• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Me too, Me too

brfc1875

Question

I experience the same problem - has anyone been able to make any progress with this issue? I am trying to import video from a Canon HV30 camcorder. Import starts fine, and appears to continue through the duration of the tape, but when the output file is replayed it only contains the first 30 seconds or so. I have tried this multiple times and can see from the import data that also the tape continues playing that EMC appears to stop saving the data part way through. It stops at a slightly different point every time, but somewhere between 30 and 40 seconds into the tape - around 60 or 100 MB file size.

I am using EMC 10, with XP on a computer with plenty of memory and hard drive space (around 20 GB).

I have checked the tape for 'spaces' as mentioned earlier in this thread, but whilst I have a change of scene much later in the tape there is no break in continuity in the first few minutes, so I am sure that is not the issue for me in this case

Can anyone offer further suggestions on what may be causing this problem

6 answers to this question

Sknis

Good to hear the problem works for you - that gives me hope I can get it working too

Taking your questions in turn

- Does the file play all the way through? I have only been able to capture a 30 second file so far, but yes it plays all the way through. When I play the tape on the camera it also plays all the way through without a problem

1) I have a reasonable quality Firewire cable that I have used extensively without problems with my old (Sony DV) camera. I have also checked and rechecked to make sure it is firmly inserted

2) I do have McAfee running. Good point - I will try and disable that and see if it makes a difference

3) I used auto mode to capture - I think that means 30 fps

4) Yes - I defragged the hard drive today after reading a Roxio knowledgebase article on this issue. It made no difference

5) I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX420 video card. Again on the prompting of the Roxio article I downloaded the latest drives, but again it made no difference

6) I am using a Dell 8250 computer with XP Home SP2. I have 512 Memory, 17 GB hard disc space

Just another couple of points

- I recently upgraded from EMC 9 to 10 specifically to allow me to capture HDV video. I did a complete uninstall of EMC 9 before I started with the 10 install

- I am able to use EMC 10 to capture from my Sony DV camera without a problem

- I downloaded a free program called HDV Split and using this was able to download the entire tape. It is disappointing that a free program works but the expensive EMC doesn't! The only problem with HDV split is that it seems to have downloaded in 4:3 instead of 16:9. Also HDV split can't author DVD's. I have also been able to capture without any problem (and in 16:9 format) using a Mac

I conclude that the issue is related specifically to HDV and EMC 10

Any and all further advice gratefully received. Thanks for taking the time to help with my problems

I need a further clarification. If you have part (or all) of the file on your computer does WMP play the file all the way through?

It is possible (probable) that most of your problem is your computer and graphics card. If it is the desktop then it seems that your CPU is above the minimum but that 512 memory will really be a bottleneck. That card is at least 5 years old and has only up to 64 MB memory. That will be a real problem.

You can get some new memory (example) and a new card (examples) for well under $200. I suggest that you strongly consider that. Please check with Dell before you buy anything. I went to the Dell site to see about memory and the prices they quoted were 8 times higher than what I would expect. This may indicate that memory for this desk top is special.

I have only managed to capture 30 secs of video, but yes, that file plays all the way through on WMP

I suspect you are right about the memory problem and in fact ordered some additional memory from Dell last night.

It is interesting however that I have been able to succesfully capture the entire 60 min tape using HDVSplit. I am wondering if that the difference may be that the EMC 10 program iteself takes up a lot of memory so there isn't enough left for processing, whereas it is likely that the HDVSplit program does not take up as much memory.

In any event, it is good to know that EMC 10 does work with my camera so I will try the additional memory and if I still have problems will update the graphics card. Many thanks for your advice

I have only managed to capture 30 secs of video, but yes, that file plays all the way through on WMP

I suspect you are right about the memory problem and in fact ordered some additional memory from Dell last night.

It is interesting however that I have been able to succesfully capture the entire 60 min tape using HDVSplit. I am wondering if that the difference may be that the EMC 10 program iteself takes up a lot of memory so there isn't enough left for processing, whereas it is likely that the HDVSplit program does not take up as much memory.

In any event, it is good to know that EMC 10 does work with my camera so I will try the additional memory and if I still have problems will update the graphics card. Many thanks for your advice

Different strokes for different folks. I haven't had the need to try that program but sometimes specialized programs work well for what they are designed to do.

How do I suggest this nicely; your video card will probably give you a lot of problems. You should strongly consider a better video card if you can afford it. Get one with a minimum of 256 memory on board.

I experience the same problem - has anyone been able to make any progress with this issue? I am trying to import video from a Canon HV30 camcorder. Import starts fine, and appears to continue through the duration of the tape, but when the output file is replayed it only contains the first 30 seconds or so. I have tried this multiple times and can see from the import data that also the tape continues playing that EMC appears to stop saving the data part way through. It stops at a slightly different point every time, but somewhere between 30 and 40 seconds into the tape - around 60 or 100 MB file size.

I am using EMC 10, with XP on a computer with plenty of memory and hard drive space (around 20 GB).

I have checked the tape for 'spaces' as mentioned earlier in this thread, but whilst I have a change of scene much later in the tape there is no break in continuity in the first few minutes, so I am sure that is not the issue for me in this case

Can anyone offer further suggestions on what may be causing this problem

In this case, I have the exact same camera ! :) I am not experiencing the problem you are. A couple of questions.

If you play the file with WMP or other, does it play all the way through?

1) Make sure your Firewire cable is firmly inserted at both ends. Did you buy a el cheapo special cable or a reasonable quality one? That camera does not come with a Firewire cable.

2) What else do you have running on your computer while you are importing? Things like anti-virus can take some CPU time and try to scan everything that is being written to your hard drive.

3) What mode did you use to capture the video 30 fps, 60 fps, 24 fps etc?

4) I assume that you are capturing to an internal hard drive formatted in NTFS and not external or formatted to FAT.

5) Although 20 Gigs should be enough space, have you defragged the hard drive lately?

6) What are your computer specs? While you are at it, please also post your video card/chip information.

There will probably be more questions after you post the answers to these.

Sknis

Good to hear the problem works for you - that gives me hope I can get it working too

Taking your questions in turn

- Does the file play all the way through? I have only been able to capture a 30 second file so far, but yes it plays all the way through. When I play the tape on the camera it also plays all the way through without a problem

1) I have a reasonable quality Firewire cable that I have used extensively without problems with my old (Sony DV) camera. I have also checked and rechecked to make sure it is firmly inserted

2) I do have McAfee running. Good point - I will try and disable that and see if it makes a difference

3) I used auto mode to capture - I think that means 30 fps

4) Yes - I defragged the hard drive today after reading a Roxio knowledgebase article on this issue. It made no difference

5) I have an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX420 video card. Again on the prompting of the Roxio article I downloaded the latest drives, but again it made no difference

6) I am using a Dell 8250 computer with XP Home SP2. I have 512 Memory, 17 GB hard disc space

Just another couple of points

- I recently upgraded from EMC 9 to 10 specifically to allow me to capture HDV video. I did a complete uninstall of EMC 9 before I started with the 10 install

- I am able to use EMC 10 to capture from my Sony DV camera without a problem

- I downloaded a free program called HDV Split and using this was able to download the entire tape. It is disappointing that a free program works but the expensive EMC doesn't! The only problem with HDV split is that it seems to have downloaded in 4:3 instead of 16:9. Also HDV split can't author DVD's. I have also been able to capture without any problem (and in 16:9 format) using a Mac

I conclude that the issue is related specifically to HDV and EMC 10

Any and all further advice gratefully received. Thanks for taking the time to help with my problems

Archived