• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Overlays Don't Burn Properly

gmbdl

Question

In videowave made production - everything OK. At the end put one scenic picture in and lengthened it in order to use as a background. Added 3 pictures as overlays - did edge fading and transparency and have them come in one at a time, then fade out together. Did this with 3 more pictures, and then one last set of three. Watching it in Videowave, everything looks great. When I went to burn it, the pictures that were put in as overlays have lines - both horizontal and vertical and you can hardly see the pictures. So went back and deleted the .dat file, thinking it was bad. But when I went to reburn and it was encoding, I could see the stripes. I used both an external burner, then the internal burner and still does the same thing. Any reason why these pictures that are overlays are giving me a problem. I have done this before and it worked, just can't figure out why it is giving me problems this time. Thanks. MK

8 answers to this question

No need to apologize. We just hope that you, your family and your property are OK. Where are you in the world?

We are in Omaha, NE. Had hurricane force winds - 90 - 110 mile an hour winds. Had large maple tree over 40 years old in front yard. It was still in front yard after the winds, but in numerous pieces. We were one of the lucky ones, no bad house damage - minor. Have to have tree "topped", then eventually taken down. Tree Services are extremely busy right now, but said they would be here this week as branches are precariously hangiing over house. What a mess.

If I don't burn to ISO, will delete the last part and try again as soon as I get time. thanks for your concern. Mary Kay

In videowave made production - everything OK. At the end put one scenic picture in and lengthened it in order to use as a background. Added 3 pictures as overlays - did edge fading and transparency and have them come in one at a time, then fade out together. Did this with 3 more pictures, and then one last set of three. Watching it in Videowave, everything looks great. When I went to burn it, the pictures that were put in as overlays have lines - both horizontal and vertical and you can hardly see the pictures. So went back and deleted the .dat file, thinking it was bad. But when I went to reburn and it was encoding, I could see the stripes. I used both an external burner, then the internal burner and still does the same thing. Any reason why these pictures that are overlays are giving me a problem. I have done this before and it worked, just can't figure out why it is giving me problems this time. Thanks. MK

Still working with the problem of getting the production to burn properly. Is it necessary to delete and redo the overlays? Hate to do that if the same problem will occur. Anyone else had a similar problem? Thank you. MK

Still working with the problem of getting the production to burn properly. Is it necessary to delete and redo the overlays? Hate to do that if the same problem will occur. Anyone else had a similar problem? Thank you. MK

Have you made an ISO file from that project and played it using either VLC or mounted a virtual drive and and played it using CinePlayer? That will at least tell us if the encoding is correct or of there is a problem encoding. If the coding is correct, then copy that ISO to a good quality RW disc. If you have lines then, I'd look at the DVD player.

Interlaced or progressive? PAL or NTSC ? Hardware or software encoding?

Have you made an ISO file from that project and played it using either VLC or mounted a virtual drive and and played it using CinePlayer? That will at least tell us if the encoding is correct or of there is a problem encoding. If the coding is correct, then copy that ISO to a good quality RW disc. If you have lines then, I'd look at the DVD player.

Interlaced or progressive? PAL or NTSC ? Hardware or software encoding?

OK, you lost me a bit. What does "VLC" mean? And what is a virtual drive? Have not put it into ISO file, as it is not that large, but will try that. How do I find out about interlace,progressive, PAL, Ntsc, hARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ENCODING? Would check, but have no idea where to start. Thank you again. MK

OK, you lost me a bit. What does "VLC" mean? And what is a virtual drive? Have not put it into ISO file, as it is not that large, but will try that. How do I find out about interlace,progressive, PAL, Ntsc, hARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ENCODING? Would check, but have no idea where to start. Thank you again. MK

VLC is a free downloadable program that will play just about all video files including an ISO file.

An ISO file is an exact image of what will be on a DVD after it is burned. If you can encode to the ISO file and it looks OK in VLC then the problem is not in the encoding. To create an ISO file in My DVD, when you go to burn, uncheck burn to disc or to folder and check file. Name the file and the location you want it place. The file will encode separately from burning. You can check the burn quality using VLC. If it is OK, you simply use Disc Copier or Creator Classic to copy the ISO file to a disc.

Since you don't know what a Virtual Drive is, don't worry about it. Just use VLC. Mounting a virtual drive is adding another drive to your computer (just like a DVD player). If you add an ISO file to it, then it would play just as if you had a disc that you put into your computer. As I said, don't worry about it. Some people already have them set up but if you don't, don't

Hardware VS software encoding. The brilliant idea was to have hardware encoding -- a video card or chip to encode certain transitions and to speed up the encoding of a file from the native format to mpg2 for putting on a disc. It has become very troublesome for some people. Roxio gave the options to encode using the software. This was supposed to be slower, not handle certain transitions and to give a marginally poorer output. That is not the case. Sometimes software encoding gives faster and better performance and seems to be more stable.

In Video Wave or My DVD, go to the top menu and select tools, then options, and then put a dot near software. See if that works better.

PAL is outside the US, NTSC is for US and a couple of other areas. We don't know where you are. It is set when you open a new project and select Project Settings from the top menu in My DVD.

As for Progressive VS Interlaced, I asked just in case you played with that setting.

Whew, sorry for the long post but there was a lot of important information in there. Please take time to read it all. Here is what my default project settings look like. (I'm in the US)

post-58-1214258138.jpg

PLEASE DON'T BE SORRY FOR ALL THE INFO. Your response was extremely enlightening and very informative. I am going to go back to the production tomorrow and look at everything you suggested. As for the statement regarding PAL or NTSC - "We don't know where you are". There are days when I don't even know where I am. Actually, in the midwest in the middle of the US. But I had no idea what NTSC meant. I always like having things explained to me so I can use and save the info for future use. Will get back to you in a day or so. Thank you once again. MK

I apologize for not getting back to you. Horrible wind storm came thru a week ago, no power, trees and limbs everywhere, so haven't had a chance to do much. Going to save it to an ISO file and see what happens. Will be a few days though. thanks. MK

VLC is a free downloadable program that will play just about all video files including an ISO file.

An ISO file is an exact image of what will be on a DVD after it is burned. If you can encode to the ISO file and it looks OK in VLC then the problem is not in the encoding. To create an ISO file in My DVD, when you go to burn, uncheck burn to disc or to folder and check file. Name the file and the location you want it place. The file will encode separately from burning. You can check the burn quality using VLC. If it is OK, you simply use Disc Copier or Creator Classic to copy the ISO file to a disc.

Since you don't know what a Virtual Drive is, don't worry about it. Just use VLC. Mounting a virtual drive is adding another drive to your computer (just like a DVD player). If you add an ISO file to it, then it would play just as if you had a disc that you put into your computer. As I said, don't worry about it. Some people already have them set up but if you don't, don't

Hardware VS software encoding. The brilliant idea was to have hardware encoding -- a video card or chip to encode certain transitions and to speed up the encoding of a file from the native format to mpg2 for putting on a disc. It has become very troublesome for some people. Roxio gave the options to encode using the software. This was supposed to be slower, not handle certain transitions and to give a marginally poorer output. That is not the case. Sometimes software encoding gives faster and better performance and seems to be more stable.

In Video Wave or My DVD, go to the top menu and select tools, then options, and then put a dot near software. See if that works better.

PAL is outside the US, NTSC is for US and a couple of other areas. We don't know where you are. It is set when you open a new project and select Project Settings from the top menu in My DVD.

As for Progressive VS Interlaced, I asked just in case you played with that setting.

Whew, sorry for the long post but there was a lot of important information in there. Please take time to read it all. Here is what my default project settings look like. (I'm in the US)

PLEASE DON'T BE SORRY FOR ALL THE INFO. Your response was extremely enlightening and very informative. I am going to go back to the production tomorrow and look at everything you suggested. As for the statement regarding PAL or NTSC - "We don't know where you are". There are days when I don't even know where I am. Actually, in the midwest in the middle of the US. But I had no idea what NTSC meant. I always like having things explained to me so I can use and save the info for future use. Will get back to you in a day or so. Thank you once again. MK

I apologize for not getting back to you. Horrible wind storm came thru a week ago, no power, trees and limbs everywhere, so haven't had a chance to do much. Going to save it to an ISO file and see what happens. Will be a few days though. thanks. MK

No need to apologize. We just hope that you, your family and your property are OK. Where are you in the world?

Archived