• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
JayI

Backup Mypc Keeps Trying To Instal....drivin Me Nuts

Question

HI

Thanks for any help.

A couple of years ago I had, for a brief time, EMC 9.

I never installed, or even knew there was a program made by Sonic included, so this error is particularly a surprise.

The Sonic installer starts upon boot up and when starting several applications.

The first window indicates that WIndows is configuring Sonic Backup MYPc

The next tries to instal but stops with a message stating that the "Installation package can not be found" and to "try installing again with a valid copy of the installation package."

I have search the C: for entries Roxio and Sonic and find nothing.

In a registry search for Roxio and Sonic I find several Legacy entries for Roxio that I can not delete and nothing unser Sonic.

Really getting annoying.

Hope for some help with stopping this installer.

Thanks

J

Edited by JayI

6 answers to this question

Go here and download the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility.It's about a third of the way down the page.Install and run it.Look for Roxio or Sonic entries.

If you find any highlight and hit remove.

Be careful,if you have any Roxio or Sonic apps you do use it will delete the record of them being installed.

Edited by tbrewst

Go here and download the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility.It's about a third of the way down the page.Install and run it.Look for Roxio or Sonic entries.

If you find any highlight and hit remove.

Be careful,if you have any Roxio or Sonic apps you do use it will delete the record of them being installed.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion- already tried the Windows Install app. Nothing there.

I can not find anything related to Sonic or Roxio and the #$^@ installer keeps starting at boot and when starting some apps.

Any help appreciated.

j

If you suspect that this is caused by fragments or remainders of EMC 9 [which could be the case] you might try running through the Clean uninstall procedure which is listed in the Roxio KnowledgeBase (click here).

Just go through the instructions to see if you find anything that is listed in them is still present on your system. Most of the things listed will no longer be there, but if you find something that the instructions say to delete, then delete it. The clean uninstall procedure is designed to get all those bits out.

Another thing you may try is to download RegSeeker.It's a registry cleaner.

When you use it tell it to search for Roxio and Sonic and it will search the registry for that keyword and you can delete the keys manually.That's part of what the Clean install does but this is a more complete way of doing it.You could also go to regedit and do it manually,one entry at a time.

Something is kicking off the install routine and it's probably an entry in the registry.

Once again be careful if you have any other Roxio or Sonic apps that you use.This will destroy them.

Another thing you may try is to download RegSeeker.It's a registry cleaner.

When you use it tell it to search for Roxio and Sonic and it will search the registry for that keyword and you can delete the keys manually.That's part of what the Clean install does but this is a more complete way of doing it.You could also go to regedit and do it manually,one entry at a time.

Something is kicking off the install routine and it's probably an entry in the registry.

Once again be careful if you have any other Roxio or Sonic apps that you use.This will destroy them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Prior to posting, I had searched the registry with JVPower Tools, Tune Up Untilities 2008 and through Windows (regedit), searching for both Sonic and Roxio.

The only enteries are Legacy and can not delete them and dont appear related to installation- mostly emulation keys.

Using Windows Install Clean Up, Add/Remove Progs. and other system uninstallers (Revo, CCleaner), I can find no trace of Sonic or Roxio installations.

Really baffling.

The Sonic BackUp MyPC, and this is just plain weird, starts up when I go to the task bar, right click and scroll to the top, to "ToolBars," the installer initiates right when the mouse touches the "Toolbar" carrot.

It does not start when touching or clicking onto any other selections (right clicking th task bar: Properties, Task Mgr, Lock Task Bar, Cascade Windoww, et) only the Toolbar selection at the top......

I am at a loss.

Would uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Installer help?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

J

Replacing Windows Installer shouldn't hurt. Do you have the new version?