• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Discs Just Aren't Readable Anywhere

jfarrx19

Question

Got an NEC ND-3530A DVD+-RW DL in this new Dell Dimension I bought last week. I installed my copy of EMC 7.5 on it and no DVD that I burn are readable anywhere. There are no errors during the burn process. I think I've ruined four DVD-R discs so far with no success.

When you put the DVD in the drive on my other computer or even back in this drive, it takes about five minutes of clicking and whirring before it just gives up and pretends that no disc is in the drive.

Any ideas? I updated the firmware to 104c with a file I got from Dell's web site but that didn't seem to help at all.

Also, it seems that there is an update for EMC 7.5 but since I bought the download version and not the retail CD, I can't update it. Sounds fishy, eh?

4 answers to this question

Got an NEC ND-3530A DVD+-RW DL in this new Dell Dimension I bought last week. I installed my copy of EMC 7.5 on it and no DVD that I burn are readable anywhere. There are no errors during the burn process. I think I've ruined four DVD-R discs so far with no success.

When you put the DVD in the drive on my other computer or even back in this drive, it takes about five minutes of clicking and whirring before it just gives up and pretends that no disc is in the drive.

Any ideas? I updated the firmware to 104c with a file I got from Dell's web site but that didn't seem to help at all.

Also, it seems that there is an update for EMC 7.5 but since I bought the download version and not the retail CD, I can't update it. Sounds fishy, eh?

Of course you want to switch to RW media until you get this straighten out.

The only update for V7.5 was to minor and by re-downloading you will get the updated version.

It sounds more like a hardware issue but without any details I cannot offer any guesses… How about a Data DVD, does that work?

Of course you want to switch to RW media until you get this straighten out.

The only update for V7.5 was to minor and by re-downloading you will get the updated version.

It sounds more like a hardware issue but without any details I cannot offer any guesses… How about a Data DVD, does that work?

It was a data DVD. I was trying to burn about 900MB of various files on my PC to a DVD-R. I haven't even considered trying other DVD formats - I just didn't get that far yet :)

It was a data DVD. I was trying to burn about 900MB of various files on my PC to a DVD-R. I haven't even considered trying other DVD formats - I just didn't get that far yet :)

Mmmm ... just to be sure ... you used Classic Creator and indicated you want to make a data disc, right?

But the symptoms sound more like the disc was formatted first ... the primary use of Packet-Writing is to permantly lose the data. Well, ok, my software guru told me it was for temproraily holding large files, like html websites, for which a floppy is too small, and which aren't expected to be held more than a brief time. For most users, tho, there is the delusion that means "like a floppy disc". I've been there, done that, lost the data permantly.

WinXP figures it can write the data and TOC when it gets around to it, thinking it is a permant drive, so if the disc is ejected from the eject button, it is often ejected either before the data is written or the TOC [Table of Contents] is written. No TOC, no way for the computer to find the info, and it assumes there is no disc in the drive when you put it back in.

(Short course for saving data: NEVER format the disc if you want to KEEP the data)

Lynn

Archived