• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

bzemeski

-43 Error Saving Disk Image

Question

I have saved 4 DVD sets of 4 iMovie Projects as disk images using Toast 8. I am trying to do the same with another set of 4 iMovie Projects, but after encoding for 15 hours I get a -43 error "missing files." There are no missing files and no indication of any thing wrong until 15 hrs. has passed. This has happened twice. Is there anyway to recover without trying again? This is ridiculous.

Bob Zemeski

9 answers to this question

I have no experience with that problem. I'm presuming you have plenty of available hard drive space where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. You might try closing and reopening Toast after doing each project to see if that makes any difference.

I have no experience with that problem. I'm presuming you have plenty of available hard drive space where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. You might try closing and reopening Toast after doing each project to see if that makes any difference.

I thought maybe I would try version 8 again.

I have a few more disk to burn for another project before I can tie-up the burner for another 15 hours.

I thought maybe I would try version 8 again.

Version 8 failed also:

1. I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a 1ghz MDD G4 (PowerPC) tower. I have 2GB memory and am using for this burn 3 hard drives;

Toast located on 60GB with 13.54 GB free

All the files are stored on 500GB FW HD with 233.74 free

Saving image file to 280 HD with 59GB free

2. I am using Toast 9.0.2

3. QuickTime Player is version 7.5, but I am not using it.

I have tested the process with a short iMovie Project file creating a disc image with the same set up and it works fine.

The error message I receive is:

" Couldn't complete the last command because a file couldn't be found. Result Code = -43 "

So, what is code -43?

Bob

Version 8 failed also:

1. I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a 1ghz MDD G4 (PowerPC) tower. I have 2GB memory and am using for this burn 3 hard drives;

Toast located on 60GB with 13.54 GB free

All the files are stored on 500GB FW HD with 233.74 free

Saving image file to 280 HD with 59GB free

2. I am using Toast 9.0.2

3. QuickTime Player is version 7.5, but I am not using it.

I have tested the process with a short iMovie Project file creating a disc image with the same set up and it works fine.

The error message I receive is:

" Couldn't complete the last command because a file couldn't be found. Result Code = -43 "

So, what is code -43?

Bob

Error code -43 appears when something, such as a file, is not found. It is a system error message.

When Toast is doing the encoding stage it writes files to the Roxio Converted Items folder which by default is located in your Documents folder. You can change the folder's location in Toast preferences. You also can change whether the files are automatically deleted when quitting Toast. I set mine for manually deleting the files. You mention that the error appeared after a long encoding process. If the files are still in the Converted Items folder then you can use them to create a new project that doesn't need encoding, but merely needs multiplexing to author a video DVD.

It doesn't make sense to me that Toast can't find a file after it has completed the encoding. The only thing I can think of is that a drive where some file is located has gone to sleep and it didn't wake up fast enough when Toast tried to access the file. You might go to System Preferences and uncheck the box in Energy Saver that puts drives to sleep after a certain period of time; at least when you plan to do extended encoding sessions.

Edited by tsantee

Error code -43 appears when something, such as a file, is not found. It is a system error message.

When Toast is doing the encoding stage it writes files to the Roxio Converted Items folder which by default is located in your Documents folder. You can change the folder's location in Toast preferences. You also can change whether the files are automatically deleted when quitting Toast. I set mine for manually deleting the files. You mention that the error appeared after a long encoding process. If the files are still in the Converted Items folder then you can use them to create a new project that doesn't need encoding, but merely needs multiplexing to author a video DVD.

It doesn't make sense to me that Toast can't find a file after it has completed the encoding. The only thing I can think of is that a drive where some file is located has gone to sleep and it didn't wake up fast enough when Toast tried to access the file. You might go to System Preferences and uncheck the box in Energy Saver that puts drives to sleep after a certain period of time; at least when you plan to do extended encoding sessions.

What do you mean that if files are in the "Roxio Converted" folder that a new project "doesn't need encoding, but merely needs multiplexing to author a video DVD." How is that done?

My "converted" folder option was set to delete after recording. I think you may have something there with the drive being asleep. The files are on a FireWire drive and sleeps very quickly if there is no activity, nonetheless, you would think that if this were the problem that either the programme would be modified to give the hard drive more time to wake up or to notify me to wake it up -- after all 15 hours is a long time for it to run while encoding is going on.

I have changed the preference to not empty the converted file and will set the preference to keep the HD awake when I get near the end of encoding.

I really appreciate your help.

Bob

What do you mean that if files are in the "Roxio Converted" folder that a new project "doesn't need encoding, but merely needs multiplexing to author a video DVD." How is that done?

My "converted" folder option was set to delete after recording. I think you may have something there with the drive being asleep. The files are on a FireWire drive and sleeps very quickly if there is no activity, nonetheless, you would think that if this were the problem that either the programme would be modified to give the hard drive more time to wake up or to notify me to wake it up -- after all 15 hours is a long time for it to run while encoding is going on.

I have changed the preference to not empty the converted file and will set the preference to keep the HD awake when I get near the end of encoding.

I really appreciate your help.

Bob

Presuming Toast finishes the encoding stage then you should have complete m2v (video) and ac3 (audio) files for each title in the converted items folder. Should there be some disaster such as you've experienced you can create a new Toast project and drag the .m2v files to the Toast Video window. Toast may ask you to locate the matching audio file if Toast doesn't automatically make the match. You'll have to recreate the menu the way you want. However, since the video is already MPEG 2 encoded then Toast can skip doing any encoding and will quickly proceed with multiplexing the audio and video together in authoring the video DVD.

Hopefully the sleep issue is the problem. Other Toast users experience a similar problem when their optical drive goes to sleep while waiting for the encoding to be finished and Toast just stalls at the start of the burn stage. It would be very beneficial if Toast could prevent external devices from sleeping.

[...]

Other Toast users experience a similar problem when their optical drive goes to sleep while waiting for the encoding to be finished and Toast just stalls at the start of the burn stage. It would be very beneficial if Toast could prevent external devices from sleeping.

As a workaround, wouldn't it be advisable in that situation to first create a disc image, and then burn the DVD from the disc image?

I have 90GB on the hard drive. I have closed and opened Toast after each project, but to no avail. I really think the issue of the HD being asleep when it gets to the end maybe the problem.

As a workaround, wouldn't it be advisable in that situation to first create a disc image, and then burn the DVD from the disc image?

A disc image is what I am doing first (take 15 hours), so the HD does go to sleep.

Presuming Toast finishes the encoding stage then you should have complete m2v (video) and ac3 (audio) files for each title in the converted items folder. Should there be some disaster such as you've experienced you can create a new Toast project and drag the .m2v files to the Toast Video window. Toast may ask you to locate the matching audio file if Toast doesn't automatically make the match. You'll have to recreate the menu the way you want. However, since the video is already MPEG 2 encoded then Toast can skip doing any encoding and will quickly proceed with multiplexing the audio and video together in authoring the video DVD.

Hopefully the sleep issue is the problem. Other Toast users experience a similar problem when their optical drive goes to sleep while waiting for the encoding to be finished and Toast just stalls at the start of the burn stage. It would be very beneficial if Toast could prevent external devices from sleeping.

GOOD NEWS! The project completed. Since the "Roxio Converted Items" folder contains only 3.38GB and I had 59Gb on the hard drive, I would say that it was the sleeping hard drive that cause the -43 error. (BTW, where are these errors found?). When the programme was over 90% complete I set the OS parameters no to allow the hard drives to sleep. The programme ran on as it was supposed to and finish. 60 hours to create an image file which was less than 5 GB of video.. WHY?

tsantee -- thanks a bunch. BTW, I tried your procedure using the m2v (video) files from the finished project to see it I could make it work and it did just fine. Thanks for this tip also.

Edited by bzemeski