Adding Titles To Audio Cds

pasxapu

Question

I just downloaded Toast 9.0.2 and want to know how I can add titles to my original audio recordings. I checked the ADD TEXT box (in both Audio CD and Enhanced Audio CD mode), added some titles, and can see my titles all appear in Toast before burning. When I burn, eject, and reinsert the CD, it simply shows "Audio CD" and "Track 01" etc in iTunes. Where did my titles go?

Anyway, I have to burn large numbers of CDs and hope I don't have to re-title everything. Any help or suggestions welcome as I am new to Toast 9.

8 answers to this question

Thank you, very helpful - Tom Brandau

Your Mac does not read titles off of an audio CD. It reads them from the cdinfo database file in your User Library when an audio CD that matches the number and length of tracks is inserted. The cdinfo database file is written to via either entering the info in iTunes or downloading a match from the online CDDB.

Toast writes CD Text to an audio CD that can be read by home and car CD players equipped with CD Text capability. The Mac OS doesn't read CD Text, though. If you insert the audio CD and choose Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu you'll see your track information is there on the disc.

So the issue is how to get CD Text info off the CD and written to the cdinfo database file. Fortunately that problem is solved at dougscripts.com. Click on this link.

I won't open a new thread because I have a similar problem and I don't quite understand:

With the 2 first Audio CDs I burned with CD-TEXT enabled, tracks names appears as well in my Mac's finder and in iTunes. Not in Toast disk info

and naturaly on another Mac.

Since then, CD-TEXT doesn't work . I wonder what has changed.

I am not clever enough to use "dougscripts". The way Toast write CD-TEXT is it the same that iTunes use ? It's a pity to find that the only way to have my own music tracks titles appearing on another Mac is to burn with iTunes, where tracks levels adjust is a mess, among another things.

Thanks for a kind reply.

Maurice

Many thanks, tsantee. I understand better, now. My previous post was full of mistakes. Let me resume:

CD-TEXT, written by Toast on the audio CD, can only be read by home or car CD players that have this fonction.

As for CDDB, I didn't know I can myself upload traks names, artist etc ...to it. I thougt the "product code"(code produit, a big number, I presume) and several info to be written on the "plus" info windows of Toast can only be written by the CD factory in relation with CDDB. Otherwise, how CDDB can recognise a CD among million of anothers ?

Nevertheless, I'll try ....

Maurice

I won't open a new thread because I have a similar problem and I don't quite understand:

With the 2 first Audio CDs I burned with CD-TEXT enabled, tracks names appears as well in my Mac's finder and in iTunes. Not in Toast disk info

and naturaly on another Mac.

Since then, CD-TEXT doesn't work . I wonder what has changed.

I am not clever enough to use "dougscripts". The way Toast write CD-TEXT is it the same that iTunes use ? It's a pity to find that the only way to have my own music tracks titles appearing on another Mac is to burn with iTunes, where tracks levels adjust is a mess, among another things.

Thanks for a kind reply.

Maurice

I know it is confusing. But there is no way to burn text info to an audio CD so that it will be recognized on other computers. The only way other computers "automatically" recognize track and title names is to match the content of the audio CD with an online service such as CDDB and to download that info. From that point on the computer reads the info from a database file on its hard drive. Computers never read text info from the audio CD itself, regardless of what application is used to burn the CD.

So the solution is for you to upload the track etc. info to CDDB so it gets downloaded when you insert the disc in another computer. You can do this with Toast and with iTunes. In Toast drag the burned CD into a new Audio CD window. Toast extracts the tracks from the CD along with the names and gives the CD the artist/album name you had assigned. Now choose Submit CD Track Names from the Disc menu.

After doing this your other computers will download that info from CDDB when the audio CD is inserted for the first time.

Your Mac does not read titles off of an audio CD. It reads them from the cdinfo database file in your User Library when an audio CD that matches the number and length of tracks is inserted. The cdinfo database file is written to via either entering the info in iTunes or downloading a match from the online CDDB.

Toast writes CD Text to an audio CD that can be read by home and car CD players equipped with CD Text capability. The Mac OS doesn't read CD Text, though. If you insert the audio CD and choose Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu you'll see your track information is there on the disc.

So the issue is how to get CD Text info off the CD and written to the cdinfo database file. Fortunately that problem is solved at dougscripts.com. Click on this link.

I'm not sure of the precise details but CDDB basically identifies a CD by the number of tracks and the length of each track in order. There can be multiple discs that have those identical specs, especially for those that get uploaded with only a few tracks. In that case CDDB asks the user to choose which one from a list is the correct one.

No matter how CDDB manages, IT WORKS !!! I'm like a child...

In some cases, however, Toast do not extract titles names, I must study further.

Again, thanks a lot, tsantee.

Maurice

Many thanks, tsantee. I understand better, now. My previous post was full of mistakes. Let me resume:

CD-TEXT, written by Toast on the audio CD, can only be read by home or car CD players that have this fonction.

As for CDDB, I didn't know I can myself upload traks names, artist etc ...to it. I thougt the "product code"(code produit, a big number, I presume) and several info to be written on the "plus" info windows of Toast can only be written by the CD factory in relation with CDDB. Otherwise, how CDDB can recognise a CD among million of anothers ?

Nevertheless, I'll try ....

Maurice

I'm not sure of the precise details but CDDB basically identifies a CD by the number of tracks and the length of each track in order. There can be multiple discs that have those identical specs, especially for those that get uploaded with only a few tracks. In that case CDDB asks the user to choose which one from a list is the correct one.

Archived