Can't Seem To Rip Dvd's

LDMartin1959

Question

EMC10/ I'm trying to rip DVD's to put on my iPod so I can watch movies when I travel. I realize that copy protected movies won't rip, requiring me to pay for the movie all over again if I want to download it from iTunes. But I have movies that I know for sure are not copy protected and I still can't get them to rip. When I try, I get the padlock icon which seems to indicate that this movie is copy protected. Except I know it isn't. What am I missing here?

14 answers to this question

If the disc has copy protection you see this.

post-97-1214919316.png

cd

Hmmm. The disc that I have been using as my test reports copy protected in Roxio, but I had done a test convert on with another program which indicated that the disc was not copy protected. Hmmmm. Now I'm somewhat confused.

Hmmm. The disc that I have been using as my test reports copy protected in Roxio, but I had done a test convert on with another program which indicated that the disc was not copy protected. Hmmmm. Now I'm somewhat confused.

The Roxio software isn't going to work for you, with those movies. Maybe Roxio senses the origin. Who knows.

The name of the program being?

Are you trying to rip commercial (purchased) movies?

Hmmm. One was DVD to Ipod converter by Cucusoft, and I believe another was a DVD to Ipod converter by E-Zsoft.

Why do you need EMC 10 if those software you mentioned already do the job?

And the response to my 2nd question in post 11 above is?

Why do you need EMC 10 if those software you mentioned already do the job?

And the response to my 2nd question in post 11 above is?

I had tried those other programs on another computer but when I upgraded computers I got EMC10 for expanded DVD management and I was hoping to use a single suite of programs to do all the jobs I wanted. I just hate cluttering up my computer with half-a-dozen programs just to get a feature here and a feature there if I can get them all in one place.

Sorry I forgot to respond to 2nd question. Yes, the movies I want to take with me on my iPod are commercially purchased movies. I hate being forced to pay for a movie twice just to be able to take it with me on my iPod, particularly when the copyright law (which the movie and record companies love to beat people over the head with) guarantees the right to convert from one format to another for convenience under the fair use doctrine, which should mean I shouldn't have to buy the same movie or music multiple times.

I am guessing that the other Ipod specific programs have a licensing agreement and specific safeguards in place to prevent copyright infringements… Otherwise the movie industry will shut them down as it has others!

Roxio is an editing program and do not have these protections so to remain legal, it isn't going to do it!

Maybe someday but not today.

EMC10/ I'm trying to rip DVD's to put on my iPod so I can watch movies when I travel. I realize that copy protected movies won't rip, requiring me to pay for the movie all over again if I want to download it from iTunes. But I have movies that I know for sure are not copy protected and I still can't get them to rip. When I try, I get the padlock icon which seems to indicate that this movie is copy protected. Except I know it isn't. What am I missing here?

Are you using Video Copy & Convert?

Yes, and I also neglected to mention that when I try to select a destination the drop down box is greyed out. Or at least I think it's greyed out. It is at least non-responsive.

Can you load these movies into Videowave? Try it & see what happens.

How would I do that with Videowave? It doesn't seem to have an option ot open a DVD, only Videowave files.

Are there .vob files on the disc you are trying to import? You should be able to bring those files into a videowave production.

Archived