TheTumbleweed

Emc10 Loads At Startup. How Can I Stop It?

Question

15 answers to this question

I recently installed EMC10. It loads at each startup. I have searched for preferences to stop this behavior. Anyone know how to change this behavior?

What part loads? It is a Windows Start setting, not Roxio's. Use Window's Help for more information.

post-58-1214310735.jpg

What part loads? It is a Windows Start setting, not Roxio's. Use Window's Help for more information.

Thanks for response -- I checked Startup and found Google Updater, Vaio Action Setup, and Quickbooks listed.

I am running Vista so I am still not as comfortable with it as XP. When EMC10 loads, it opens to the Welcome screen. The preferences ae set to go to whatever area was used last. I wll try Help some more. If you have more ideas, feel free to share.

Thanks for response -- I checked Startup and found Google Updater, Vaio Action Setup, and Quickbooks listed.

I am running Vista so I am still not as comfortable with it as XP. When EMC10 loads, it opens to the Welcome screen. The preferences ae set to go to whatever area was used last. I wll try Help some more. If you have more ideas, feel free to share.

You don't need any of those at startup. Disable them, and in whatever the Vista equivalent of msconfig, uncheck all boxes that are Roxio.

You don't need any of those at startup. Disable them, and in whatever the Vista equivalent of msconfig, uncheck all boxes that are Roxio.

An of course you lose functionalities provided by these autostarts.

The only 'functionality' of entries in the start menu is a portion of the program is loaded into memory and it opens slightly faster.

All it really does is shave off a second or two in loading at the cost of resources

The only 'functionality' of entries in the start menu is a portion of the program is loaded into memory and it opens slightly faster.

All it really does is shave off a second or two in loading at the cost of resources

No. However there are autostart programs that are preloaders (like OpenOffice quick start feature for example), lots of program use autostart entries fe. for checking for updates or verifying configuration, not mentioning ones that set up some services in this way, required for the proper functioning of the "core" program.

No. However there are autostart programs that are preloaders (like OpenOffice quick start feature for example), lots of program use autostart entries fe. for checking for updates or verifying configuration, not mentioning ones that set up some services in this way, required for the proper functioning of the "core" program.

?? Yes

Opening the program itself does all that so you don"t need it in the Startup programs. I do not have Open Office in quick start and it works well and opens quickly. What specific programs (not services) need to be quick started to be able to run them properly. I agree that some services need to be started but that is not what we are talking about. Updaters should be run periodically and not automatically. Many will alert you when there is an update when you open the program. I really don't want to be notified of an update to another program when I'm doing video work in the Roxio program.

Edited by sknis

Opening the program itself does all that so you don"t need it in the Startup programs.

No, application may have separate module for these things.

I do not have Open Office in quick start and it works well and opens quickly. What specific programs (not services) need to be quick started to be able to run them properly. I agree that some services need to be started but that is not what we are talking about. Updaters should be run periodically and not automatically. Many will alert you when there is an update when you open the program. I really don't want to be notified of an update to another program when I'm doing video work in the Roxio program.

That's your opinion and your preference, others obviously may differ. Saying that "The only 'functionality' of entries in the start menu is a portion of the program is loaded into memory and it opens slightly faster." is in the best case imprecise.

Edited by another_two

Another_Two - allow me to let you into a little secret

NOT ONE of those startup items NEEDS to be there. They add nothing to functionaliyy of the apps, they're just 'quickstart' items or a descendant of the old MS Office 'Fast Find' utility which never found anything fast in its life

That's your opinion and your preference, others obviously may differ. Saying that "The only 'functionality' of entries in the start menu is a portion of the program is loaded into memory and it opens slightly faster." is in the best case imprecise.

You didn't answer my question about which programs needed to be in the start up menu other than security programs.

Many people try to get away with running the Roxio programs with extemely marginal computers. The less that starts up the better.

There are no absolutes and your opinions may differ.

Greetings again,

I am back. It took me a while to actually get to sit down and focus time on this. Nonetheless, I tried the Windows Help suggestion (thank you) however, I have not succeeded in getting EMC-10 from loading at startup.

I followed the instructions found at:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...2f914e1033.mspx

I "deleted" all things Roxio from Startup. Interesting to note that one Roxio item always comes back upon startup, even after deleting; Roxio_Central36.exe

The file type is: Application

The Startup Type: Registry: Current User

You think this is the culprit?

Other than this Roxio item, I do not see anything associated with EMC-10 listed. Any more ideas?

I am running Vista and don't find that entry in any Startup.

I used the directions from Microsoft you used that tell you to disable in Windows Defender and I don't see that as an entry.I also ran msconfig and don't see that in the Startup or Services tab.Roxio_central36.exe is the Home application.I find a way to tell it whether to start with the Home app or thelast used app but not how to stop it from starting.I can't remember but that may have been an option at install.

Since you looked in Defender,go to Start,Run and type in msconfig.When the box opens look in the Startup or Services tab and see if you find it.If you do uncheck it and reboot and then see what happens.

post-85-1215307301.jpg

post-85-1215307479.jpg

Edited by tbrewst

I am running Vista and don't find that entry in any Startup.

I used the directions from Microsoft you used that tell you to disable in Windows Defender and I don't see that as an entry.I also ran msconfig and don't see that in the Startup or Services tab.Roxio_central36.exe is the Home application.I find a way to tell it whether to start with the Home app or thelast used app but not how to stop it from starting.I can't remember but that may have been an option at install.

Since you looked in Defender,go to Start,Run and type in msconfig.When the box opens look in the Startup or Services tab and see if you find it.If you do uncheck it and reboot and then see what happens.

EXCELLENT, IT WORKED!!!

What a relief it is not to have to sit through that long load every time I boot up.

Thank you (and all the others) for taking the time to post. I need to remember this one.

Yeah,I don't know why Microsoft would tell you to disable from Defender instead of the System Configuration Utility.We've always just told people to use msconfig instead.