• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Cd Audio When Folder Is Moved

mark10011001

Question

I haven't yet bought CD Creator 8 because I would like to know how it behaves in this scenario:

If I have a bunch of audio files in a folder on my PC and I have the CD Creator project file in the same folder, say "c:\audio\my_cd" I can burn the audio files to CD with no problem.

e.g

c:\audio\my_cd\file1.wav

c:\audio\my_cd\file2.wav

get burnt to CD and the project file is in the same place.

What happens if I move the entire folder to another location?

e.g. to

c:\new_folder\my_cd

c:\new_folder\my_cd\file1.wav

c:\new_folder\my_cd\file2.wav

c:\new_folder\my_cd\project file

so that the audio files still exist in the same folder (my_cd) as the project file but the parent folder location is different (c:\new_folder instead of c:\audio)

Will the CD Creator audio project file still notice that the same audio files are in the same folder and will it find them and burn them successfully?

Or will it do like Nero 6 does and complain that the audio files it is looking for are no longer present? Will it still look for "c:\audio\my_cd\file1.wav" instead of noticing that the files are still in the same folder as the project file?

It would be great to hear from anyone who has successfully done this - moved their folders around to different locations and the audio CD still gets burned successfully - before I think about buying Roxio and abandoning Nero.

Many Thanks

Mark Williams

6 answers to this question

I tried it.In V8 the program you use is Music Disc Creator.I put a couple files in a folder and created a project.Then created another folder and moved the files and the project to that folder.When I went back into MDC and tried to open the project a popup opened saying "file not found" and asking for the location of the missing files.If I browsed to the new location it added the files ok.This would be a hassle with a project with a lot of files in it as you'd have to browse for each file in the project.

So,I guess the answer is NO.Whatever folder location the project is made from is the one the files need to stay in for easy access.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to try this out - and to try it out accurately.

That does mean it doesn't do what I require. I haven't yet found any others that will do it either.

It looks like I may need to subst a drive letter and keep the folder path the same. That will at least allow the program to work with files on different drives, even though the folder name has to be identical (which I didn't want to do).

Or I just keep searching for products that might do what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Many thanks for taking the trouble to try this out - and to try it out accurately.

That does mean it doesn't do what I require. I haven't yet found any others that will do it either.

It looks like I may need to subst a drive letter and keep the folder path the same. That will at least allow the program to work with files on different drives, even though the folder name has to be identical (which I didn't want to do).

Or I just keep searching for products that might do what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

I'm guessing that Terry may have the Media Manager disabled, or if not, it hadn't caught up with the changes. I believe that if the Media Manager were running, and given "enough time", then when you went to open up your project, it would find your moved files. (Oh yeah, and I think it needs to be on an NTFS partition too.)

Again, this is my understanding of how the Media Manager is supposed to work, tracking the actual location of your files, even if you move them. Most people find the initial cataloging process somewhat disconcerting and wind up turning off Media Manager as it has to do a lot of disc searching to catalogue all the potential image, audio, and video files you may use in an EMC 8 project. Also, the cataloging creates a separate "stream" of data that is attached to the file. If that file is copied from an NTFS partition to a non-NTFS file system, Windows will complain that it can't copy the "stream" with it. Another annoyance.

Hope that helps!

Correct you are Dave.I do have it disabled.I didn't snap to Media Manager allowing this process.You're right,If I understand it correctly,that MM should track the files.I turned it off cuz I didn't want to wait for it to grind away to build its database.I suppose if you have the patience for it to do its thing then it probably is worth the hassle for doing what Mark's trying to do.I stand corrected.

Correct you are Dave.I do have it disabled.I didn't snap to Media Manager allowing this process.You're right,If I understand it correctly,that MM should track the files.I turned it off cuz I didn't want to wait for it to grind away to build its database.I suppose if you have the patience for it to do its thing then it probably is worth the hassle for doing what Mark's trying to do.I stand corrected.

Well, I don't have it installed either since I can't envision it being useful at this point. I simply don't use my system in such a way that it would do much of anything for me, except use up some system resources.

Glad you understand it to work the way I understand it.

Archived