• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Very Elementary Question, Please Don't Laugh

PegoMan

Question

I'm not too computer literate (an old guy) so bear with me. All I want to do is to be able to record a Formula 1 race on my Direct TV DVR receiver and somehow download it to my PC or Mac and then burn it to a cd. I'm a very big F1 fan and would like to have a collection of the races for my future enjoyment.

My question is: will Roxio do this? Is this what this program is for? Is so then I'll get the software and figure out how to use it. I just hate to purchase it and find that it is not even intended for this purpose.

Thanks and sorry for the very basic question.

John

2 answers to this question

First you need to check with DirecTV. They have special software to transfer the files from the DVR to the computer. You will need to know if the DVR uses USB or Firewire. Most use firewire that I've seen.

Also some TV shows can be copy protected. Not sure how you can check that. Those stations or individual programs can not be burned to a disc even though they may transfer to a computer.

Once the files are transferred, you should be able to burn to CD or video DVD with the correct hardware.

I'm not too computer literate (an old guy) so bear with me. All I want to do is to be able to record a Formula 1 race on my Direct TV DVR receiver and somehow download it to my PC or Mac and then burn it to a cd. I'm a very big F1 fan and would like to have a collection of the races for my future enjoyment.

My question is: will Roxio do this? Is this what this program is for? Is so then I'll get the software and figure out how to use it. I just hate to purchase it and find that it is not even intended for this purpose.

Thanks and sorry for the very basic question.

John

I am an "old" guy to! Be 68 next month, so I know what you mean.

Let me tell you how I did it, and this may not work for you with the directTV DVR. I have a JVC MODEL DR-MV1S COMBO that has dual tuners and A/V IN/OUT JACKS. I connect my camcorder up to the F1 in put (A/V) and select either VHS or DVD-R to record. If you have the A/V output on the DVR you might consider a capture device like BELKINS VIDEO BUS II MODEL FSU208. Here is the BUT... There are no drivers that I have found for VISTA. Roxio EMC 10 will recognize the FSU208 in XP and capture video and sound. The setup is a little tricky for the audio capture. But I have used to capture home movies. The other gentleman is correct, you cannot record protected media. Currently, I am back to the JVC COMBO, as all my computer capture devices won't work in VISTA!

SO, you will need more than just a fine EMC 10 to capture the video and sound. I have been to longwinded here, but have not scratched the surface of dubbing video.

Archived