• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Install Changes Drive Letters And Breaks Computer Management Console

sinafoye

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. Every time I install Roxio and reboot, it changes all my drive letters expect C:\ drive, which is no deal, except that it breaks the computer management console (disk management) so I can not change them back (the change button is greyed out). It takes about an hour and a half to restore my Ghost Backup, so I would appreciate and viable help any one can give.

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. Every time I install Roxio and reboot, it changes all my drive letters expect C:\ drive, which is no deal, except that it breaks the computer management console (disk management) so I can not change them back (the change button is greyed out). It takes about an hour and a half to restore my Ghost Backup, so I would appreciate and viable help any one can give.

I take it your different letter drives are logical, rather than physical, drives?

One suggestion is to get EMC 7 or above.

One of the Digital Gurus, Grandpabruce, had the same thing happen, and that's how it was solved.

I installed v.6 on a Win98 SE, 1-Hard-Drive computer ... it was there briefly between ECDC 4 and ECDC 5.

Lynn

I take it your different letter drives are logical, rather than physical, drives?

One suggestion is to get EMC 7 or above.

One of the Digital Gurus, Grandpabruce, had the same thing happen, and that's how it was solved.

I installed v.6 on a Win98 SE, 1-Hard-Drive computer ... it was there briefly between ECDC 4 and ECDC 5.

Lynn

I have 4 hard drives in my computer, each partitioned off, so some are logical and some are physical.

To be honest, I really don't have $80.00 to blow buying a new version of software that worked ok. I only use the udf portion to use my opticals as data backup, so the rest of the "programs" are wasted. Don't they make patches to correct software that breaks the OS?

Prior to this installation, it installed just fine - same OS, same drive config, etc. The only difference is I am now installing it on a partition on an IDE drive, instead of a SATA drive.

Any thoughts?

I have 4 hard drives in my computer, each partitioned off, so some are logical and some are physical.

To be honest, I really don't have $80.00 to blow buying a new version of software that worked ok. I only use the udf portion to use my opticals as data backup, so the rest of the "programs" are wasted. Don't they make patches to correct software that breaks the OS?

Prior to this installation, it installed just fine - same OS, same drive config, etc. The only difference is I am now installing it on a partition on an IDE drive, instead of a SATA drive.

Any thoughts?

If you have been "backing up" to formatted discs, you haven't been making backups at all - Packet-Writing is notoriously fickle, and will refuse to be read for any reason at all, or simply fail. This applies to ALL Packet-Writing programs, including Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc.

Check some of your older discs to see if they still are readable.

In the future, use the built-in WinXP "drag&drop" style burning, which is actually Sessions-based. It doesn't do DVDs, tho.

If you want the other features, you should be able to pick up EMC 7 or 7.5 on eBay or equivilant fairly inexpensively.

Lynn

If you have been "backing up" to formatted discs, you haven't been making backups at all - Packet-Writing is notoriously fickle, and will refuse to be read for any reason at all, or simply fail. This applies to ALL Packet-Writing programs, including Drag2Disc, DirectCD, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc.

Check some of your older discs to see if they still are readable.

In the future, use the built-in WinXP "drag&drop" style burning, which is actually Sessions-based. It doesn't do DVDs, tho.

If you want the other features, you should be able to pick up EMC 7 or 7.5 on eBay or equivilant fairly inexpensively.

Lynn

Lynn:

My backups are between different computers in different locations, so I copy on to DVD+RW media (so I don't have to carry a box of CD+RWs around) to tote between locations (and mail updates to my boss in another town). I don't use them for permanent back ups (that's why I have 4 hard drives in my main computer - 2 are for permanent backups.

I wasn't aware windows had a built-in "drag&drop". Could you tell me a little more about that? Also, (hate to sound dumb) but what is "session-based"? I thought I had read somewhere that past and present versions of Windows didn't do that sort of thing, but Vista would.

Thanks,

Sina

Lynn:

My backups are between different computers in different locations, so I copy on to DVD+RW media (so I don't have to carry a box of CD+RWs around) to tote between locations (and mail updates to my boss in another town). I don't use them for permanent back ups (that's why I have 4 hard drives in my main computer - 2 are for permanent backups.

I wasn't aware windows had a built-in "drag&drop". Could you tell me a little more about that? Also, (hate to sound dumb) but what is "session-based"? I thought I had read somewhere that past and present versions of Windows didn't do that sort of thing, but Vista would.

Thanks,

Sina

Windows XP's drag&drop is actually Sessions, that is, it burns the infomration to the disc, rather than formatting the disc first. Sessions-written discs are far more stable.

However, Windows doesn't do DVDs. I can't speak to Vista, other than it takes more computer than I have any plans to buy.

If you have to use DVD discs, you are going to have to get a program that doesn't interfere with the drive-letters of logical drives.

EMC 7 and EMC 7.5 are two choices, I'm sure there are others.

I am not aware of any other solutions, altho perhaps there are some somewhere out there.

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

Archived