Jump to content
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online

Feb. 17, 2009, Deadline


cdanteek

Recommended Posts

Best Buy: Americans Confused About TV Transition

 

A Best Buy survey conducted by GfK Research North America found that while 88% of U.S. consumers are aware of the coming transition to digital broadcasts on the TV, many are still confused as to why it’s happening — and what needs to be done to prepare.

 

About 60% know about the Feb. 17, 2009, deadline to adjust for the change to digital broadcasts, but nearly half (45%) of those surveyed who hadn’t yet prepared for the transition were going to wait until after the deadline to take action. Meanwhile, 54% didn’t understand why the government-mandated transition is happening (to free up portions of the broadcast spectrum for public and safety services, as well as advanced wireless services).

 

Other statistics from the survey include: 31% of TV owners don’t know if their TVs are analog or digital; 43% of consumers who will prepare for the transition plan to subscribe to cable or satellite; 21% of the households that have done nothing to prepare believe it to be too expensive; and 18% think nothing will happen, and that their analog broadcasts will continue to appear as they do now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best Buy: Americans Confused About TV Transition

 

A Best Buy survey conducted by GfK Research North America found that while 88% of U.S. consumers are aware of the coming transition to digital broadcasts on the TV, many are still confused as to why it’s happening — and what needs to be done to prepare.

 

About 60% know about the Feb. 17, 2009, deadline to adjust for the change to digital broadcasts, but nearly half (45%) of those surveyed who hadn’t yet prepared for the transition were going to wait until after the deadline to take action. Meanwhile, 54% didn’t understand why the government-mandated transition is happening (to free up portions of the broadcast spectrum for public and safety services, as well as advanced wireless services).

 

Other statistics from the survey include: 31% of TV owners don’t know if their TVs are analog or digital; 43% of consumers who will prepare for the transition plan to subscribe to cable or satellite; 21% of the households that have done nothing to prepare believe it to be too expensive; and 18% think nothing will happen, and that their analog broadcasts will continue to appear as they do now.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I have read, 70% of the TV viewers in the US are using cable or satellite. So February 17, 2009 will not have much impact on them. It's the remaining 30% that will need to take action. With the economy bad, it could be a financial issue for some. The analog to digital conversion box may not be enough in fringe areas. A better antenna might also be required along with perhaps cable change outs due to weaknesses with digital signals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...