• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Those Picture Frames

IMD

Maybe I'm the last person in the world to know about it, but just in case I'm not, I'll share:

My husband was given one of those Kodak picture frames with a ton of photos on it for his birthday in December. Well, my problem was that I have all high-resolution cameras and big files. Opening batches of them in CS3 or Corel or anywhere else was cumbersome even though I have plenty of memory. The sheer size of the raw files is daunting.

One of my sons pointed me to a free little program called Infranview (you can Google it). It is virus-free and worm-free, and works quite well. Since his frame is not the kind that receives wireless transmissions, I bought a 4GB little SD card and inserted it into my main computer and just used Infranview to process dozens of files (batch processing) at a time, locking the aspect ratio, and it works great on the little frame. I say little because I have large monitors.

Even with all of the fancy programs I have, when it comes to just getting photos onto these little frames, and that is all you want to do (assuming you've already edited) you just highlight your files, tell it what size you want, whether or not to lock the aspect ratio, and send it to whatever card or device you choose.

Anyway, it's free and worth checking out.

Enjoy!

Indy

You wonder why the company selling the digital frame wouldn't enter into some type of arrangement with a company that makes image re-sizer software so that the consumer wouldn't have to shop around and find one. The one I used about 6 months ago I believe had a 30 day (free) trial period, so I'll have to check out the recommendations here for future re-sizing needs. Thanks!

Y'know I had downloaded the MS Powertoy Pack some time ago (quite some time ago) and I'm not sure whether the particular version I had was corrupt or what the situation was, but it fouled my system and I had to do a restore. I gather from what you've said that either it was my configuration, or they have repaired it. (I may have downloaded it on a bad hair day LOL).

The thing I found with a lot of programs lately, and with things like the Kodak frame is this:

Using Adobe Elements, they try to direct the traffic to commercial printers or commercial storage sites. I'm not happy about that. Same thing with the Kodak frame. I can't recall precisely what it was, but it sort of turned me off. They didn't give other options. And if a person isn't smart enough or hasn't learned how to use drives/cards/devices as mass storage, then these poor people can get suckered in. I find that a little disappointing in such pricey software as Photoshop. Even with Lightroom, they want to steer you this way and that, and often do not give you other options, so you have to get creative and use other methods to achieve the same thing. But as you well know, a lot of people do not read manuals, do not read menus, nor explore the menus fully.

Now why would I want to do that when I now have THREE servers, two of them are 2TB each, with multiple externals and onboards, and more than enough bandwidth to serve...so why would I want to put my photos there? That is, the commercial ones. The ones on my regular bulletin board are there for the taking, and people can upload too. After all, this is just meant to be fun.

I wish they would stop trying to steer us towards spending even more, and even if you do, you are bombarded with yet more things to buy or subscribe to.

Another note about the frames; if this has ever happened to you, when the slides play and then just stop and go back to the main screen, check to see that an oversized file has not accidentally slipped through. If it has, just resize it or delete it and the problem will go away.

IMD

Just to point out that EMC also contains a batch image-resizing utility, not as robust as one like Irfanview, no doubt ( I haven't used Irfanview). But it might be helpful for anyone who doesn't need a dedicated image resizer. (I don't think it will work with raw format, as I think IMD refers to in her first post.)

Media Manager > Projects > Multi Photo Enhance > Add Files > Transform > Resize

Just to point out that EMC also contains a batch image-resizing utility, not as robust as one like Irfanview, no doubt ( I haven't used Irfanview). But it might be helpful for anyone who doesn't need a dedicated image resizer. (I don't think it will work with raw format, as I think IMD refers to in her first post.)

I'm learning every day! I did not know that.

BTW:

The program IMD recommended is a definite agreement1.gif

Hey very useful bit of information..

Thanks

:)

The program IMD recommended is a definite agreement1.gif

Thx, good to know :)

I'm learning every day! I did not know that.

Hey very useful bit of information..

Thanks

Post back if you get a chance to try it out. It doesn't get talked about much and I'd be curious to know your opinions. Thanks!

Post back if you get a chance to try it out. It doesn't get talked about much and I'd be curious to know your opinions. Thanks!

I know this is starting to stray from the topic, but I was wondering -- is there any way to print several different photos on one sheet of paper using the EMC10 suite?

I have relatives who don't own pcs (if you can believe it) and prefer looking at printed pictures. So every so often, I send out photos of my children, etc. So if, for example, in my "June, 2008" folder I have placed 40 pictures, I print out and send, say, the best 12. I currently use the software that came w/ my digital camera to pick and choose the 12 I send, and typically have 3 or 4 photos per sheet (I balance between quality and ink usage!)

I wonder if, like with the batch re-sizing, I am missing something on how to have several different photos printed out using EMC10.

PS

I'll let you know if I use the Media Manager function you discussed....

I know this is starting to stray from the topic, but I was wondering -- is there any way to print several different photos on one sheet of paper using the EMC10 suite?

I have relatives who don't own pcs (if you can believe it) and prefer looking at printed pictures. So every so often, I send out photos of my children, etc. So if, for example, in my "June, 2008" folder I have placed 40 pictures, I print out and send, say, the best 12. I currently use the software that came w/ my digital camera to pick and choose the 12 I send, and typically have 3 or 4 photos per sheet (I balance between quality and ink usage!)

I wonder if, like with the batch re-sizing, I am missing something on how to have several different photos printed out using EMC10.

PS

karri has a solution shown for printing multiple special sized images. Perhaps that will help.

That facility is actually built into Windows.

Right click on any photo in the folder and select 'Print' and a 'Photo Printing Wizard' will open. In that, tick the box at the top left ot each picture that you want, select the printer and you then get a choice of one full page, 2, 3, 4 or 9 pictures per page or a 'contact sheet' with 35 pictures per page. It will then print your selected picyures

PS

Yes, that workaround is ok if you can't use one of the many Templates in EMC.

Go into Media Manager, click on Print to bring up the Print utility. Once in Print, select your paper Size and Orientation then select Multiple Photos per page and Repeat each photo/1 time. Click on Templates > More Templates to find templates with different-sized placeholders on each page.

Thanks to all for your quick responses!

You now all know what I'll be doing over the Fourth of July weekend! greetings4.gif

There's another method, kind of in between and not precise, but easy and can be fun:

Open PhotoSuite and go to File > Photo Projects. Click on Collage > Next > From a Blank Template > Next. Select a Canvas size and Orientation > Next. Add your photo that you want all printed on one page and click Next. Click on Edit in PhotoSuite.

Now in PhotoSuite you can drag your photos around and resize exactly how you like on the page. (Make sure you resize using the corner handles.) Click on Print to print.

I have just enlarged a photo from 664x506

to 1007x768 without losing any sharpness..perfect.

It works just fine..thanks.

Archived