Why Only Importing First Chapter Of Movie

adomer

Question

I have been having a problem importing video from DVD. I am importing from DVDs made from my camcorder. All of the seperate movies, and extras are being recognized, and I can look at all the chapters. If I selet all and import, it will import fine, but when I watch the video, the only thing imported is the first chapter if there are multiple chapters in a movie. If I select the other chapters which were not imported, it will import, but always 0.26 sec of video or so. It will not import the whole scene. I have looked around to see if I ahve a setting wrong, but I cannot figure this out. If anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

My video camera records in MPEG-2 format

And the disc is formatted in either Video or VR format which is what Syrallas asked…

The sysmptoms you describe indicate it is using VR format and you will have to put the disc back into the camcorder and Finalize it in order to capture from it.

My video camera records in MPEG-2 format

What make/model camcorder do you have? My camcorder records in mpeg format as well but whenever I put in a new disc, I need to choose a recording mode before I can make recordings. Sorry Jim I didn't see your post.

sorry guys.. got tied up with some work stuff. Anyways, When I go to media import, I can only get the first chapter of any "movie". You are right... the way it works importing from a disc really stinks because of the fragmenting of it all. It seems like it is very inconsistent. I think that I have come to the resolution that the only way I am going to be able to import my media files is to go through video wave, and then to break it all down from there. A pain, but at least I can get the job done. I think this is an unfortunate quirk of maybe my camcorder, and the software which causes some sort of problem with the fragmentation of the files. Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

thanks

sorry guys.. got tied up with some work stuff. Anyways, When I go to media import, I can only get the first chapter of any "movie". You are right... the way it works importing from a disc really stinks because of the fragmenting of it all. It seems like it is very inconsistent. I think that I have come to the resolution that the only way I am going to be able to import my media files is to go through video wave, and then to break it all down from there. A pain, but at least I can get the job done. I think this is an unfortunate quirk of maybe my camcorder, and the software which causes some sort of problem with the fragmentation of the files. Thanks for the help. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

thanks

Glad to hear you can at least get it in to your system to work with.

I know I am going to get killed for suggesting this, but if your pc has the capability of a/v input, I have done this type of capture w/ a dozen or so mini-discs I (sadly) recorded in vr mode. I think the quality is darn good, and it captures all footage.

I now only record in video mode, capturing is much easier that way, and I really don't do that much editing in the camera to justify vr mode recording. Besides, I can edit it in Videowave. Just a thought....

Adomer, have you tried copying the files, from the miniDVD, to a folder on your hard drive, then bringing them into VideoWave, one file at a time? I am not sure if it will work, but I do know that if there is more that one .vob file in the Video_TS file, VideoWave will prompt you whether or not you want to bring all of the .vob files in.

I would only select the first one, bring it in, then go through the same procedure and only select the 2nd one, and so forth until all are in your production.

I am not sure that this will bring them in at chapter points, because I don't have any miniDVD's to work with, but it is worth a shot.

Not a bad idea Tom…

A variation would be to plug the camcorder into an DVD Recorder and record the output.

A tip for both the camcorder as well as DVD Recorders. Use DVD 'plus' media. It will come out ready to go without any fuss! (of course some devices are locked into using 'dash' media.)

I have been having a problem importing video from DVD. I am importing from DVDs made from my camcorder. All of the seperate movies, and extras are being recognized, and I can look at all the chapters. If I selet all and import, it will import fine, but when I watch the video, the only thing imported is the first chapter if there are multiple chapters in a movie. If I select the other chapters which were not imported, it will import, but always 0.26 sec of video or so. It will not import the whole scene. I have looked around to see if I ahve a setting wrong, but I cannot figure this out. If anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What was the recording mode you used when recording the videos? Video or VR Mode or some other format?

sorry guys... as you can tell, I am somewhat new at this. I have used both RW discs in VF format and DVD-R discs. I have finalized both types before attempting to capture the video from the discs. I have a hitachi ultravision camcorder using mini DVDs. I don't know if that helps or not. I have found that going into video wave and adding video, I can get the video imported, but it is a much more cumbersome method of importing the video instead of being able to do it by media import. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Tom and I are falling all over each other trying to help you. I hope we can get untangled. :D

OK, you are Finalizing the discs and you do have a way to import them…

I don't have a camcorder that uses discs but I do see how the starting and stopping could produce problems. VR mode is troublesome because it allows the disc to be used by fragmenting storage space instead of the contiguous files created in Video format.

Will Media Import bring in the whole disc like it is doing in VideoWave? That may be the only solution for you to use.

Tom and I are falling all over each other trying to help you. I hope we can get untangled. :D

OK, you are Finalizing the discs and you do have a way to import them…

I don't have a camcorder that uses discs but I do see how the starting and stopping could produce problems. VR mode is troublesome because it allows the disc to be used by fragmenting storage space instead of the contiguous files created in Video format.

Will Media Import bring in the whole disc like it is doing in VideoWave? That may be the only solution for you to use.

I will always defer to you, Jim. :rolleyes:

I didn't post last night but I spent a good deal of time trying to find out what "VF format" was, w/o much success. I was getting hits for "very faint" or some crazy thing like that. I am curious to see if, as Jim asks, Media Import can bring in the whole project.

Archived