• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Canipik

Retaining Song Names On Cd

Question

I need to burn a music CD - not mp3 - and it has to retain the song names, not rename them track 1 etc. How can I do this? I have to send it to a record company asap but it's useless without track names for them to reference.

thanks

5 answers to this question

There should be an option in the Audio CD format for "Add CD Text"

Just to add a bit more information about this. When you insert an audio CD in a computer it will give the generic track info even when CD Text is enabled. That is because computers typically don't read CD Text. You can see the CD Text info is present by inserting the CD and choosing Disc Info in the Toast Recorder menu. Your record company can also look up the CD Text info that's on the disc. You also can choose Save as Disc Image and get a .Sd2f file that the record company can likely use. You would want to burn it as a Data disc so it doesn't become an audio CD. When the record company opens the .Sd2f file your album/artist/track info will appear in whatever application they use. You also could upload the track info to CDDB where it can automatically be downloaded each time someone places an identical audio CD in their computer.

Check with your record company how they would like you to furnish this.

thanks, I tried the CD text option and it didn't make any difference, but I only checked on my mac. Thank you for the other ideas too - I'm off to the CDDB to see how I can add the track listing to that.

thanks, I tried the CD text option and it didn't make any difference, but I only checked on my mac. Thank you for the other ideas too - I'm off to the CDDB to see how I can add the track listing to that.

You can add track info to CDDB from Toast. Insert the burned audio CD and choose Submit CD Track names from the Toast Recorder menu. You may first want to get the track info appearing on your CD. To get the track names transferred from CD Text to your Mac, go to this page at dougscripts.com and get the CD Text to cdinfo Applescript. This will write the track info to your Mac's cdinfo database file where the Finder and iTunes read to display that info. Note that this only writes it to your Mac and doesn't mean that other computers will show that info unless they can download it from CDDB.

iTunes can also upload to CDDB.

Many Mac drives dont support CD-Text. Some even support writing it, but not reading it. Test in a home stereo setup or your car's CD player if you have one.