remark. This is a user forum where other Toast users try to help people troubleshoot problems. Your style of venting is immature especially when you made no attempt to first learn if there is something you might do differently to get Toast to work the way you need it to. Try to show some courtesy when posting here and in other user forums.

Now I can expect a heated reply from you telling me where to shove my remarks. Sigh.

No, no heated reply from me.

I followed the correct procedure for converting my DVD to DV Video. Roxio didn't work.

Timecode break or not, a free software app was able to do the job flawlessly.

I expect things to be tested properly before they are released to the paying public. I do not expect a company to rush out new untested software and expect the paying public to test it for them to iron out bugs. Yes, not all software can be bug free but one of Toasts main features didn't work.

Now, do you think my retailer will accept a return considering that the software has been opened, installed and registered???

No, no heated reply from me.

I followed the correct procedure for converting my DVD to DV Video. Roxio didn't work.

Timecode break or not, a free software app was able to do the job flawlessly.

I expect things to be tested properly before they are released to the paying public. I do not expect a company to rush out new untested software and expect the paying public to test it for them to iron out bugs. Yes, not all software can be bug free but one of Toasts main features didn't work.

Now, do you think my retailer will accept a return considering that the software has been opened, installed and registered???

I doubt you'll get much cooperation from your retailer. Roxio has a 15-day (I think) refund policy when software is purchased directly from them as a download but I don't know anyone who gives refunds on opened boxed software.

There's an alternative way to convert video from DVD or VIDEO_TS to DV using Toast. Insert the DVD or place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window and you'll see each title that's on the DVD. Drag the title{s} you want to the Convert window with Video Files selected as the format. Toast then extracts the MPEG files from the source. When that's done click the convert button to proceed. This probably sounds very cumbersome but it was the only way to do it with Toast 7 or 8

Roxio's says a Toast 9 update is coming soon but I don't know if that will make any difference with your source files. If they were recorded with a DVD camcorder or standalone DVD recorder then it is very likely a timecode break issue with Toast. My standalone Pioneer DVD recorder has this problem when DVDs are recorded and finalized in video mode. Using the Media Browser extraction process I described overcomes that problem with those videos.

I use Streamclip for editing and fixing timecode breaks if necessary. It is indeed amazing especially considering it is free (after purchase of Apple's MPEG2 component). However, when converting to DV I typically prefer Cinematize.

Archived