• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burned Dvds Only Play On Computers?

Toasty

Question

I am very confused. The DVDs I create from .avi files (all I've tried so far) never work on the two DVD players I use and only work on the computer. I've tried lowering the bit rate, without success, and now I'm burning a "DVD DL," whatever that is. I know my DVD players will play the type of discs I'm using, the DVD+R discs, because I burned a DVD from a .avi file using the trial version of Xilisoft's DVD Creator. That worked just fine, aside from the watermark. What do I have to change to get Toast to do the same?

12 answers to this question

No offense, Toasty, but you really ought to read the manual. :)

In Toast, under the Help menu, select "Toast Titanium Help". A file will open that will answer your questions.

Go to pages 86 and 87.

If you want to produce DVDs with full menus that just about any TV- DVD player can handle, then choose the type "DVD-Video". Another option is to burn a DivX disc from the avi files. In that case you need a TV- DVD player that can specifically play back DivX discs. The Help file has further information on all your options, and a step-by-step guide to organizing and burning your files.

BTW, a DVD-DL is a double-layered blank DVD that holds about twice as much as a DVD+-R or +-RW. You need a DVD-DL compatible drive in your computer to use them. See page 22 in the help file.

None taken. I should have mentioned that I've been reading the manual since I got the program and it isn't helping at all. I've tried producing six DVDs in the way you mention, and they all work on the computer and not on the TV's DVD player. As for Divx, I don't have players for that.

Hmm, have you tried using DVD+RW and/or DVD-RW media? Some DVD players are finicky, and the more reflective surface of the RW discs might help.

Just checking, but are you sure that you tried the Auto settings for producing a DVD-Video disc? These should produce a DVD with the greatest likelihood of compatibility across various models of DVD players.

No, I haven't tried those other discs, but that's because I know DVD+R discs will work (see original post). I definitely tried the default settings, too. Any idea what the difference could be between Toast and Xilisoft's DVD Creator, seeing as the latter worked beautifully? Are they creating different types of files or something? So I'm quite lost at this point, having spent the money on this program for apparently no reason at all.

I see, from various posts to this forum, that you are not alone in having difficulties producing usable discs of one sort or another. I personally make frequent use of Toast for making DivX discs from my own avi files (from a digital camera), and it works flawlessly. Previously, I made many DVD-Video discs using Toast 8 and 9 with virtually no "coasters". I use a MacBook, and before that I used a G4 iBook. Maybe there are certain drive models with which Toast does not play nicely. Hopefully v9.0.3 will address many of these issues.

Sorry I can't offer any additional suggestions.

Thanks for telling me about "preferences." I still haven't fixed the problem, but Toast was in fact using PAL instead of NTSC, as I require. I was very excited when I discovered and changed this, but yet again the burned DVD did not work anywhere expect the computer. And yes, I use the regular DVD Video settings.

Thanks for telling me about "preferences." I still haven't fixed the problem, but Toast was in fact using PAL instead of NTSC, as I require. I was very excited when I discovered and changed this, but yet again the burned DVD did not work anywhere expect the computer. And yes, I use the regular DVD Video settings.

Hey Toasty -

It sounds like many folks have pointed you to most of the suggestions in this article:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...N?set-locale=en

However, I'd like you to check your media itself. While the lowered reflectivity of RW media can cause issues on set top players, the brand can do some damage. If you haven't already buy another name brand short spindle or some one-off's or ask a buddy to loan you some discs.

As discussed, really do some clear checking on your players versus the format your burning to (PAL or NTSC) - including your video files. Depending on where you live (NTSC or PAL country) try to create a 100% NTSC or PAL disc, from asset to session, to burn (using the different media) and take it down to a local video store and see if it plays. Many times, it could be the player itself for one odd reason or another.

Hope this helps,

Jon

I don't know what the reason for this could be. Some additional things to try are choosing a slower burn speed than Best. The burn speeds are available after the blank disc is inserted and recognized. I'd also choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that file to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window. My sense is that will result in a playable disc.

Thanks, but neither of those worked. Does Toast burn using PAL? If so, I think that's the problem. The players only like NTSC

If you have NTSC set in Toast Preferences then Toast will alert you if you are trying to make an NTSC DVD from PAL content and ask if you really want to convert it.

You can see if the DVD is PAL by inserting the disc and choosing DVD with the Toast Media Browser. Double-click on the file that appears in the browser window and you'll see the individual movie titles. Place the cursor over one of the titles and a pop-up will describe the kind of video and audio.

You did use the DVD video setting in the Video window to create the DVD, right?

Archived