• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Media Player Has Stopped Working

Frogprintz

Question

I just purchased a new Sony Vaio All-in-One PC. Model VCG-LT29U. Dual core, 4MB Ram, 1 TB disk, on board NVIDIA. Windows Vista Ultimate. This PC came with EMC 9 Lite installed. All features worked just fine with no problems. I upgraded to EMC 10. When I then tried to open video files with Windows Media Player (created with Videowave and other MPeg2 media applications), I received the following error message, "Windows media player has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." WMV. AVI, MP4 file formats all work OK. I only get the error message when trying to play MPeg2 files. All standard Microsoft codecs are installed, including cinepak. I assume Roxio would also include any special codec required for Videowave file playback. So at this point, I don't think the problem is codec related.

I have tried every suggestion given. I re-formatted my drive. I uninstalled all Roxio and Sonic Programs. I did a complete registry cleanup. I have upgraded to all the Windows upgrades, including Service Pack 1. Uninstalled virus/firewall software, disabled Windows Defender. Nothing works!!! I continue to get the same error. When I uninstall again and revert back to Roxio 9 full version, or, the lite version, everything works great.

EMC 10 itself seems to work OK. It's only Windows Media Player that will not work!!!! This is very frustrating and Roxio Support adds to the frustration by telling me to try what I've already tried over and over again. It's like they are not reading my problem description carefully or fully before they make a suggestion. VERY ANGERING, as this only wastes my time without a result. I have re-stated the problem 4 times to them without anything new being offered. :angry::angry2:

Can any of you offer help? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

When I Google this problem, there are a number of comments, none of which are specific or offer a workable solution that is fully explained. Surely somebody knows what is going on.

At this point I have reverted back to my original installation using EMC 9, since I cannot get EMC 10 to work without getting the Windows Media Player error, which is unaccpetable. I have spent hours, and hours, formating, re-installing, etc., and am loath to do this again without a positive solution available.

EMC 10 works great on Win XP, not so on Vista.

I also have spent hundred of dollars to buy Sonic DVDit Pro, and DVDit Pro HD, only to find they too will not work with Vista. When complaining about this, Roxio support told me they have no plans to update DVDit to vista compatibility. Thus, stranding all users of these expensive applications (that work great with XP), to the scrap bin. This alone is outrageous, and tells me Roxio/Sonic doesn't give a #$^@ about their customers, or marketplace, or reputation!!

Here is the response script they last sent me: I tried everything suggested, and more. As I said previously, the support tech obviously didn't read my complaint fully or completely. Ridiculous!

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

Remove all other burning softwares.

Do a clean installation of EMC: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

For Vista: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

Create a new user account with administrator rights and install EMC10 from the new user.

Disable your Internet Security or Windows Defender and Start EMC.

Allow EMC in your internetsecurity.

http://support.roxio.com

Have you tried our online self-service tools?

RoxAnn & Knowledgebase - http://support.roxio.com

23 answers to this question

Interesting information from "Who Are You". I found some tool as well information on how to correct merit errors. http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm#filmerit1

Cheers

Thanks for the link, wish I had it while troubleshooting my problem. In my case, since the mpeg's played eventually, it was just an inconvenience, but in Frogprintz case I can understand his frustrations. As I indicated, I had this problem several months ago and some of the what I did are now very hazy. I just hoped that due to the similiarity of the problems, i.e., mpegs, Vista, EMC10, WMP, that the solution that fixed my problem might help Frogprintz out with his problem. Hopefully, Frogprintz will post a followup if he gets his problem corrected. Right now, the merit business is in the realm of "smoke and mirrors", but I plan on learning more about merit business as time permits.

I just hope Frogprintz followed James advice to follow the clean install procedure EXACTLY. I am afraid many people rather than using the Microsoft utility as stated in the procedure, thinks "Oh, I can just uninstall EMC from the control panel since I know how to use that instead of downloading and using the Microsoft utility". The clean install will fail if this is done as the Microsoft utility lists EMC components that does no appear in the control panel's uninstall list, but must be removed for the clean install to be successful. It would be nice if the procedure was modified to include a warning that the Microsoft utility MUST be used rather than the control panel uninstall. While James and I have not always agreed, I hope he keeps pounding it into people's heads to follow the procedure EXACTLY and not take any shortcuts as he is 100% correct on this.

Edit: this appears to be a very common problem with WMP when installing video applications. When I was using XP and installed Sony's Vegas Movie Studio, WMP stopped playing one file type (forget which one now). Using google, problem was traced to a codec by Main Concepts that Vegas installed, the googled solution to that was to simply rename two files from somefilename.ax to somefilename.ax.old. Vegas MS still worked and WMP worked after doing this. Did not have this problem with Vista but was installing later version of Vegas MS also.

John at Roxio ....

The error message: "Windows media player has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I cannot click on the more, or details button, so there is no extra information available. This is all I have to go by. As stated previously, I have completed a "clean install" exactly as detailed. I re-installed the latest NVIDIA driver and Direct X. I have re-installed a fresh copy of WMP. Nothing seems to work.

I will try re-loading the default decoder later tonight.

As it turns out, this Particular Sony PC cannot function under XP. I've been on the phone wlth Sony for hours and finally asked if they had the hardware drivers in an XP version so that I could downgrade to something I know works. They told me my PC would not function under XP, despite the fact this is hard to believe. Nor can I make it dual-boot. I don't have any more time or energy to try and prove this wrong.

I tried this after I got home last night and had no problem.I captured some tv,imported into VideoWave and then Output as an mpeg2.I could then take that file and play it in WMP11 in Vista with no problem.

And yes, I DO EXPECT Roxio to help, since I spent $100 to upgrade to EMC 10 and cannot get it to work. All they have done so far is to provide a link to NVIDIA's driver website, with no explanation, details, or comment as to whether this is a known problem and solution. I find this unacceptable and COMPLAIN publically about it since they are NOT giving me any support.

I'll have the matter looked into. In the mean time, I think the above suggestion for the clean install is the right way to go. EMC 9 needed some activation to enable MPEG 2 playback and EMC 10 should do this automatically (internal to the program itself). It sounds like somehow in the upgrade this got messed up, so starting from scratch is the best way to proceed.

I finally solved the problem on my own.

I downloaded the K-lite Codec pack from the internet. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

This codec pack was originally designed for WMP version 6.4, so I didn't use it previously. However, with nothing to lose I went ahead and installed it.

During the installation, it REMOVED all the Roxio codecs and replaced them with K-lite versions.

After restarting and launching WMP, everything worked just fine. EMC 10 Also works just fine. Apparently Roxio's codecs are so hardware/3rd party application specific, they created a conflict. This was resolved with K-lites generic versions.

I am extremely surprised that Roxio support was not aware of this. Never-the-less, I done fixed it.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this terribly frustrating and time consuming issue.

Spam deleted.

I finally solved the problem on my own.

I downloaded the K-lite Codec pack from the internet. http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

This codec pack was originally designed for WMP version 6.4, so I didn't use it previously. However, with nothing to lose I went ahead and installed it.

During the installation, it REMOVED all the Roxio codecs and replaced them with K-lite versions.

After restarting and launching WMP, everything worked just fine. EMC 10 Also works just fine. Apparently Roxio's codecs are so hardware/3rd party application specific, they created a conflict. This was resolved with K-lites generic versions.

I am extremely surprised that Roxio support was not aware of this. Never-the-less, I done fixed it.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this terribly frustrating and time consuming issue.

Spam deleted.

You are the first person that I have seen, that has posted about having a problem with WMP going astray, after installing the EMC software. I have had EMC 7, 7.5, 8, 9, and now 10, on my computer, and I have never had a problem with the loss of WMP.

Your problem is so isolated that that may be the reason that Roxio support was not aware of it. Your problems may be due to the fact of your comptuer supposedly not working with XP, as pointed out by you in your next to last post.

I've got v10 working on Vista along side WMP11 and haven't experienced any problems so far.

I'm not sure if even in Vista WMP will play a Video with out a codec.In XP you can't just pop a DVD in and have WMP play it without an add on.Same could be true of 11 in Vista.

Are you saying that if you make a video in VideoWave and output it to a file that file won't play in WMP?

Or is it trying to play a DVD made in MyDVD won't play?

You also said "Made with VideoWave and other Mpeg2 media applications".Does this mean a different software app (Nero,NTI)?Or something else in the Suite (MyDVD)?

I can try this when I get home and see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's help. Obviously this is very frustrating.

To date, this is what I have done in my efforts to resolve the problem:

First off, I have been using EMC 10 since it's inception. My history with the EMC products date back to EMC 5.

1. Have absolutely no problems running under XP. Everything works fine.

2. Only recently upgraded to VISTA, and did so because it's increasingly difficult to purchase hardware with XP instead of VISTA.

3. Provided Roxio with DXDIAG.txt file that lists all drivers, versions, BIOS, etc.. No response yet.

4. Have been in direct communication with NVDIA and they assure me I have the latest driver installed, and no other driver will work with my system. So I do not have a driver update issue.

5. Have the latest Direct X installed.

6. Have VISTA SP1 installed (although the same problem existed before and after updating to SP1).

7. No VISTA error log generated.

8. Sony does not have any updated drivers or acknowledgement of problem.

9. Purchased another Sony for my business, exactly like the current model I'm using. Same problem. Before installing EMC 10, WMP worked fine. After installing EMC 10, same problem occurred just as before.

10. Problem does not surface with EMC 9.

11. Performed a complete clean install following the suggested steps. No difference.

12. Have been unable to detect any WMP issues pre- or -post EMC 10 installation. Cannot find anything on Microsoft site that specifically address this problem. Microsoft direct support will not help, since VISTA came bundled with the PC's.

At a complete loss where to go now that I have unsuccessfully tried all these potential remedies.

"I just hope Frogprintz followed James advice to follow the clean install procedure EXACTLY. I am afraid many people rather than using the Microsoft utility as stated in the procedure, thinks "Oh, I can just uninstall EMC from the control panel since I know how to use that instead of downloading and using the Microsoft utility". The clean install will fail if this is done as the Microsoft utility lists EMC components that does no appear in the control panel's uninstall list, but must be removed for the clean install to be successful. It would be nice if the procedure was modified to include a warning that the Microsoft utility MUST be used rather than the control panel uninstall. While James and I have not always agreed, I hope he keeps pounding it into people's heads to follow the procedure EXACTLY and not take any shortcuts as he is 100% correct on this."

This is not true.The MS utility does not do the same thing as the Uninstall routine from the Control Panel.

The uninstall routine removes the program,folders,files,registry entries and more.

All the Microsoft utility does is remove any remnants of the install instructions.

You are correct in that it should be used but after the uninstall from the Control Panel.If the uninstall does it's job correctly then you shouldn't see anything when you run the utility.You should only see a Roxio or Sonic entry if the uninstall went awry.

Both should be used to make sure that traces of the install routine are gone.

"I just hope Frogprintz followed James advice to follow the clean install procedure EXACTLY. I am afraid many people rather than using the Microsoft utility as stated in the procedure, thinks "Oh, I can just uninstall EMC from the control panel since I know how to use that instead of downloading and using the Microsoft utility". The clean install will fail if this is done as the Microsoft utility lists EMC components that does no appear in the control panel's uninstall list, but must be removed for the clean install to be successful. It would be nice if the procedure was modified to include a warning that the Microsoft utility MUST be used rather than the control panel uninstall. While James and I have not always agreed, I hope he keeps pounding it into people's heads to follow the procedure EXACTLY and not take any shortcuts as he is 100% correct on this."

This is not true.The MS utility does not do the same thing as the Uninstall routine from the Control Panel.

The uninstall routine removes the program,folders,files,registry entries and more.

All the Microsoft utility does is remove any remnants of the install instructions.

You are correct in that it should be used but after the uninstall from the Control Panel.If the uninstall does it's job correctly then you shouldn't see anything when you run the utility.You should only see a Roxio or Sonic entry if the uninstall went awry.

Both should be used to make sure that traces of the install routine are gone.

Thanks for your comments. In the instance where I had to re-install EMC10, the contol panel DID NOT remove all EMC10 components even though ALL EMC10/Roxio components were removed using the control panel and the re-install did not work - difference was the original problem was gone but a new problem existed. During the second clean re-install I did some checking. The Microsoft utility identified additional components that were not removed by the control panel and did not appear in the control panel before or after using control panel uninstall. I have no ideal why the uninstall using control panel did not remove those components. It just seems to me the procedure of using the utility and manually deleting the folders seems a more surefire way of making sure all traces are removed than the "is suppose to work" uninstall using control panel. I assumed that users knew the utility did not remove the folders as control panel does and that they would have to manually remove them. I was incorrect to assume this because having used this utility often in the past I was aware of this but should have realized new users of the utiltiy may not be aware of this.

I agree that both should be used to insure all traces are gone

Part of the problem is the MS Installer (msi) like most installers never does completely remove stuff (which I suppose is why MS had to bring out an uninstaller utility).

A lot of installation programs will tell you that there are things left which will have to be manually deleted, unfortunately msi isn't one of those

Part of the problem is the MS Installer (msi) like most installers never does completely remove stuff (which I suppose is why MS had to bring out an uninstaller utility).

Agree with this. That is why I feel using the utility and manually deleting folders is a more surefire method to use when re-installing EMC10 since it is critical that all traces of the previous install be removed. Actual tbrewst suggestion of running both (control panel uninstall and the utility) is even better.

I appreciate everyone's help. Obviously this is very frustrating.

To date, this is what I have done in my efforts to resolve the problem:

First off, I have been using EMC 10 since it's inception. My history with the EMC products date back to EMC 5.

1. Have absolutely no problems running under XP. Everything works fine.

2. Only recently upgraded to VISTA, and did so because it's increasingly difficult to purchase hardware with XP instead of VISTA.

3. Provided Roxio with DXDIAG.txt file that lists all drivers, versions, BIOS, etc.. No response yet.

4. Have been in direct communication with NVDIA and they assure me I have the latest driver installed, and no other driver will work with my system. So I do not have a driver update issue.

5. Have the latest Direct X installed.

6. Have VISTA SP1 installed (although the same problem existed before and after updating to SP1).

7. No VISTA error log generated.

8. Sony does not have any updated drivers or acknowledgement of problem.

9. Purchased another Sony for my business, exactly like the current model I'm using. Same problem. Before installing EMC 10, WMP worked fine. After installing EMC 10, same problem occurred just as before.

10. Problem does not surface with EMC 9.

11. Performed a complete clean install following the suggested steps. No difference.

12. Have been unable to detect any WMP issues pre- or -post EMC 10 installation. Cannot find anything on Microsoft site that specifically address this problem. Microsoft direct support will not help, since VISTA came bundled with the PC's.

At a complete loss where to go now that I have unsuccessfully tried all these potential remedies.

This is a long shot, but solved a problem I had with WMP after installing several video editing programs. Download Gspot, it is a free application, google for it to locate a place to download it. I am not at a machine that has Gspot on it so going from memory on this. In googling to find find a solution to my problem several solutions involved changing the merit for WMP filters and codecs.

1) Do this with a working copy of WMP before installing EMC10. Open WMP, under Help, open the "About Windows Media Player". In the popup that appears, at the bottom left, click on the "Technical Support Information" link.

2) the above will open a browser page, print this page to use for a reference.

3) Do a clean install of EMC again, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

4) The solutions I found by googling involved changing DMO merits. Using the two pages you printed out, you will see several additional items listed under Audio Codecs and Video Codecs for Type=DMO. These additional items are the ones I had to change.

5) Using Gspot, you will have to find a screen using the various menu listings on the top menu bar. I am not at a machine with GSPOT on it so cannot provide exact details. The screen you are looking for will have "Codecs and Filters" in the title. It seems like it was the first selection for the second menu item, but again not sure.

6) Once you find this screen, find the DMO entries in the "Type" column. Find the DMO entries for the additional entries you identified in step 4.

7) Right click on thes entries and in the popup there should be an entry about midways down about changing merit, click on this entry.

8) In my case, these additional entries had the merit set the same as the WMP default ones identified in step 2, i.e. "Preferred". I changed these additional items merit to "Do not use". Before changing the merit, I would recommend writing their current settings on the second page you printed out. You can then reset them to original settings if this does not work.

This fixed the problem I was having with WMP and the applications that had installed these new codecs and filters still works.

I do not know what all is involved with the merit business and how it works, nor do I really care other than the fact it fixed the problem I was having (just like I do not really care how the transmission in my car works, I just want it to work). Use this at your own risk plus I would highly recommend a backup image of your drive before trying this.

Note 1: in my case streaming mpegs would play, but it appeared they were being processed repeatedly before WMP would display them. The progress would go from 0 to 100%, then repeat 0-100% a couple of times before being displayed. Other video types worked ok. Since both problems, mine and yours, involved playing mpegs in WMP after installing video applications, I thought you might give this a try. Probably a long shot, but since nothing else appears to be working, might be worth the try.

Note 2: I might have done the same to the MPEG/DVD filters that appear on the two pages you printed out, I just do not remember since it has been a while since I did this. You might want to try the MPEG/DVD filters first before trying the DMO Codecs changes.

I've got v10 working on Vista along side WMP11 and haven't experienced any problems so far.

I'm not sure if even in Vista WMP will play a Video with out a codec.In XP you can't just pop a DVD in and have WMP play it without an add on.Same could be true of 11 in Vista.

Are you saying that if you make a video in VideoWave and output it to a file that file won't play in WMP?

Or is it trying to play a DVD made in MyDVD won't play?

You also said "Made with VideoWave and other Mpeg2 media applications".Does this mean a different software app (Nero,NTI)?Or something else in the Suite (MyDVD)?

I can try this when I get home and see what happens.

I'm saying that ANY and ALL MPeg2 files will not play in Windows Media Player after upgrading from EMC 9 to EMC 10. (Regardless as to whether these MPEG2 files were created in Video Wave, or any other application that can create an MPEG2 formatted file. i.e Adobe Premier, Ulead Video Studio, Movie Maker, etc.). I get the error message "Windows media player has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available," when I try. If I remove EMC 10, WMP works just fine. Or, if I revert back to EMC 9, WMP also works fine.

Apparently there is something in EMC 10, that is different in EMC 9, that prevents WMP from working. I cannot get Roxio to explain what this conflict may be. The support messages I get from them, simply give me a link to NVIDIA drivers. However, the link they provide is to VISTA 64 bit, which will not work, or, WIN XP, which also will not work with VISTA Ultimate 32 bit. They don't explain anything, just provide a link to these drivers which are completly incompatible with my system. According to NVIDIA's very helpful tech support staff, I have the latest VISTA ULTIMATE 32 BIT driver already installed on my system. And besides which, this driver wouldn't prevent WMP from working anyway.

In response to Jim Hardin ... your comment is rather insulting. I was not "ranting," simply providing as much detail as possible so that any reader kind enough to help, would have a complete understanding of my efforts. And yes, I DO EXPECT Roxio to help, since I spent $100 to upgrade to EMC 10 and cannot get it to work. All they have done so far is to provide a link to NVIDIA's driver website, with no explanation, details, or comment as to whether this is a known problem and solution. I find this unacceptable and COMPLAIN publically about it since they are NOT giving me any support. If you find this "ranting," then please don't respond anymore. If you can't be helpful, then don't say anything at all. I have a rather large video production studio and have spent $1000's of dollars buying Roxio/Sonic products, only to discover incompatiblities and little or no support. So keep your insults to yourself.

Anyone else that can help, or whom may have encountered the problem I have, would receive much appreciation for their kind assistance.

Can you give me some more details on the error message itself when WMP crashes? I need information the offending module/app. Generally clicking on the more or details button will give you this extra information.

Also you may want to check the default decoder used for MPEG2 before and after installing EMC 10. Check out this related article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306331

No "insult: was in my post. If I choose to insult you, it will not be subtle. :)

2 of us read your post and didn't positively understand what your problem was. Length of Post does not equate clarity.

Most problems are resolved when a user updates his Video Card drivers and/or DirectX. This is what support is trying to get you to do. If you realize that they linked you to the wrong set of updates, you are clearly clever enough to find the right ones. And it appears you have, good work!

I agree that these standard troubleshooting steps are probably not going to work in your case but nevertheless, it has to be done to cover all possibilities…

However, I think you are going to find that you are chasing the wrong problem. EMC 10 was introduced about 10 months ago. If it had a bug that caused problems with WMP someone would have noticed it by now…

I suggest this course: This is the Link to the Clean Install instructions.

1. Print the instructions and follow them to the letter but only through the uninstall phase.

2. At that point do what needs to be done to get WMP back together again.

3. Then finish the Clean Install procedure.

I think step 2 is going to be troublesome but at least this is some advice that is moving in the right direction. (I hope!) It may help if you list all of your system specs, like Terry and I have listed in our signature.

This is not an insult but an attempt to clarify and trouble shoot the issue.

You say you have a large production studio. Do you have any other computers running EMC 10 where the WMP is either running or not running?

Can you find any Vista OS error log that shows what is going on?

Archived