• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cropping Problems

sj022698

Question

In photosuite in this, is there a way that I can "custom" crop and then use another like 4x6. Everytime I use the custom crop and then it just goes back to normal when I go to 4x6. Rather than custom cropping, saving, open it again and then use the 4x6

9 answers to this question

In photosuite in this, is there a way that I can "custom" crop and then use another like 4x6. Everytime I use the custom crop and then it just goes back to normal when I go to 4x6. Rather than custom cropping, saving, open it again and then use the 4x6

You might try applying your custom crop, then do a File > Save As, then go back and apply the 4x6 crop while the image is still open in PhotoSuite, and then File > Save As. If you are going to crop the 4x6 out of a crop of the original, then you would be able to crop the 4x6 directly fom the original. Make sure you close the crop box after each to apply the crop.

You might try applying your custom crop, then do a File > Save As, then go back and apply the 4x6 crop while the image is still open in PhotoSuite, and then File > Save As. If you are going to crop the 4x6 out of a crop of the original, then you would be able to crop the 4x6 directly fom the original. Make sure you close the crop box after each to apply the crop.

That sucks. So, I have to manually save everyone after using the custom and then do the 4x6...That's one reason I like MGI Photosuite. I liked the simplicity of it for certain things

Yeah, I just tried it that way. That is stupid. If I'm custom cropping 100 pictures, then have to reopen 100 pictures to crop 4x6 so they print right. What a waste of time. Guess I'm off to find another program

That sucks. So, I have to manually save everyone after using the custom and then do the 4x6...That's one reason I like MGI Photosuite. I liked the simplicity of it for certain things

Yeah, I just tried it that way. That is stupid. If I'm custom cropping 100 pictures, then have to reopen 100 pictures to crop 4x6 so they print right. What a waste of time. Guess I'm off to find another program

You shouldn't have to reopen them using the method I described. Try this,

Apply your custom crop, then go to File > Save As, and save the image in whatever format you want, ie custom_image.jpg. Now the image is still open in PhotoSuite. Make your 4x6 crop and then go to File > Save As and name it whatever you want, ie 4x6 image.jpg. Now you have the two files, one with your custom crop, and one with your 4x6 crop. (Actually you will have three, because you will still have your original to archive.)

Unless what you mean is that you are custom cropping and then trying to resize that crop to 4x6?

Unless what you mean is that you are custom cropping and then trying to resize that crop to 4x6?

This is what I'm trying to do. I really like that feature as I could get as close as I wanted and then I could hit 4x6 or whatever size to make sure I'm ok when ordering

This is what I'm trying to do. I really like that feature as I could get as close as I wanted and then I could hit 4x6 or whatever size to make sure I'm ok when ordering

I'm not familiar with the MGI version. The 4x6 crop size is only aspect ratio, so you can resize it and drag it around to get the best crop area for that dimension. I'm not sure I understand the utility of the extra custom crop.

I'm not familiar with the MGI version. The 4x6 crop size is only aspect ratio, so you can resize it and drag it around to get the best crop area for that dimension. I'm not sure I understand the utility of the extra custom crop.

Maybe it's me not understanding but how I did it in the past was use just a custom crop to keep whatever I want. However, it rarely was the right size for printing whether it be 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc... So, say I had an elongated photo after cropping, I could choose 4x6 and it would give me the outline so I knew what else needed to be cut off before I went to print

For example, I have an original photo (landscape), and I want to keep it as a landscape but get rid of each of the sides and keep the focus on the object in the middle. So, in the past I would just do a custom and bring the left and right in until I got to the object. I would then crop. I would then hit 4x6 and it would basically let me know where the top/botton need to be to print correctly

In addition, even if I crop and then save it and then open that file, it still reverts to original

Maybe it's me not understanding but how I did it in the past was use just a custom crop to keep whatever I want. However, it rarely was the right size for printing whether it be 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc... So, say I had an elongated photo after cropping, I could choose 4x6 and it would give me the outline so I knew what else needed to be cut off before I went to print

For example, I have an original photo (landscape), and I want to keep it as a landscape but get rid of each of the sides and keep the focus on the object in the middle. So, in the past I would just do a custom and bring the left and right in until I got to the object. I would then crop. I would then hit 4x6 and it would basically let me know where the top/botton need to be to print correctly

That makes sense. I think tho that if you use the 4x6 crop, you will find it eliminates the extra step. Choose the 4x6 crop and then use the corner handles to drag it in to surround the areas that you want to keep. To adjust, click on it and drag it around to get in whatever you want to be in your final image. if you want a little more in your image, adjust the corner handle out a bit, etc. I think you will find it faster this way. Just be careful not to drag in from the sides, as that will change the aspect ratio to other than 4x6.

Edited: Sorry forgot to mention, don't forget to check the landscape button :)

In addition, even if I crop and then save it and then open that file, it still reverts to original

Are you closing the crop dialog box after cropping? That applies the crop. What format are you saving in? I'll try to reproduce it.

That makes sense. I think tho that if you use the 4x6 crop, you will find it eliminates the extra step. Choose the 4x6 crop and then use the corner handles to drag it in to surround the areas that you want to keep. To adjust, click on it and drag it around to get in whatever you want to be in your final image. if you want a little more in your image, adjust the corner handle out a bit, etc. I think you will find it faster this way. Just be careful not to drag in from the sides, as that will change the aspect ratio to other than 4x6.

Edited: Sorry forgot to mention, don't forget to check the landscape button :)

Are you closing the crop dialog box after cropping? That applies the crop. What format are you saving in? I'll try to reproduce it.

Actually, I now understand. I was not using the white boxes in the corner. I was adjusting with the sides/top. It make sense now. Thanks as it does save steps!

Actually, I now understand. I was not using the white boxes in the corner. I was adjusting with the sides/top. It make sense now. Thanks as it does save steps!

Thanks for letting us know that works for you. Good luck with your project :)

Archived