• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Attempting To Instal Sonic Dla Breaks All Cd Functionality

mike@dcs

Question

I've been trying for about a year now to restore the DLA functionality I used to have with Direct CD a program I had used for years to make stacks of discs, but whose installation disc I lost and you people acted like you had no software backup from which to replace my disc. So, silly trusting me, I bought the successor bloatware called Creator 9. Over many months and many re-installs I was never able to get the DLA functionality to work. After many unsuccessful and frustrating calls to the cadre of chairwarmers you have the chutzpah to call customer support technicians, one of them let it slip that there was a product called Sonic DLA that had only the DLA functionality without the rest of the bloat of Creator 9. So, doubly silly and trusting me, I bought it too. That was back in July of last year. Since then I've been trying to unsuccessfully make this dog work.

I've run your 'remove CD creator' program, I've tediously combed the registry for any string that contains either 'Roxio' or Sonic' after every putzed install. I've done your 'remove these files and registry keys' dance before re-installing. I've even re-installed the operating system (XP SP2 and now SP3). All with exactly the same effect: nada!

Every install proceeds like this:

1) I run the .exe file and agree to the license, enter the key and files appear to be extracted and installed.

2) After reboot the registration screen pops up. The first few hundred installs I tried to go through the procedure but it rarely succeeds, so for the last few hundred install attempts I just bomb out and get back to the desktop.

3) Then I load a blank CD into the drive, close the door and the activity light flashes at about 2 Hz for about 5 seconds and then stops

4) Nothing else happens.

Then I try to access the CD drive through the icon in 'My Computer' and get an error box that sez:

E;/ is not accessible

Incorrect Function

Is there any hope or does your stuff just not work?

mmm

8 answers to this question

1) the question was in the previous post (that's where the concept of a thread comes into play). To repeat the question:

I've been trying for about a year now to restore the DLA functionality I used to have with Direct CD a program I had used for years to make stacks of discs, but whose installation disc I lost and you people acted like you had no software backup from which to replace my disc. So, silly trusting me, I bought the successor bloatware called Creator 9. Over many months and many re-installs I was never able to get the DLA functionality to work. After many unsuccessful and frustrating calls to the cadre of chairwarmers you have the chutzpah to call customer support technicians, one of them let it slip that there was a product called Sonic DLA that had only the DLA functionality without the rest of the bloat of Creator 9. So, doubly silly and trusting me, I bought it too. That was back in July of last year. Since then I've been trying to unsuccessfully make this dog work.

I've run your 'remove CD creator' program, I've tediously combed the registry for any string that contains either 'Roxio' or Sonic' after every putzed install. I've done your 'remove these files and registry keys' dance before re-installing. I've even re-installed the operating system (XP SP2 and now SP3). All with exactly the same effect: nada!

1) I run the .exe file and agree to the license, enter the key and files appear to be extracted and installed.

2) After reboot the registration screen pops up. The first few hundred installs I tried to go through the procedure but it rarely succeeds, so for the last few hundred install attempts I just bomb out and get back to the desktop.

3) Then I load a blank CD into the drive, close the door and the activity light flashes at about 2 Hz for about 5 seconds and then stops

4) Nothing else happens.

Then I try to access the CD drive through the icon in 'My Computer' and get an error box that sez:

E;/ is not accessible

Incorrect Function

The only response to this question were posts to the effect of: "you silly dufus, nobody uses an unreliable format like DLA to make discs". Which, aside from the fact that this particular dufus has a long and successful history using DLA formated discs, is not an answer to the question.

Have I now made the question clear?

2) Now that the question is back on the table is there any hope of an answer.

3) Of course I've contacted Roxio "support". They sent me a long, tedious list of all sorts of things (sub-directories, registry keys, even cookies and browsing histories) to delete. None of it made a whit of difference. I told them that and the "support" ticket has been open and unanswered since then. So much for Roxio "support".

So now the real issue is this: Is this one of the 'very few problems the assembled users here can't fix'? It probably involves a missing driver and/or registry entry. Its resolution will require someone who actually understands how the fundamental infrastructure that supports CD drives under XP actually works. Anyone like that in earshot?

mmm

Hello Mike,

So now the real issue is this: Is this one of the 'very few problems the assembled users here can't fix'? It probably involves a missing driver and/or registry entry.
Combing laboriously through your posts and ignoring the pugnatiousness, misdirections, and insults in it, your problem seems to boil down to . . .

4) Nothing else happens.

E;/ is not accessible

Incorrect Function

If this is the essence of it, what were you hoping to happen?

DLA can't operate on a blank disc, so any attempt to access the disc by drive letter access won't work. The incorrect function is trying to write to an unformatted disc.

Nowhere in your rants do you mention formatting the disc first, or attempting to do so.

You talk at length about installing/uninstalling/reinstalling/registering, but say specifically that "3) Then I load a blank CD into the drive,"

Try right-clicking in Windows Explorer on E: and then selecting to format the disc first. After that, DLA should work for you.

Fraternal regards,

Brendon

Doesn't matter. The keyword was mentioned so he got the recorded message.

He still doesn't seem to have worked out that the users on this board aren't "Roxio".

1) This question is not about the robustness of DLA written data. It is about the fact that a particular product, to wit: Sonic DLA, does not even correctly launch its own user interface after installation, and in addition breaks the OS' ability to access the drive. Regardless of how robust the data that gets written is (and in my not inconsiderable experience with the Direct CD product it has been far more robust than anyone here is willing to admit), there is a fundamental expectation on my part that if I install an application it will come up and run. If, while running it doesn't behave well, that is another issue entirely. If I ever get past the part where the application's own user interface doesn't even come up, the issue of it not doing a very good job of the functionality it is supposed to implement may be the next issue. But we're not even there yet.

2) The logo at the top of this forum is Roxio's. The only user support that Roxio pretends to offer is this forum. Their customer 'support' page directs customers to this forum. Do you in fact support Roxio products or is this entire site just a sop that lets Roxio pretend that they care about customers and provide support without either being the case?

3) If you don't support Roxio, does anyone else?

4) Has anyone within the scope of this site ever actually made a Roxio product work?

(1) No question found

(2) The denizens of this board are users of the software, not employees of Roxio. Some employees come through at times, and the boards are supervised by John from Customer Support. Roxio employees and any posts they make are clearly labelled as such.

We users support each other in the use of Sonic/Roxio products, and the employees who come through also support us all.

(3) answered in (2)

(4) the bulletin boards are for those customers who have run out of free support, who have OEM versions not supported by Roxio/Sonic, or are too impatient to wait for results from Roxio's Customer Support. There are very few problems the assembled users here can't fix, and those few we point back to the official Customer Support.

Now, a question for you. Have YOU ever approached Roxio's Customer Support with your problem?

Regards,

Brendon

4) Nothing else happens.

E;/ is not accessible

Incorrect Function

mmm

If you want to talk to Roxio, you need to contact them directly. This is a users forum, and we aren't Roxio.

Also, using a Packet-Writing program - any Packet-Writing program, be it Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, Roxio's DirectCD or Drag2Disc - is NOT a reliable means of long-term backup. It is less reliable when combined with RW media.

Lynn

The user was informed almost a year ago of the problems with packet writing..... http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry132150

Archived