Cannot Open .avi Files

jbzeigler

Question

I recently started using Roxio EMC 9 /MyDVD to burn DVDs that include personal videos. These videos range in length (10,20,30,40,50 minutes) and are in .avi format. When I go to the folder to open the files, it shows the icon with a red circle and a / through it. I downloaded and installed k-lite codec pack (basic and full), directX 10.0 from Microsoft.com. I have an Intel P-4 3.0GHz processor, 512 MB ram, dvd-burner (obviously), Intel® 82865G Graphic controller. I'm stumped.

10 answers to this question

GSpot Results:

Codec: XviD

Name: XviD 1.2 SMP

Codec(s) Are Installed

It is the full version of EMC9. Is there any other burning software without this many issues? So far, I am not very impressed with Roxio and their versions.

Right, it seems you do have the required codec and you say you don't have the crippled version (although you haven't quoted the version/build number), so I don't know why it's failing.

Perhaps the suggestions Terry and Paul made might help you.

Regards,

Brendon

An AVI file is a container file into which compressed video is loaded. The compression is done with a codec, and to play the AVI you need a decompressor which matches the one used to originally compress the video.

The slashed circle sign shows that either (1) you have one of Roxio's deliberately crippled versions of MyDVD, or (2) you have the full version MyDVD but don't have the matching codec required to decompress the video.

If you have the full version of EMC9, then it's likely condition (2) applies. To check this get a copy of the GSpot codec information appliance, free from here.

Run GSpot, and in Windows Explorer drag one of your AVIs onto the GSpot box. It will analyze the AVI, tell you information about the codec used, and tell you if you have installed the codec required. There are a large number of codecs 'out there' and k-lite doesn't have all of them.

Regards,

Brendon

I recently started using Roxio EMC 9 /MyDVD to burn DVDs that include personal videos. These videos range in length (10,20,30,40,50 minutes) and are in .avi format. When I go to the folder to open the files, it shows the icon with a red circle and a / through it. I downloaded and installed k-lite codec pack (basic and full), directX 10.0 from Microsoft.com. I have an Intel P-4 3.0GHz processor, 512 MB ram, dvd-burner (obviously), Intel® 82865G Graphic controller. I'm stumped.

HI, i have the same problem as you. Did you get it fixed? and if so what did you do?

If you read this thread, it would appear the the OP didn't get it fixed.

. . . or he got it fixed, and didn't bother to come back and tell us so - which is more likely, I think.

Cloud,

I've answered the topic you started. Go look there for some help.

Brendon

I ran G-Spot v2.70a. Under CONTAINER, it says File Length Correct. Under VIDEO, it says Codec(s) Installed. Under AUDIO, it says Codec(s) Installed. Under USER DATA/METADATA, it says:

[iSFT] VirtualDub

[uSER] DivX999b000p

[uSER] XviD0038

I do have DivX installed too.

I ran G-Spot v2.70a. Under CONTAINER, it says File Length Correct. Under VIDEO, it says Codec(s) Installed. Under AUDIO, it says Codec(s) Installed. Under USER DATA/METADATA, it says:

[iSFT] VirtualDub

[uSER] DivX999b000p

[uSER] XviD0038

I do have DivX installed too.

Double check you have the xvid codec installed. If, after installing this codec and rebooting it still doesn't work, you can give this prefup tool a try.

<snip>

This topic is attracting a cluster of gurus going in different directions. :(

jbzeigler, are you using the full version of EMC9, and if so what does GSpot say about the Codec and Name [top right corner] when you run it against one of the problematic AVIs?

Archived