• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Install On Vista Sp 1

Amadeus47

Question

First the specs: Dell XPS 410 Dual core Intel 2.4GHz; 4 Ghz memory; 30% of a defragmented 240 GB drive are in use; ATI Radeon 1950 (single card); SyncMaster 906BW; Vista SP 1 (32 bit but may migrate to 64 bit); external firewire 240 GB drive;

Had versions of EMC from 7 - 9 on previous computers. As computers are upgraded data is ported to new box. Had v9 on this Vista box and am trying to upgrade to 10.

I followed the instructions scrupulously from all the threads on this forum related to installing on Vista. This includes the 'clean install' routine. I've cleaned out all references to Roxio/Sonic (hidden files are not so hidden on the box); followed very carefully the instruction to run a clean install; disabled all running programs in startup and services (I restarted enough of the services to get the Event Logs operating...no defender); re-initialized vbscript.dll; run as administrator; manually scrubbed the registry of references to Roxio and Sonic; ran Counterspy, Adaware, Spybot along with NAV just for drill. And, did a chkdsk (all 5 steps). (My SO thinks I get a little obsessive about computers...She is also pretty savvy with these infernal boxes but also can't figure this one out).

Now the problem: I am missing something simple...no, not a reformat of the HD! Any guidance as to the correct path to take is greatly appreciated.

Must say that with this level of difficulty installing EMC I have to wonder if it is only people like me that tinker on the leading edge of computers that run into these problems. "Normal" users adhere to the KISS principle and likely have not problems with the install...or maybe not.

TIA

Amadeus

6 answers to this question

First the specs: Dell XPS 410 Dual core Intel 2.4GHz; 4 Ghz memory; 30% of a defragmented 240 GB drive are in use; ATI Radeon 1950 (single card); SyncMaster 906BW; Vista SP 1 (32 bit but may migrate to 64 bit); external firewire 240 GB drive;

Had versions of EMC from 7 - 9 on previous computers. As computers are upgraded data is ported to new box. Had v9 on this Vista box and am trying to upgrade to 10.

I followed the instructions scrupulously from all the threads on this forum related to installing on Vista. This includes the 'clean install' routine. I've cleaned out all references to Roxio/Sonic (hidden files are not so hidden on the box); followed very carefully the instruction to run a clean install; disabled all running programs in startup and services (I restarted enough of the services to get the Event Logs operating...no defender); re-initialized vbscript.dll; run as administrator; manually scrubbed the registry of references to Roxio and Sonic; ran Counterspy, Adaware, Spybot along with NAV just for drill. And, did a chkdsk (all 5 steps). (My SO thinks I get a little obsessive about computers...She is also pretty savvy with these infernal boxes but also can't figure this one out).

Now the problem: I am missing something simple...no, not a reformat of the HD! Any guidance as to the correct path to take is greatly appreciated.

Must say that with this level of difficulty installing EMC I have to wonder if it is only people like me that tinker on the leading edge of computers that run into these problems. "Normal" users adhere to the KISS principle and likely have not problems with the install...or maybe not.

TIA

Amadeus

How precisely did it not install properly? Does it hang up during installation? Did you get any error messages or other info you could share? Are any programs running ?

Just for interest sake - try setting up a new admin account and see if it installs from there - let us know what happens

Tried that also.

Sorry, forgot the error...see, KISS again...someday I may learn!!

What happens is after entering the name and serial # and selecting 'full install' the process starts for a few seconds and then a splash window pops up with the informative message that the installation is complete. Seems no matter what steps are taken that is the result.

Just for the heck of it I tried installing the 750 (or so) MB NT Loader update. Only this time I saw that a file had to be removed to continue. "Error: ndable to read certification file 1.0" The Error Code 0641. My guess is this is because the original file was not installed. This step was more out of frustration at 2:30 AM today.

The consistent error is the one above with a few seconds of installation, finished screen, a brief rollback of files then fade out of installation windows.

I'm afraid you're going to have to go therough the whole clean install procedure (including sacrificing a one-legged chicken at full moon) :lol:

You didn't say if you had a DVD or a download - if download, open the exe file with winrar or winzip, extract the files to a temp folder and run install from there. If a DVD, copy the files to the hard drive first (temp folder again) and again run setup.exe

It works sometimes (when there's been a problem reading the original source)

I'm afraid you're going to have to go therough the whole clean install procedure (including sacrificing a one-legged chicken at full moon) :lol:

You didn't say if you had a DVD or a download - if download, open the exe file with winrar or winzip, extract the files to a temp folder and run install from there. If a DVD, copy the files to the hard drive first (temp folder again) and again run setup.exe

It works sometimes (when there's been a problem reading the original source)

You supplied just the right remedy!! That one-legged chicken did the trick. :) The trick was this: I downloaded the update last night anticipating its installation once the full program was installed. I got to thinking (a danger in itself) of what might be influencing the installation of the main program. I also had disabled "ALL" the services without hiding the windows ones in 'msconfig'.

First, I revisited the latter program, initiated all services, then hid the windows ones and then disabled the rest. I also zipped the download into one nice package and deleted the download. Restarted the computer. Tried again to install. Had a couple of glitches I thought were going to derail the process again but it completed. The update program was then relieved of its archive status and installed. That all completed.

So, now it is time to get out of here and go on a nice walk in the park with my SO!! She has been ever so patient. But, she also is a techie and knows about how these infernal boxes can be!!

Thanks again for the 'magic potion' to help untangle this mess. As Einstien would say "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." Need a lot of the imagination for this one!

Amadeus

If I may offer a word of advice here - now that it's installed, your first job should be to unzip the download and burn the files to a DVD - that way, should you need to reinstall or repair, you have a source disc with the whole package on it

Archived