• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mydvd

jay_roach

Question

I have a Dell computer less than 1 year old. It came with MYDVD LE (limited edition). It worked fine to capture a live TV program and burn it to dvd. I use EMC 8 and decided to use it to capture the TV programs. I seemed to have compatability problems between the two versioins of MYDVD LE and Roxio emc 8 version. I deleted the Dell MYDVD LE. I am not able to capture a TV program now. Create DVD opens MYDVD but when I open the angel mpeg option I get an error that says "Build" on Capture manager failed. It shows TV tuner but it is greyed out. I am not able to select anything after I select the import from mpeg device.

Since I deleted the Dell version of MYDVD I am not able to reinstall it since it did not come on a cd from Dell. I don't want to do a PC Restore if I don't have to do that.

Restating... capturing a TV program did work perfectly using MYDVD LE from Dell. I can't get it to work using Roxio emc8. I would appreciate any help you may give me.

Thanks

Jay

24 answers to this question

I downloaded the dual tuner patch and when I tried to install it I was told that the driver on my computer was either newer or uptodate. Therefore I chose not to install it.

In the device manager under video, sound, etc it is listed as Angel Mpeg Device.

An unrelated question I have is: Why don't I see radio buttons beside the options listed under video in emc 8? There are options listed but there is no way to select them. Is that normal? It seems odd to me but it may be related to the device problem that I must have.

I have the same problem with my Hauppauge but not all cards work with EMC. You're best off using what came with your card to capture from tv.....unless one of the other suggestions I made work for you.

I have the same problem with my Hauppauge but not all cards work with EMC. You're best off using what came with your card to capture from tv.....unless one of the other suggestions I made work for you.

Thank you pcostanza. You have really been a great help. I do intend to just use what came with the card and forget trying to us emc for that. It just seems a shame to spend so much for a package and not have it do what you expect. But that is the world of software these days.

You have been most kind and helpful. Thanks a lot.

Thank you pcostanza. You have really been a great help. I do intend to just use what came with the card and forget trying to us emc for that. It just seems a shame to spend so much for a package and not have it do what you expect. But that is the world of software these days.

You have been most kind and helpful. Thanks a lot.

Your welcome. Did your Dell come with Windows Media Center? If so, the tv functions built in seem to be very stable in the last release.

I have a TV next to my computer. Sometimes I watch TV on it.. sometimes on the computer. I record a few programs on the DVR and watch them when I am not recording or doing anything else. I like the TV on the computer as you can make a small picture and still surf and do anything else on the computer and come back to full screen TV when you want to do that. I just read a bunch of stuff about Vista in my computer magazine. It is bound to be a success. I did not know that Vista included Media Center. In fact I thought I read that it did not. Is it included in all Vista operating systems as just part of it?

My computer is less than a year old so I won't be in a rush to switch to VISTA. But I know I will at some point. I can only stay away from the new stuff for a certain amount of time before I gotta have it.

I checked my order on DELL for that MYDVD software and it has been shipped. I had to get it since I had deleted it from my computer and can't do a PC restore. Long story.. but all will be ok.

Got to go as I watch that series "24" and am hooked on it. I bought the 3rd and 4th season on DVD off of eBay for my daughter and son-in-law for his birthday. They are as bad about watching it as I am.

That Angel mpeg device is an Emuzed Angel Dual TV Tuner. I have heard that Lumanate is now the company for Angel. What a rat race with this stuff.

Your welcome. Did your Dell come with Windows Media Center? If so, the tv functions built in seem to be very stable in the last release.

Yes this dell 5100 is media center 2005. I have to say I love it. I had Directv dual channel dvr. So I can record on the dvr or on my computer. I like to put certain TV programs on dvd for my son since he does not have TV. I find that if I use MYDVD to capture while watching it is faster to get to dvd. If I record to my mce computer I can put them on dvd as well but for some reason it takes much longer.

I am so spoiled with directv and the media center that I am not sure I could get along without them.. Well I could but I would now want to. Just plain awesome what can be done. I watch TV on my computer screen often because I have a better sound system on the computer than the TV. Go figure, huh.

Thanks again for your great assistance.

Jay

It is possible (and probable) that the Dell version of LE program and capture device have some proprietary settings that work for that combination but not with EMC 8. This is a common situation and most people have to use the program that came with the capture device (the LE). Do you know what capture card came with the Dell?

Do you get the same problem if you open "Media Import" from the home menu?

I have a Dell computer less than 1 year old. It came with MYDVD LE (limited edition). It worked fine to capture a live TV program and burn it to dvd. I use EMC 8 and decided to use it to capture the TV programs. I seemed to have compatability problems between the two versioins of MYDVD LE and Roxio emc 8 version. I deleted the Dell MYDVD LE. I am not able to capture a TV program now. Create DVD opens MYDVD but when I open the angel mpeg option I get an error that says "Build" on Capture manager failed. It shows TV tuner but it is greyed out. I am not able to select anything after I select the import from mpeg device.

Since I deleted the Dell version of MYDVD I am not able to reinstall it since it did not come on a cd from Dell. I don't want to do a PC Restore if I don't have to do that.

Restating... capturing a TV program did work perfectly using MYDVD LE from Dell. I can't get it to work using Roxio emc8. I would appreciate any help you may give me.

Thanks

Jay

It is possible (and probable) that the Dell version of LE program and capture device have some proprietary settings that work for that combination but not with EMC 8. This is a common situation and most people have to use the program that came with the capture device (the LE). Do you know what capture card came with the Dell?

Thank you for your reply. My capture card is an "angel" . I hope I am giving the right name. I did go to the home menu and selected "Media Import". But when I get to that page it has options to select - one of them being "capture video from video capture card" which I wanted to select. It says select the "button" for the option you want. My problem is that there is "NO" button listed for any option. So I clicked on"video" at the top and it goes to the same page I had been to earlier where I got the error. That page does not have "buttons" beside the options either. I can only select the input dropdown list and it shows "Angel MPEG device".

Yes this dell 5100 is media center 2005. I have to say I love it. I had Directv dual channel dvr. So I can record on the dvr or on my computer. I like to put certain TV programs on dvd for my son since he does not have TV. I find that if I use MYDVD to capture while watching it is faster to get to dvd. If I record to my mce computer I can put them on dvd as well but for some reason it takes much longer.

I am so spoiled with directv and the media center that I am not sure I could get along without them.. Well I could but I would now want to. Just plain awesome what can be done. I watch TV on my computer screen often because I have a better sound system on the computer than the TV. Go figure, huh.

Thanks again for your great assistance.

Jay

Just a suggestion but an not the best one....if you simply want to record tv for your son direct to dvd, look into a dvd recorder like Cyberhome. These are much cheaper now and you can even record to an RW disc over and over again if you want.

Seems like with your MCE and Directv dual channel keep you pretty busy.

It's always best to use the software that came with your card to capture. There are some nice freeware programs that are a better pvr than what's offered in EMC. I'm not sure about the Angel card but you can view these sites to see if you can benefit from them.

GBPVR and Mediaportal

I use GBPVR and have for 2 years and love it.

It's always best to use the software that came with your card to capture. There are some nice freeware programs that are a better pvr than what's offered in EMC. I'm not sure about the Angel card but you can view these sites to see if you can benefit from them.

GBPVR and Mediaportal

I use GBPVR and have for 2 years and love it.

Thank you for your help. I will look at the options you mentioned (ie: GBPVR and Mediaportal). I hope there is no conflict between these freeware programs and EMC8. I really appreciate your help.

Jay

Just a suggestion but an not the best one....if you simply want to record tv for your son direct to dvd, look into a dvd recorder like Cyberhome. These are much cheaper now and you can even record to an RW disc over and over again if you want.

Seems like with your MCE and Directv dual channel keep you pretty busy.

I will look into Cyberhome. Thanks for that suggestion. I use media center for viewing all my pictures. Have saved some cd music on there as well. I find it so strange that I can change the channel on the TV from my computer keyboard or from the mce remote. Doesn't take a lot to make me happy.. heheh

Thanks again

If you couldn't figure out where your recorded shows were going, for a month, then there is no doubt in my mind, that you don't really know what your doing, and Roxio is not your problem.

grandpa

I can see your full of wisdom by the pic you used. If you hate Roxio so bad why are you in their forum.

Thank you for your help. I will look at the options you mentioned (ie: GBPVR and Mediaportal). I hope there is no conflict between these freeware programs and EMC8. I really appreciate your help.

Jay

I have both installed on my system with no problems. The only challenge I see is with your card. I don't know if it's fully supported. You can visit their forums listed on the home page and ask. Very helpful folks there.

I have both installed on my system with no problems. The only challenge I see is with your card. I don't know if it's fully supported. You can visit their forums listed on the home page and ask. Very helpful folks there.

I assume the "Capture card" is the same as my "Tuner". Is that a good assumption. I only say it is "Angel" because that is the option showing when I click on "Video". Are you able to tell me how I find out what my Capture card is? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

I assume the "Capture card" is the same as my "Tuner". Is that a good assumption. I only say it is "Angel" because that is the option showing when I click on "Video". Are you able to tell me how I find out what my Capture card is? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

You're correct. A tuner is one type of capture card. To see more of what your card is, right click on My Computers, choose Properties, click the Hardwared Tab then Device Manager. Look for 'sound, video and game controllers' and click the plus sign next to it. You should see something there with the word 'Tuner' in it. Let me know what it says exactly. Maybe we can find out exactly what type of card you have.

Of course, maybe your docs that came with the computer are close by with this information.

I will look into Cyberhome. Thanks for that suggestion. I use media center for viewing all my pictures. Have saved some cd music on there as well. I find it so strange that I can change the channel on the TV from my computer keyboard or from the mce remote. Doesn't take a lot to make me happy.. heheh

Thanks again

I use GBPVR but am testing Vista beta which has MCE included and it is very nice. Very simple and much better in the latest beta. I'd rather watch tv on a real tv but sometimes when you just gotta do work and you want to also watch the news or part of game, it is a pleasant luxury.

hello, recently bought a laptop from dell-to record live tv and edit --so they told me, well it took 1 month to find where it is sent. and then bought roxio-8 to edit out the commercials another 3 weeks with this software---shutting down and freezing. went to ulead and did what i wanted to do for so long in 1 hour--worked on all dvd players regardless of media type. roxio sucks!!!!!!

I use GBPVR but am testing Vista beta which has MCE included and it is very nice. Very simple and much better in the latest beta. I'd rather watch tv on a real tv but sometimes when you just gotta do work and you want to also watch the news or part of game, it is a pleasant luxury.

I have a TV next to my computer. Sometimes I watch TV on it.. sometimes on the computer. I record a few programs on the DVR and watch them when I am not recording or doing anything else. I like the TV on the computer as you can make a small picture and still surf and do anything else on the computer and come back to full screen TV when you want to do that. I just read a bunch of stuff about Vista in my computer magazine. It is bound to be a success. I did not know that Vista included Media Center. In fact I thought I read that it did not. Is it included in all Vista operating systems as just part of it?

My computer is less than a year old so I won't be in a rush to switch to VISTA. But I know I will at some point. I can only stay away from the new stuff for a certain amount of time before I gotta have it.

I checked my order on DELL for that MYDVD software and it has been shipped. I had to get it since I had deleted it from my computer and can't do a PC restore. Long story.. but all will be ok.

Got to go as I watch that series "24" and am hooked on it. I bought the 3rd and 4th season on DVD off of eBay for my daughter and son-in-law for his birthday. They are as bad about watching it as I am.

hello, recently bought a laptop from dell-to record live tv and edit --so they told me, well it took 1 month to find where it is sent. and then bought roxio-8 to edit out the commercials another 3 weeks with this software---shutting down and freezing. went to ulead and did what i wanted to do for so long in 1 hour--worked on all dvd players regardless of media type. roxio sucks!!!!!!

I have to admit that it is tough staying with Roxio. It does some things great. I can't knock it except it won't work with my tuner card. I have decided to just stay with the Dell software (actually it is Sonic.. which also makes Roxio). I think it is just the compatability problems with certain mpeg cards. There is a lot of frustration when trying to make it do what you want it to do. Good luck.

What the heck are you talking about? Please try to put a full sentence together.

Why didn't you use the software that came with your system. Further, I've only seen 2 posts from you and one is simply a quote from someone else. Maybe you could of asked for some help here before coming to your conclusion.

If you couldn't figure out where your recorded shows were going, for a month, then there is no doubt in my mind, that you don't really know what your doing, and Roxio is not your problem.

Here is a patch for the Angel Driver

All I saw at Dell was a Dual Tuner version and the USB version. This driver patch is for the dual tuner PCI version.

Update drivers for the Angel USB Tuner

I downloaded the dual tuner patch and when I tried to install it I was told that the driver on my computer was either newer or uptodate. Therefore I chose not to install it.

In the device manager under video, sound, etc it is listed as Angel Mpeg Device.

An unrelated question I have is: Why don't I see radio buttons beside the options listed under video in emc 8? There are options listed but there is no way to select them. Is that normal? It seems odd to me but it may be related to the device problem that I must have.

Archived