momuffin

System Start Up/msconfig

Hello,

The entries you see in MSCONFIG/startup are actually from one or more places in your registry.

The main registry key they come from is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" in Windows, but they can come from a few other keys.

Which entries are duplicated? There are some services which normally appear twice in some systems, depending on the operating system, and they should be left alone.

If there are some which shouldn't be duplicated but are, you can use MSconfig to "untick" one of the entries or if you're quite sure, you can remove one. To do that, you:-

-run REGEDIT,

-backup your registry,

-navigate to the key where those values live, and

-delete the duplicate.

Hello,

The entries you see in MSCONFIG/startup are actually from one or more places in your registry.

The main registry key they come from is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" in Windows, but they can come from a few other keys.

Which entries are duplicated? There are some services which normally appear twice in some systems, depending on the operating system, and they should be left alone.

If there are some which shouldn't be duplicated but are, you can use MSconfig to "untick" one of the entries or if you're quite sure, you can remove one. To do that, you:-

-run REGEDIT,

-backup your registry,

-navigate to the key where those values live, and

-delete the duplicate.

I wonder if it would be helpful to try something like CCleaner or Regseeker????

Thanks Paul and Brendon.

I've been using Weather Bug for several years and currently the kids like looking at the weather maps, etc.

That is one of the items - once listed as Weather, the other as MiniBug...I assume one can be taken out.

There's another - windows\system32\exSP_Px.exe - that's in there twice

One for AOL and MS Works - I no longer use either of those

And 2 items that have NO descriptors.....just the location HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

Is there somewhere on the web that will tell me what some of these items are/do??

Thanks Paul and Brendon.

I've been using Weather Bug for several years and currently the kids like looking at the weather maps, etc.

That is one of the items - once listed as Weather, the other as MiniBug...I assume one can be taken out.

And 2 items that have NO descriptors.....just the location HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

Is there somewhere on the web that will tell me what some of these items are/do??

As a matter of fact, there are a few places to look up what's in your msconfig start up. One of the best I've found is Sysinfo.org

Type in one of the items in your startup tab and see what you find. If you find something that's questionable and listed as a possible virus threat or spyware, don't just delete it as it may be something other than that. You can always uncheck it and reboot so it's not there when you start up and if you need it later, you can just put the check back.

Thanks Paul and Brendon.

Try google.

Altho I recently deleted some entries (for 3 former ISPs, all of which I discontinued using over 4 years ago), the registry is not a good place to go poking around.

Keep in mind that there is no "system restore" for the registry (other than having done a backup first). Mistakes are for keeps.

Lynn

Going to the registry that Brendon suggested is correct BUT, there are some programs when installed will NOT show in that particular registry key. Some of the startup items can be hidden. I use a free program called "START COP" (PC Magazine offered program) that will show you everything that is starting and has all kinds of options to stop, change, temporarily disable etc. That way I can find out if any particular startup is really necessary for the system to run correctly. I'm sure there are other utilities out there that will accomplish the same thing.

Frank....

As a matter of fact, there are a few places to look up what's in your msconfig start up. One of the best I've found is Sysinfo.org

Type in one of the items in your startup tab and see what you find. If you find something that's questionable and listed as a possible virus threat or spyware, don't just delete it as it may be something other than that. You can always uncheck it and reboot so it's not there when you start up and if you need it later, you can just put the check back.

Here's another full list zip. Half way down the page listed under THE PROGRAMS off-line page showing all items in one table - also includes a search facility. Includes a cascading style sheet (startups.css) that allows the page to be displayed the same off-line as the on-line version. Extract all files to the same directory

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_conte...hp#THE_PROGRAMS

cdanteek

Guest mlpasley

Unless you know what you're doing, the safest course would be to just 'uncheck' those entries.

That should help your system start up faster and if you have problems, you can always go back and put a check mark next to those entries.

Unless you know what you're doing, the safest course would be to just 'uncheck' those entries.

That should help your system start up faster and if you have problems, you can always go back and put a check mark next to those entries.

Yes that would be the way to do it. I have seen systems loaded with malware and spyware and unchecking it in msconfig and reboot only to rename it's self over and over, filling msconfig startup with a hundred entries. After removing the infection's, then a regcleaner that has a msconfig startup tab cleaner is used to remove the junk.

I look in msconfig and add and remove programs and know what's there. After a program install I look again and monitor often.

cdanteek

I'm also a little skittesh hacking into my registry, but one day, I'll go where I haven't gone before and try...

For now I just want to explore what these things are and do....I can recognize the items added by program installs, Drag to Disk (yuck), Weather Bug, McAfee, etc....

But there are some that, to me, look like some kind of "system" events and I'd like to knwo what they do. I've bookmarked the links provided (thanks folks) and will visit once off this board.

What I want to clean up are the redundant or orphan items....

Frank - where can I download START COP - for starters....

Thanks again to the Apprentices and Gurus