• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Pick Your Movie Format: Download Or Dvd

cdanteek

Pick your movie format: Download or DVD

Updated 4/3/2006 9:12 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2...downloads_x.htm

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

For the first time, Hollywood is making its latest movies available for download the same day DVDs arrive.

The first movie to receive simultaneous DVD and download treatment will be Brokeback Mountain, available Tuesday at Movielink (www.movielink.com). Now playing on the service, launched today, are recent releases King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Pride & Prejudice, Rent and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

"For the first time, consumers have the ability to not just rent a (downloadable) major motion picture from the major Hollywood studios but to own them," Movielink CEO Jim Ramo says. Consumers will pay for the convenience. New films such as Brokeback, King Kong and Memoirs of a Geisha will cost $20 to $30; older films such as Jaws, Easy Rider, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Sting will cost $10 to $16. By comparison, new DVD releases often are discounted as low as $14.

Until now, only a few of Hollywood's latest films have been available online — typically weeks after they have hit DVD — but usually only for rental on sites such as Movielink, CinemaNow and Starz's Vongo. Movielink's announcement beats to the punch a similar service scheduled to launch in the UK next week by movie site Lovefilm, Universal and America Online. Online retailer Amazon also is reportedly talking with studios about the idea.

"We're probably three to five years away from any huge market, but early adopters are very interested," says Mike McGuire of Gartner Research.

Movielink's downloads will be of lesser quality than DVD but comparable to that of digital cable and satellite TV, Ramo says. "It certainly looks good on a notebook computer, desktop computer and a TV."

It takes about an hour to download a film, but it can be viewed within minutes. Customers can burn copies to DVD, but the movies, which are in Windows Media format, can't be played on standard DVD players. Downloads can be transferred to up to two PCs. A copy can be transferred to a laptop, but not to an iPod or Sony PSP, though eventually it will be compatible with Microsoft-supported portables.

Studios that will supply films to Movielink include Universal, Warner Bros., Paramount, Fox, Sony and MGM. Talks continue with other studios, Ramo says.

"The smartest people in Hollywood realize that they are not in the movie business; they are in the content business," says Shelly Palmer, author of Television Disrupted: The Transition from Network to Networked TV. "It is their job to listen to their customers and deliver content in form factors that consumers want."

Customers can burn copies to DVD, but the movies, which are in Windows Media format, can't be played on standard DVD players. Downloads can be transferred to up to two PCs. A copy can be transferred to a laptop, but not to an iPod or Sony PSP, though eventually it will be compatible with Microsoft-supported portables.

What the heck good is that if you can't play the dvd in standard players? 2 steps forward---1 step back.

Hey Paul, you need to get out your hi dollar digital projector, hook it up to your computer and set up a big old 10 foot screen in your house and sit back and watch the darn movie and have a beer ! :huh::) ROFLMAO !

Frank....

Hey Paul, you need to get out your hi dollar digital projector, hook it up to your computer and set up a big old 10 foot screen in your house and sit back and watch the darn movie and have a beer ! :D:D ROFLMAO !

Frank....

The only thing 'high dollar' with me is my bills! :):huh:

What the heck good is that if you can't play the dvd in standard players? 2 steps forward---1 step back.

Another push by Microsoft/Intel to make the PC an integral part of the home entertainment unit, music,movies... everything on the PC. But that's just my theory. (Even though it is a conspiracy.) :)

Another push by Microsoft/Intel to make the PC an integral part of the home entertainment unit, music,movies... everything on the PC. But that's just my theory. (Even though it is a conspiracy.) :)

I've noticed a pattern - Microsoft-authoried media files won't play on non-Microsoft-authorized music players.

Why should Microsoft change now?

(The big question will be if Vista is a boom or a thud.)

Lynn

As an upgrade for WinXP, probably a thud. You won't be able to avoid it with a new computer purchase. Like I posted in another thread, I'll be purchasing my next computer just before Vista is released and get a nice Dual Core machine with WinXP cheap. LOL

Well, I build my own computers, so I guess I better go out and purchase another XP O.S. and keep it so when I build another one I will have it instead of Vista. Of course by them most of the mother boards you buy will have some design that is favorable to the Vista O.S. too.

Frank....(Of course I've said that before and always ended up buying the new operating system after a period of frustration) :):D:huh:

Well, I build my own computers, so I guess I better go out and purchase another XP O.S. and keep it so when I build another one I will have it instead of Vista. Of course by them most of the mother boards you buy will have some design that is favorable to the Vista O.S. too.

Frank....(Of course I've said that before and always ended up buying the new operating system after a period of frustration) :):D:D

I sense a conspiricy.

A friend of mine had Win95, and more and more problems. She eventually got a WinXP (for a while before that, she very generously let her husband use the Win95 :D, while she used her laptop from work - which was WinXP).

Now I'm having problems with my Win98 SE - specificly, I've given up after all the "improvements" :huh: on eBay, and once a day I boot the Beast and do eBay - my time there has been reduced by probably 2/3.

Lynn

I'll simply follow the rest of the mindless mucks and sooner or later, get Vista. Personally, I don't care if anyone knows what I'm playing my music on or where I got it. They already know so much about me they're bored to death.

All my movies either are recorded from cable tv, or rented at the store...I don't buy them. Watch 'em once and that's enough. Music I download from either Napster or direct from the artist and they're's always a way around DRM (or there will be).

Still, I am in agreement with the rest of you and your reasons. It's just that I'm tired of dealing with their blocking tactics and in my old age, I give up easy (ask my son!).

Archived