Av Sync Problems - It's Everywhere

lehill

Question

I got satellite HDTV installed a couple weeks ago. While flipping through the HD channels and ooo'ing and aaahh'ing about the picture quality I noticed the audio and video were not in sync on a couple channels.

After visiting the satellite company's peer-to-peer user forum I learned that satellite HD broadcast uses MPEG for video compression. On occasion, they too have problems with audio/video sync just like us DVD burning people.

I'm beginning to think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the MPEG standard is set up for sync'ing audio and video.

Lance

1 answer to this question

I got satellite HDTV installed a couple weeks ago. While flipping through the HD channels and ooo'ing and aaahh'ing about the picture quality I noticed the audio and video were not in sync on a couple channels.

After visiting the satellite company's peer-to-peer user forum I learned that satellite HD broadcast uses MPEG for video compression. On occasion, they too have problems with audio/video sync just like us DVD burning people.

I'm beginning to think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the MPEG standard is set up for sync'ing audio and video.

Lance

I don't think there is anything wrong with the mpeg format but it does show that in the encoding and decoding of the files, something has a problem…

It isn't just satellite, I have seen the same thing with many cable shows. It is usually the lower budget productions.

Archived