• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ati All In Wonder Hd Card

Beerman

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38125/135/

Sunnyvale (CA) – It has been a while since ATI offered a new version of its All-in-Wonder graphics/TV tuner card combination. AMD revived the product series with the ATI All-In-Wonder HD, which replaces the still offered AiW X1900 with a faster graphics core a much improved TV tuner chip and HDTV capabilities.

I had to think a bit about the last AiW card and ATI’s struggles with HDTV at the time. Just for the record, the X1900 version was released in January 2006, a few months before the ATI’s acquisition through AMD was announced. 30 months later, there is a new generation that hopes to build on successful AiW cards and maybe not so much on the lukewarm reception the X1900 received back then.

The All-In-Wonder HD has been updated with a PCIe 2.0 interface and upgraded to deal with the high-definition era. The card is now based on the Theater Pro 650 chip (the X1900 was based on the 200 version) and supports free over-the-air HDTV playback as well as HDTV and analog TV recording.

Also included is ClearQAM, a hardware MPEG-2 encoder (as well as VC-1 and H.264 acceleration), an adaptive 3D comb filter as well as a native HDMI interface. Blu-ray can be played back in full 1080p resolution.

The graphics chip is based on the previous generation 600-series 55 nm graphics core, clocked at 725 MHz (memory: 600 MHz). AMD claims that the graphics performance of the card will beat a Radeon HD 3650 by 5 to 15% in popular games.

The MSRP of the ATI All-In-Wonder HD is $199.

Just wondering.... are the PCIe 2 cards backward compatible with older PCIe slots? I'm a bit behind on tech. LOL

So far I really like the card. It doesn't require two slots or extra power. :)

Yes, they are backwards compatible. You just don't get the full benefits from the card, if you are a gamer.

"Choose between analog TV, free-to-air HDTV and ClearQAM unencrypted digital cable1,2,3"

Based on what I've tested with Microsoft and talking to my local cable rep (and reading the same about Comcast) it is very likely that sometime shortly before or after the Feb. 2009 change, these Clear QAM channels may be a thing of the past. I've been told that due to bandwidth concerns, many cable companies will not longer broadcast QAM. In fact, I'm only able to get 3 QAM stations and the channels change regularly......something Cox won't give me a clear answer about.

Based on my testing of the free HDTV and the ATI 650, the quality is excellent thought I think Hauppauge's analog quality is a bit better.

However, this is the beginning of a number of new cards expected out in the fall......a good thing for consumers for sure.

Archived