• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Formating From Imovie And Burning A Blu-ray With Toast 9

MAGMA

Question

So, here's the kicker...I am missing something. I tried two tests.

I encoded from iMovie as a Quicktime movie, h.264 at best settings. Imported it into Toast, burnt it as a blue-ray...set at "best", DVD, everything as default. Played it on my blue-ray player...looks good 95% of the original quality so we're almost there. But, I want the original 1080i quality and I am sure there is a way I can do it. So, I tried the following based upon a couple of replies in the forum:

I encoded from imovie as a Quicktime file, AIC, setting at best, set at 1080i. It encoded quickly (as it should...it's an AVCHD file from a Canon HG10 Camcorder). Imported into Toast and noticed on the import screen that the AIC movie is being imported as 1440 X 1080. When I go to the actual file a "Get info", it shows it as 1920 X 1080.

Why is Toast importing the AIC file as 1440 x 1080 when it is encoded as 1920 x 1080. It is not playing as 1920 x 1080 either?

Incidentally, I also imported the h.264 one, and it imports (and burns) correctly. I am a little new to all these MAC apps and new encoding practices. Am I missing a setting here that allows that AIC file to be imported at the correct resolution?

Toast folks...can you help a guy out? I want my quality to be 100% of the original.

Thanks,

MAGMA

1 answer to this question

So, here's the kicker...I am missing something. I tried two tests.

I encoded from iMovie as a Quicktime movie, h.264 at best settings. Imported it into Toast, burnt it as a blue-ray...set at "best", DVD, everything as default. Played it on my blue-ray player...looks good 95% of the original quality so we're almost there. But, I want the original 1080i quality and I am sure there is a way I can do it. So, I tried the following based upon a couple of replies in the forum:

I encoded from imovie as a Quicktime file, AIC, setting at best, set at 1080i. It encoded quickly (as it should...it's an AVCHD file from a Canon HG10 Camcorder). Imported into Toast and noticed on the import screen that the AIC movie is being imported as 1440 X 1080. When I go to the actual file a "Get info", it shows it as 1920 X 1080.

Why is Toast importing the AIC file as 1440 x 1080 when it is encoded as 1920 x 1080. It is not playing as 1920 x 1080 either?

Incidentally, I also imported the h.264 one, and it imports (and burns) correctly. I am a little new to all these MAC apps and new encoding practices. Am I missing a setting here that allows that AIC file to be imported at the correct resolution?

Toast folks...can you help a guy out? I want my quality to be 100% of the original.

Thanks,

MAGMA

Here's my guess. Often, to save space HD camcorders record at 1440*1080 (Anamorphic). In other words, rather than square pixels (1920*1080) they use rectangular pixels, thus saving space. Looking at your model, this is exactly what your camcorder does. So when the file is loaded into iMovie, iMovie maintains the 1440*1080 and when Toast sees it recognizes it correctly. However, it will play back as though it were 1920*1080 because of the rectangular pixels.

So basically, the quality you're getting is the best it'll be!

Archived