File Size Vs. Dvd Builder Project Size

donaldarrowsmith

Question

I'm new to DVD usage so this might have an obvious answer: I used a WinTV-PVR-USB2 to record 2 1-hour shows with the same settings (DVD Extra Long Play). Both .mpg file sizes on disc are just over 1.6GB. I start a new project in DVD Builder. I add one file and the project size shown in the lower status bar says the project size is slightly larger than 1.6GB. If I remove that file and add the second file, the project size now says 4.2+GB!!! I look at the Properties of each file in the Production Editor section of the screen and they both say the same things in the file settings and video settings (with only a very slight variation in frame count, length and file size fields). Why does the project size change so much? I would like to put both of these on one 4.7GB DVD if possible.

Thanks,

Don

1 answer to this question

I'm new to DVD usage so this might have an obvious answer: I used a WinTV-PVR-USB2 to record 2 1-hour shows with the same settings (DVD Extra Long Play). Both .mpg file sizes on disc are just over 1.6GB. I start a new project in DVD Builder. I add one file and the project size shown in the lower status bar says the project size is slightly larger than 1.6GB. If I remove that file and add the second file, the project size now says 4.2+GB!!! I look at the Properties of each file in the Production Editor section of the screen and they both say the same things in the file settings and video settings (with only a very slight variation in frame count, length and file size fields). Why does the project size change so much? I would like to put both of these on one 4.7GB DVD if possible.

Thanks,

Don

My opinion is if you have 7.1 or 7.5, record at best quality, burn your project to a dvd no matter what size it says and then burn the ISO to dvd with Disc Copier which will transcode to disc at best possible quality.

I'm not sure what the settings are for ELP but it's obviously not dvd ready so it's encoding it to dvd compliant format.

Archived