Wma (with Drm) - Making Audio Cd

patlange

Question

I recently purchased a wma file from MSN and am attempting to burn it onto a blank CD-RW. (My husband needs to study it for a class and since the DRM files are on my computer, I can't just transfer the wma file to his computer.) According to the Creator 8 instructions, the "Audio CD for Car or Home" should work for this.

Unfortunately, this is what happens: Audio CD shows "Current burn speed: calculating" in the large, right-hand panel. The bottom, middle, panel (Progress), reads "Burning disc, please wait...", but the progress status bar (green bars) shows the progress as complete. In fact, nothing has been burned and no apparent attempt has been made by the program to access the blank CD.

Audio CD Creator hasn't moved from this spot for a couple of hours now. What's going on here?

3 answers to this question

The best way to burn your purchased music on a cd is to use the native software from where you purchased it. EMC will not burn copy protected cd's. Burn it to a cd from the site---I think they use Rhapsody(no cd/rw) then use EMC to rip the song to your drive as an mp3 then you should be able to burn it to another disc. However, CD-RW discs rarely work in standard cd players. Only the newer ones or those that specifically say they hand RW discs will play them.

I remember reading somewhere that the new music from MSN needs to be burned using WMP10 but am not sure about this.

My Editorial: it's a shame that you can still buy music legally yet they feel the need to tell you how you have to use it once you own it. :)

Thanks, Paul. I like free beer, too. Although my later experience showed your information to be inaccurate, nonetheless it got me started in a direction that allowed me to solve my problem. My first effort was to try to burn a CD using WMP's built in burner. It claimed I didn't have the right codec. (??? this was a wma file!) After some trial & error, I ended up reinstalling WMP (version 10 - as I had before).

At this point I went back to Roxio's Audio CD Creator and started over: I successfully burned the wma file to the CD-RW. I then ran the track01.cda file through an audio converter (I like Goldwave, but probably Roxio's version would work just fine) and ended up with the mp3 file I wanted on my hard drive. Apparently all my problems were caused by a corrupt installation of WMP.

You CAN burn DRM-protected wma files to an audio disc (CD-R or CD-RW, at least) and end up with files you can transfer and modify as you wish. Since burning the CD was an intermediate step, I used the RW to prevent waste - no worries about whether it could ever be played by anything.

Thanks, Paul. I like free beer, too. Although my later experience showed your information to be inaccurate, nonetheless it got me started in a direction that allowed me to solve my problem. My first effort was to try to burn a CD using WMP's built in burner. It claimed I didn't have the right codec. (??? this was a wma file!) After some trial & error, I ended up reinstalling WMP (version 10 - as I had before).

At this point I went back to Roxio's Audio CD Creator and started over: I successfully burned the wma file to the CD-RW. I then ran the track01.cda file through an audio converter (I like Goldwave, but probably Roxio's version would work just fine) and ended up with the mp3 file I wanted on my hard drive. Apparently all my problems were caused by a corrupt installation of WMP.

You CAN burn DRM-protected wma files to an audio disc (CD-R or CD-RW, at least) and end up with files you can transfer and modify as you wish. Since burning the CD was an intermediate step, I used the RW to prevent waste - no worries about whether it could ever be played by anything.

Thanks for the update. I've never purchased from anywhere other than Napster and iTunes. They all work somewhat the same I guess barking out their orders.

I recently purchased a wma file from MSN and am attempting to burn it onto a blank CD-RW. (My husband needs to study it for a class and since the DRM files are on my computer, I can't just transfer the wma file to his computer.) According to the Creator 8 instructions, the "Audio CD for Car or Home" should work for this.

Unfortunately, this is what happens: Audio CD shows "Current burn speed: calculating" in the large, right-hand panel. The bottom, middle, panel (Progress), reads "Burning disc, please wait...", but the progress status bar (green bars) shows the progress as complete. In fact, nothing has been burned and no apparent attempt has been made by the program to access the blank CD.

Audio CD Creator hasn't moved from this spot for a couple of hours now. What's going on here?

The best way to burn your purchased music on a cd is to use the native software from where you purchased it. EMC will not burn copy protected cd's. Burn it to a cd from the site---I think they use Rhapsody(no cd/rw) then use EMC to rip the song to your drive as an mp3 then you should be able to burn it to another disc. However, CD-RW discs rarely work in standard cd players. Only the newer ones or those that specifically say they hand RW discs will play them.

I remember reading somewhere that the new music from MSN needs to be burned using WMP10 but am not sure about this.

My Editorial: it's a shame that you can still buy music legally yet they feel the need to tell you how you have to use it once you own it. :)

Archived