Blue Screen Crash After Cd Eject Please Help!

coconuts

Question

I have been trying to figure out for months why my Dell 1705 crashes after ejecting a CD that I burn or has been burned using Sonic DLA. Normal music Cd's or movie DVDs are fine. I am running XP with all the lasest updates(SP 3). I have 22 discs of digital family photos that all crash after ejecting them. I have been burning with DLA for years and need to fix this. Disabling DLA prevents this, but also prevents burning data cd's.

Any help is appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Disabling DLA should not kill your ability to burn data discs.In fact if I were you I'd be burning those instead of DLA discs.They are packet written discs and inherently a bad way to save data long term.

Have you tried using msconfig to stop DLA from loading in the first place?

If you have not been using mouse-prompts or keyboard-prompts to leave Packet-Written discs (Sonic DLA, Roxio DirectCD and Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, etc), but just hitting the burner's eject button, I'd be amazed if all of the discs are readable. WinXP will eject when it's good and ready, and force-ejecting a Packet-Written disc is one of the faster ways to make it unreadable.

I'd suggest it's time to make sure you can read those 22 discs, and rescue any info on those to discs made with a Data burning project (it's called DataDisc on my RecordNow 7.3) on R media.

RW media is fine for things like testing, when if it doesn't work you can erase the disc and start over, but it is a very risky medium for long-term backups. Combining Packet-Writng and RW media seems to result in disc failure faster than by using either of the two separately.

Lynn

This is the procedure I follow:

#1 Put a new CDR in my laptop.

#2 Format CD

#3 Add as many files that I have.

#4 If CD is not full, I continue to write files as I get them until full.

#5 Make CD compatible and CD ejects by its self when finished.

Crashes occur when ever CD ejects. Whether automatic or through windows explorer.

These crashes started maybe 6 months ago. I have been saving data this way for years without a problem.

How else would I leave a partially full CD open so I could fill it up as I get more files?

Use the data cd writing app and then leave the disc open for more sessions.I'm not sure what application your using,nor do I know where the option is in every piece of software but you should be looking for an option that says "I would like to use discs for more than one recording...." or maybe a box that says Read-only disc that you can uncheck.

Check your help files for Session based disc.

If you're using Record now you may have a screen similar to this.

post-85-1214493997.jpg

You can also used the built-in WinXP burning - however, if you use a formatted disc it will probably grab the drive.

Generally, if you want to KEEP the data, DO NOT format the disc.

For WinXP, use a right-click > send to, and follow the prompts. WinXP makes discs that can be added to (appendable) unless you check the box for 'make readable on any computer' [or something like that - I'm not at the WinXP at present].

Lynn

PS: which is more important - the cost of a CD-R which is around 20 cents by the spindle, or keeping the .jpgs long-term?

Archived