"protected Files Cannot Be Recorded"

CRUMPY

Question

There was a free copy of Roxio 9 Creator provided as a package from Packard Bell when I bought and installed my PC last year. I was able to successfully burn compilation CD's from my own CD collection that had been ripped using WMA for a period of six months. I then had to do a full system un-install and re-install as advised by PC World in relation to another matter. When the system was re-installed I attempted to burn a music CD for the first time using the re-installed Roxio 9 Creator and the following message precluded me from doing so "some protected files cannot be recorded to your disc because the maximum number of burns has been reached or the file does not have a vaild burn license". I have subsequently un-installed the Roxio Creator 9 provided free by Packard Bell and bought a Roxio 9 Creator CD from a software company. However, when I installed it on my PC and tried to burn a CD, the same message came up. Does anyone have an idea how this problem can be overcome?

2 answers to this question

Nothing to do with Roxio but everything to do with DRM…

As the message informs you, you have exceeded your rights to burn that file. Normally this applies to music you have downloaded from the web.

In that case it is through some provider and you may be able to use their software to burn the disc. If you can, you can then 'rip' the disc using Roxio.

Since you did a system restore, it could be that your licensing agreements and use counter were scrambled.

When you download music a folder should be created on your drive that includes the licensing stuff,usually to the same folder that the music is placed in.

Like James said if you reformatted that drive you probably lost that info.If it's new downloads then you should have the licensing docs.

Sometimes you can go to the site you downloaded the music from and redownload the licensing documents.

Archived