Chapter Menus

coachmad

Question

I am creating a DVD and have added Chapter Menus. When I preview them my font for the MAIN menu and the Chapter menu is different. WHY? How do you edit the CHAPTER MENU! I thought at one time I did. As a matter of fact I know I did because I changed the Chapter Menu picture to a better still picture for when it came up to be selected. Can anyone please help?

Thanks ahead of time.

19 answers to this question

I agree with Paul, no need to stop trying to help people, we have all made our share of mistakes. I didn't take it as Walt being harsh, just to the point. We all want to help and I think everyone recognizes that, it is just important to correct something that is incorrect, nothing personal intended. :)

I had already tried to rename the chapters as you explained, but without success. However, I'll give it another shot! Maybe it was because I went back AFTER marking the chapters and tried to rename? Maybe it has to be done AS you are marking chapters? Hmmm.... I have two more days to try it out :)

To change the chapter text click on the text under the thumbnail twice with a second or two interval between clicks, a double-click does not highlight the text properly for renaming.

Ouch . . . that sounds a little harsh. :) Not everybody gets it right all the time, right? I may be overly sensitive but it makes want to retreat from posting . . .

Sorry if you feel that my post was harsh :D

I have given wrong advice and have been corrected by other posters and have never felt that they were harsh :huh:

Guest mlpasley

I make lots of mistakes in posting. Sometimes it's because I've misunderstood the poster and sometimes it's just because my brain has gone temporarily haywire. :)

When someone else corrects my error, I really appreciate it because the goal is to help someone else with a problem.

To change the chapter text click on the text under the thumbnail twice with a second or two interval between clicks, a double-click does not highlight the text properly for renaming.

GENIUS! PURE GENIUS! I love it.... I don't know how you discovered it, but I love it! Why should Roxio make this easy?? This is the craziest thing I've ever heard, but it works. I'm agog. It's like finding an Easter Egg. Thank you thank you thank you!

ALSO, I figured out problem #2: How to change and keep the font color in the Chapter menus (maybe it was obvious, but I'm very proud of myself anyway because I didn't see it up until now) - when you are in the Menu Theme window, under Advanced options, in the drop down menu next to "Text" you have to make sure there is no font selected. To do this, I had to go to the last font in the drop down menu and click the blank space under it to select it. For Roxio to have put "NONE" would have made it too easy and therefore not as exciting to discover. Of course, I wouldn't have wasted hours of my time and various DVDs to figure it out, but the excitement of the discovery would have been missed. (SARCASM) :huh:

So, after you do that, you can choose the text color by clicking "Font". HOWEVER, don't feel too smug yet! If you do any other clicking in any other places on that Menu theme page, Roxio punishes you for your boldness by changing the font colors back to the default color without advising you!! Even when I saved the font colors as part of a Custom Theme, when I went back to use it I had to change and save the font colors right before exiting the Menu Theme window (Sisterscape warned me about this!)

Now I am left with only one dilemma.... HOW TO CHANGE THE FONT COLOR ON THE TITLE OF THE CHAPTER PAGE. I'm sure it involves going out into the woods during a full moon and swinging a dead cat over my head or perhaps just upgrading to EMC9.5, but whatever the cost, I will find the way!

Okay, so I'm being dramatic. I just get annoyed when things are made more difficult than they need to be! :)

Thank you, myguggi for your help!

GENIUS! PURE GENIUS! I love it.... I don't know how you discovered it, but I love it! Why should Roxio make this easy?? This is the craziest thing I've ever heard, but it works. I'm agog. It's like finding an Easter Egg. Thank you thank you thank you!

ALSO, I figured out problem #2: How to change and keep the font color in the Chapter menus (maybe it was obvious, but I'm very proud of myself anyway because I didn't see it up until now) - when you are in the Menu Theme window, under Advanced options, in the drop down menu next to "Text" you have to make sure there is no font selected. To do this, I had to go to the last font in the drop down menu and click the blank space under it to select it. For Roxio to have put "NONE" would have made it too easy and therefore not as exciting to discover. Of course, I wouldn't have wasted hours of my time and various DVDs to figure it out, but the excitement of the discovery would have been missed. (SARCASM) :huh:

So, after you do that, you can choose the text color by clicking "Font". HOWEVER, don't feel too smug yet! If you do any other clicking in any other places on that Menu theme page, Roxio punishes you for your boldness by changing the font colors back to the default color without advising you!! Even when I saved the font colors as part of a Custom Theme, when I went back to use it I had to change and save the font colors right before exiting the Menu Theme window (Sisterscape warned me about this!)

Now I am left with only one dilemma.... HOW TO CHANGE THE FONT COLOR ON THE TITLE OF THE CHAPTER PAGE. I'm sure it involves going out into the woods during a full moon and swinging a dead cat over my head or perhaps just upgrading to EMC9.5, but whatever the cost, I will find the way!

Okay, so I'm being dramatic. I just get annoyed when things are made more difficult than they need to be! :)

Thank you, myguggi for your help!

Don't get hung up on the chapter, I actually never use them. I prefer creating titles on the main menu page to jump to different parts of the video.

The chapter text change actually works just like "renaming" files in Windows Explorer.

Part of the fun of using EMC is just experimenting and finding out yourself what you can and cannot do. This forum is also very useful for learning tricka and tips and sharing your discoveries with others.

Don't get hung up on the chapter, I actually never use them. I prefer creating titles on the main menu page to jump to different parts of the video.

The chapter text change actually works just like "renaming" files in Windows Explorer.

Part of the fun of using EMC is just experimenting and finding out yourself what you can and cannot do. This forum is also very useful for learning tricka and tips and sharing your discoveries with others.

Well, color me silly, because I've been right-clicking all these years, and never knew that would work in Windows Explorer!!! You learn something new every day.... and some days more than others! :)

Well, color me silly, because I've been right-clicking all these years, and never knew that would work in Windows Explorer!!! You learn something new every day.... and some days more than others! :huh:

Thats because you have "way2muchtodo" :) and because I have "way2littletodo" :D

I'm also having chapte menu woes... first of all, you have to be a detective to even figure out where to go to edit them. Then, when you find it and make changes, they don't all seem to "stick"!

I was trying to change the font colors because against the background picture I chose they were all but invisible. I changed them, but on the preview, they still are the origianl color. I even saved the whole thing as a custom theme, but it reverted back to those original colors once again. Maddening, isn't it??

Looks like there weren't too many ideas on how to get around it either.

:-(

Guest mlpasley
I think/thought those were the titles. I can edit those, but when I preview the chapter menu within those titles on the Main Menu, they are titled Chap1, Chap2, etc.

What version are you using? I think the ability to change the chapter menus changed with version 7.5.

That is just not happening for me... It looks right when I see it in the Menu Theme window, and I can't figure out how to see the Chapter Mnu in the mail DVD Builder window, but when I click to preview... the default colors are back!

I think/thought those were the titles. I can edit those, but when I preview the chapter menu within those titles on the Main Menu, they are titled Chap1, Chap2, etc. They appear to be given these names when you choose to "mark chapters". I've tried to rename them in this window without success :-( Also, within those title menus, I still can't figure out how to change the color of the font for the "Title Name"... not that I expect it would STAY changed anyway :)

SisterScape is wrong and you are right - when you add 3 productions you create 3 Titles. You then click on one of the title and under the title you create the Chapters.

To change the font.size/color of a title on the Menu page simply click on the title text and then use the Menu Editor toolbar to make your changes.

You can edit the chapter text under the Titles but not font, color, etc will remain the same as that of the Titles. Whne in the Mark Chapters dialog box simply double-click on the chapter text and change it.

I'm also having chapte menu woes... first of all, you have to be a detective to even figure out where to go to edit them. Then, when you find it and make changes, they don't all seem to "stick"!

I was trying to change the font colors because against the background picture I chose they were all but invisible. I changed them, but on the preview, they still are the origianl color. I even saved the whole thing as a custom theme, but it reverted back to those original colors once again. Maddening, isn't it??

Looks like there weren't too many ideas on how to get around it either.

:-(

When I save a custom theme, the background, buttons and title text are saved but alas, the fonts and colors are not. This behavior has been confirmed by the gurus here. I've gotten used to having to click and redo everytime I create a new menu with a custom template. I guess this just proves that nothing's perfect . . .

When I save a custom theme, the background, buttons and title text are saved but alas, the fonts and colors are not. This behavior has been confirmed by the gurus here. I've gotten used to having to click and redo everytime I create a new menu with a custom template. I guess this just proves that nothing's perfect . . .

So you are actually able to burn the DVD with the fonts and colors you wanted? Mine didn't turn out that way. I thought I saved it, but maybe I should have checked again just before burning. I'll try it again. If it's saved, it should show up the right way in the preview and eventually on the DVD, right? In the meantime, are you able to change the text where it says chap 1, chap 2, etc.? I couldn't figure out a way to rename them. AND is there any way to edit the "Title Name" at the top of the chapter menu? Even though I change the font color for main buttons and chapter buttons, the "Title Nam" stays the same in the preview window. And while we're on the topic of menus, on the Main or Title menu, is it possible to add a second line of text for the title?

Trying to edit these menus has been the most frustrating part of the whole process- so close and yet so far from completing my movie!!! When you get to DVD Builder and in the upper right hand corner of the Menu Editor pane there is a drop-down menu, all I can get is Title Menu 1. Should I be able to access my chapter menus from this window also? Wouldn't that be lovely??? :-D

Thanks for the help!

So you are actually able to burn the DVD with the fonts and colors you wanted? Mine didn't turn out that way. I thought I saved it, but maybe I should have checked again just before burning. I'll try it again. IF it's saved, it should show up the right way in the preview and eventually on the DVD, right?
Yes! If you look at the preview or burn to an ISO file first, you can check that it is the way you want it.
In the meantime, are you able to change the text where it says chap 1, chap 2, etc.? I couldn't figure out a way to rename them.
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. When I add three productions to DVDBuilder, I get three thumbnails with text underneath. I change the thumbnails to the frame I want and alter the text, font and color, if necessary. Those three productions are considered to be three 'chapters', I think.
And while we're on the topic of menus, on the Main or Title menu, is it possible to add a second line of text for the title?
I haven't been able to do so.

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome!

Yes! If you look at the preview or burn to an ISO file first, you can check that it is the way you want it.

That is just not happening for me... It looks right when I see it in the Menu Theme window, and I can't figure out how to see the Chapter Mnu in the mail DVD Builder window, but when I click to preview... the default colors are back!

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. When I add three productions to DVDBuilder, I get three thumbnails with text underneath. I change the thumbnails to the frame I want and alter the text, font and color, if necessary. Those three productions are considered to be three 'chapters', I think.

I think/thought those were the titles. I can edit those, but when I preview the chapter menu within those titles on the Main Menu, they are titled Chap1, Chap2, etc. They appear to be given these names when you choose to "mark chapters". I've tried to rename them in this window without success :-( Also, within those title menus, I still can't figure out how to change the color of the font for the "Title Name"... not that I expect it would STAY changed anyway :)

Ouch . . . that sounds a little harsh. :) Not everybody gets it right all the time, right? I may be overly sensitive but it makes want to retreat from posting . . .

Nah, don't stop posting. No reason to take anything here personally. Sometimes, getting right to the point is not a bad thing.

You can edit the chapter text under the Titles but not font, color, etc will remain the same as that of the Titles. Whne in the Mark Chapters dialog box simply double-click on the chapter text and change it.

This is the only part that I am still having trouble with... The font color within the chapter menu does not match the one in my title menu. It seems to have been decided by someone other than me! The only reason this even bothers me is that the background picture I want to use blends in with the defualt font color. I thought I had found a way to change it by creating a custom theme, but it kept reverting back to the default colors each time I previewed the project :D

I had already tried to rename the chapters as you explained, but without success. However, I'll give it another shot! Maybe it was because I went back AFTER marking the chapters and tried to rename? Maybe it has to be done AS you are marking chapters? Hmmm.... I have two more days to try it out :)

Ouch . . . that sounds a little harsh. :D Not everybody gets it right all the time, right? I may be overly sensitive but it makes want to retreat from posting . . .

Sister, these things always sound (look) worse in writing! You've been very helpful and I appreciate the time you took to explain things to me! Please don't desert me now! I need more help here than any one person can give :huh:

What version are you using? I think the ability to change the chapter menus changed with version 7.5.

Yikes, I only have 7!!! I knew I should have taken that upgrade offer!! :D

Archived