Verification Errors After Upgrade To 8.04

C1ndyluhu

Question

:angry2: I just upgraded to version 8.04 yesterday, and then tried to copy an existing disk. It is a DVD of image files. I've copied it before, and everything worked fine. Today, after the upgrade, it copied, but then failed verification at around 90% complete. So I found an old back-up disk of the same files, and replaced all the older stuff before trying to burn it again. I got the same error at a different point in the verification process. So I wound up going back to successive back-ups all the way back to 2004, replacing the files each time with an older version that I've KNOWN to be not corrupt and each time I still get the same result. Except now it hangs up at 1% verified!

Please help! These are photos of my son and our Boy Scout troop. These are the only copies of the pictures and I simply CANNOT believe that EVERY copy of these files is corrupt all the way back to 2004 if I've never had a problem with them before now. I mean, we are talking about more than a dozen disks and I've NEVER had an error in all that time, but now suddenly they're ALL CORRUPT?????

3 answers to this question

Verification errors does not mean the files are corrupt. It means the burned disc is not identical to the the source at the time of verification. Everything on your burned disc may be perfectly okay. Some change on your Mac while the disc was being burned can cause a verification error. For example, opening or closing a folder in the Finder that is among the content being burned will cause a verification error because an invisible .ds file is changed. That probably didn't happen in your case, though. It also is possible that the disc itself has some damaged sectors. Try using a different brand of media or burning at a slower than Best speed.

Maybe the problem is associated with the Toast update. In that case I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast to create fresh versions of those files.

You also can use the Compare feature in Toast's Utilities menu.

I suggest choosing Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is done burn the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. If that gets you a verification error then the disc is defective.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try that! I sort of suspected it was not the files themselves after I replaced most of them with KNOWN good files. This morning I confirmed that when I burned the same files onto 6 CDs with no problems. But after having 10 disks that wouldn't verify, I didn't really think it was bad disks, either... And I didn't do ANYTHING on the computer while it was burning -- it's better to be safe than sorry, so I always walk away from my computer while burning disks.

Again, Thanks!

UPDATE!

I did successfully burn the DVDs. Have not had the error since I burned the CDs, so I'm not sure which of the fixes actually worked. I went ahead and trashed the Prefs and Plist files and I saved the Disk Image and burned from that. No problems at all. I did try to do the "compare" feature on the last disk that didn't verify. It found two errors immediately, and then it hung up on the 25th file and went no further. Once it did that, I couldn't even Force Quit Toast, so I'd have to reboot the computer. Oh well...The disk burned, and that's all I wanted for now. :)

Archived