• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Encryption With Roxio

bcphil

Question

Hello,

I am trying to retrieve data files from a CD that I burnt using Roxio Creater Classic. I no longer have the software but I have the Retrieve.exe file that is loaded automatically on the CD. I entered the password to decrypt the CD. Then, I clicked on the respective files I wanted and clicked on the retrieve button and identified the location where I wanted to copy the files. However, only the folders and folder structure were copied, NOT the individual files.

My questions are:

a) If my password allowed me to open and see the folders and files, then why does the project status still say "encrypt"? (Does this mean that I did not actuall decrypt the CD? If so, what do I need to do to get the individual files?)

B) If I forgot the password to decrypt the CD, then is there anyway to get around this or are those files lost forever? The files appear to be on a single disk (with "Source 2" in the Source Disc field).

Thanks,

BC.

3 answers to this question

I tried this a couple of ways, with a project on a single disc and one that spanned discs. I cannot replicate the empty folders…

In the Root there is a folder, $ROXIO$. In that folder is a file called LAYOUT.rcl. Open that file with Notepad and see if anything is under [split File 1]???

You do have to place a check mark in what you want to retrieve then click the Copy icon to extract the files…

post-39730-1214486171.jpg

To your last question, if you forgot it, forget it! The more security you place on anything increases your personal responsibility for its' recovery.

I tried this a couple of ways, with a project on a single disc and one that spanned discs. I cannot replicate the empty folders…

In the Root there is a folder, $ROXIO$. In that folder is a file called LAYOUT.rcl. Open that file with Notepad and see if anything is under [split File 1]???

You do have to place a check mark in what you want to retrieve then click the Copy icon to extract the files…

post-39730-1214486171.jpg

To your last question, if you forgot it, forget it! The more security you place on anything increases your personal responsibility for its' recovery.

Yes - I have been able to successfully recover files from other CDs where the source states "1". Additionally, I burnt music across multiple CDs and so when I opened the primary one, the system prompted me for the next CD automatically. I am confident I have the correct password given that I can see the unencrypted folder name and files. But the source says "2". Is this a multi-disc CD and simply a problem where I need to find the 1st CD where the source states "1"? I will look into the folder file called "LAYOUT.rcl" and see what it says.

Thanks!

Your password is correct or you will get nowhere! It will run Roxio Retrieve but you will not be able to recover any files until you enter the correct password.

If you think it is a multi disc project, look up top, it will say "Disc x of x Disc Set"

If it is a multi disc set and the files are on another disc, it will prompt, it leave nothing to guesswork.

Do you get the second message box after you click Copy?

Archived