• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compression Problems

mrfletch

Question

Why is it that I can copy a 7.5 gig non-copywrited commercial DVD to a standard 4.7 gig DVD+R with EMC 7.0 using disc copier, but I cant do the same using EMC 8.05. I'm running Versions 7 and 8 side by side. I can copy with EMC 7 but not EMC 8.05. Version 8.05 asks for a dual layer disk. My understanding is that when EMC 8 was first released, it did have compression but the EMC 8.05 retail release had no compression. Could it be that something was left out when EMC 8.05 was created? Can anyone help :)

24 answers to this question

I have the same drive as you. Try this: Start Disc Copier, insert your disc and wait until it's read. Browse to where your ISO is and add it. Use the pull down arrow under Write Speed and choose another speed. See if it works. If that doesn't work, select another destintation other than your Plextor, it doesn't matter. Let the write speed set itself then go back and select your Plextor drive and see if that works.

This is what I have to do most of the time. For some reason, sometimes it doesn't give me any problem.

I mostly use RW's for my tv recordings and they're the only ones to give me this problem. Regular +R/-R don't.

Let me know what happens.

This morning, I tried the suggestion of choosing another speed and reselect the drive again. Guess what, I was able to burn the 7.62gb ISO file onto a single layer. Must be my lucky day!

Are you talking about Disc Copier? It certainly does but you might first check to see if you have the latest firmware for your burner. What burner do you have?

I have had problems with large ISO files asking for me to put in a DL disc but I just change the burn speed to something else then back to what it was and it usually takes it. I do admit that it seems to be more finicky than earlier versions.

EMC 7.5 and 8 are firmware dependant so it does make a difference in having the latest firmware.

Paul,

I am having the same problem (insert a DL disc) when trying to burn a 7.62gb ISO file. I keep getting that "Insert Disc" popup window. I posted that issue but did not get any resolution.

Glad to drop by this thread; I will try all the suggestions you made in this thread and post back the result.

Jess

This problem seems to be specific to the burner you may have. Make sure you have the latest firmware.

Gary,

I've got the latest firmware. Wiped my HD with Wipe Drive 7 times, reformatted, installed all necessary updates and reinstalled EMC 8 and it still prompts me to use a dual layer disc. No other program except EMC8 was installed except for XP Pro.

I can burn a movie under 4.7 gig but nothing over 4.7 gig. EMC 7 burns them all even a 7.3 gig movie with no problem. I am running EMC 7 and EMC 8 side by side

Mrfletch

Gary,

I've got the latest firmware. Wiped my HD with Wipe Drive 7 times, reformatted, installed all necessary updates and reinstalled EMC 8 and it still prompts me to use a dual layer disc. No other program except EMC8 was installed except for XP Pro.

I can burn a movie under 4.7 gig but nothing over 4.7 gig. EMC 7 burns them all even a 7.3 gig movie with no problem. I am running EMC 7 and EMC 8 side by side

Mrfletch

I'm going to try a few tests over the weekend and will let you know how it turns out. Sorry I can't get to this any sooner.

I have the same drive as you. Try this: Start Disc Copier, insert your disc and wait until it's read. Browse to where your ISO is and add it. Use the pull down arrow under Write Speed and choose another speed. See if it works. If that doesn't work, select another destintation other than your Plextor, it doesn't matter. Let the write speed set itself then go back and select your Plextor drive and see if that works.

This is what I have to do most of the time. For some reason, sometimes it doesn't give me any problem.

I mostly use RW's for my tv recordings and they're the only ones to give me this problem. Regular +R/-R don't.

I did'nt have to change the speed, but browsing to my ISO did the trick. I'll pass this along.

Thanks!

Paul,

I am having the same problem (insert a DL disc) when trying to burn a 7.62gb ISO file. I keep getting that "Insert Disc" popup window. I posted that issue but did not get any resolution.

Glad to drop by this thread; I will try all the suggestions you made in this thread and post back the result.

Jess

Suggestions didn't work for me. :)

Suggestions didn't work for me. :)

Jess, I had this same problem again yesterday and it was for a 7.2 GB ISO. First, I made sure it worked fine with DC 7.5 which it did. Then, I tried DC 8 and got the message to use a DL disc. I was using a DVD +RW so and my Plextor was set to burn using it's Power Burn at 4X. I selected another speed (2X) then allowed it to read and make the change then set it back to 4X and it worked. I really don't know why but it just does. I alos don't know why it doesn't do this all the time but about 50% of the time.

I always have the latest firmware.

If you have v7.1 or 7.5, try it and see what happens. I'm curious.

Jess, I had this same problem again yesterday and it was for a 7.2 GB ISO. First, I made sure it worked fine with DC 7.5 which it did. Then, I tried DC 8 and got the message to use a DL disc. I was using a DVD +RW so and my Plextor was set to burn using it's Power Burn at 4X. I selected another speed (2X) then allowed it to read and make the change then set it back to 4X and it worked. I really don't know why but it just does. I alos don't know why it doesn't do this all the time but about 50% of the time.

I always have the latest firmware.

If you have v7.1 or 7.5, try it and see what happens. I'm curious.

Paul,

Actually EMC75 is able to burn it. I had a similar situation as you described: used DC8, got the message about using a DL disc, was using a Sony DVD+RW and my burner was Lacie at 4x. I changed it to next lower speed (I don't recall if it's 2x or 2.4x) and then resert back to 4x. Still got the same message. I'll try again when I get home today.

The reason I am persistent to using EMC8 (even though EMC75 burned it) is because I am hoping the skipping/jumping when using DC7.5 to burn a project that is almost 2 hour long is cured in DC8.

The workaround I found was to create a video folder with disc size set at single layer (DVD-R/DVD+R) using DC8. I then burned the video folder onto the Sony DVD+RW and watched it on a Sony TV. The movie was good quality and never had any problem until when it hits around the 100th minute of the video. It jumped back to an earlier scene. I don't know if this is a problem with DC8 or a problem with the type of medium I used (an RW). Any thoughts?

One more thing: Lacie website does not show any firmware update (and support is really next to nil). The burner info says it is a NEC ND-3220a (firmware 1.04). I don't know if this is considered an OEM. I found a firmware update for NEC ND-3220a (I think 3.04) but it says not to use for OEM. I'm afraid to damage the burner so I never really tried updating it with this new firmware. Any advise?

Jess

I wouldn't take the chance if it were me unless I was planning on getting a new burner. You might check out cdfreaks.com and read some posts there where people have used 'bastard' firmware that worked. Still, if it's the only burner you have and you mess it up, then you are stuck with getting a new one.

However, check out the prices for 16X burners.......cheaper than a dinner and a movie!

I wouldn't take the chance if it were me unless I was planning on getting a new burner. You might check out cdfreaks.com and read some posts there where people have used 'bastard' firmware that worked. Still, if it's the only burner you have and you mess it up, then you are stuck with getting a new one.

However, check out the prices for 16X burners.......cheaper than a dinner and a movie!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check them out. Do you have any suggested brands/models to check out?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check them out. Do you have any suggested brands/models to check out?

By the way, have you experienced the same problem of jumping/skipping in the burned video (in a single layer disc) when the project is more than an hour (or maybe close to 120 minutes)?

The movie was good quality and never had any problem until when it hits around the 100th minute of the video. It jumped back to an earlier scene.

I get this "jump back" to an earlier with EMC 7.5 for every iso file that is > 70 minutes. When it happens I simply rewind a few secs and then it continues normally. It happens on 2 different DVD players but have not checked it on my computer player. If I directly goto just the area before the 'Jump" then it doesn't happen.

I get this "jump back" to an earlier with EMC 7.5 for every iso file that is > 70 minutes. When it happens I simply rewind a few secs and then it continues normally. It happens on 2 different DVD players but have not checked it on my computer player. If I directly goto just the area before the 'Jump" then it doesn't happen.

Walt,

Thanks. I exactly have the same issue: rewind a few secs and it continues normally; and if you just go to the area before it happens, it doesn't happen again.

Have you tried out burning the same project using DC8? Do you still get the same problem?

Jess

I also have encountered this same compression problem. EMC 7.0 will compress a pre-recorded movie so it will fit on a DVD+R, but EMC 8 will not. I cannot understand why version 8 does not permint compression??? Any ideas out there?

:)

I'm going to try a few tests over the weekend and will let you know how it turns out. Sorry I can't get to this any sooner.

Thanks for taking the time Paul. I've done everything I can do to try to solve the problem. The burner I'm using is a Plextor PX716A with firmware update V-1.09. By the way, a friend of mine e-mailed me today said he was having similar problems with a fresh copy of EMC 8. Hope you can come up with something.

Mrfletch

Thanks for taking the time Paul. I've done everything I can do to try to solve the problem. The burner I'm using is a Plextor PX716A with firmware update V-1.09. By the way, a friend of mine e-mailed me today said he was having similar problems with a fresh copy of EMC 8. Hope you can come up with something.

Mrfletch

post-79-1143873153.jpg

Only happened once that I can remember and I assumed it was just a rare occurance. Must be plain luck on my part.

Good for you.

Looks like there is a driver update for Lacie d2 burner (on the Lacie website) for Windows XP. I'll check this out and see if this is geared towards my burner.

Jess

I also have encountered this same compression problem. EMC 7.0 will compress a pre-recorded movie so it will fit on a DVD+R, but EMC 8 will not. I cannot understand why version 8 does not permint compression??? Any ideas out there?

:)

Are you talking about Disc Copier? It certainly does but you might first check to see if you have the latest firmware for your burner. What burner do you have?

I have had problems with large ISO files asking for me to put in a DL disc but I just change the burn speed to something else then back to what it was and it usually takes it. I do admit that it seems to be more finicky than earlier versions.

EMC 7.5 and 8 are firmware dependant so it does make a difference in having the latest firmware.

Archived