Media Manager Hangs System

widgeonjim

Question

I'm new to this forum and frustrated greatly by Roxio's lack of support. I have a PC running XP which is now popping up a message "please wait while Windows configures Roxio Media Manager." I have no idea what Roxio Media Manager is or how it got onto my system and hangs my startup.

Worse yet, the message pops up periodically and I have to go the Task Manager to kill it. The cancel button doesn't cancel. How do I rid myself of this frustration?

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

8 answers to this question

I've tried to delete the Roxio/Sonic programs with both Control Panel and Windows INstaller Cleanup - I get a message that another installation is in process and I need to finish that install first. Evidently, that has something to do with the constant popups of "windows installer" and "configuring Roxio Media Manager". The only way I can stop the popups is with Task Manager, not the cancel button, but then they come back after about 1-2 minutes.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do that. What is the process - step by step?

TIA.

Click on the Start button, like you were going to shut down your computer. Click on Run, then type msconfig in the text box, and click ok. When the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tap, and uncheck anything to do with Roxio.

Click Apply, click ok, then reboot your computer. In the screen that pops up, when Windows starts, put a check in the box, in the lower left part of the screen, so you won't see it the next time you startup your computer.

Click on the Start button, like you were going to shut down your computer. Click on Run, then type msconfig in the text box, and click ok. When the next screen comes up, click on the Startup tap, and uncheck anything to do with Roxio.

Click Apply, click ok, then reboot your computer. In the screen that pops up, when Windows starts, put a check in the box, in the lower left part of the screen, so you won't see it the next time you startup your computer.

Thanks much for your assistance. I did as suggested - no luck.

When I boot, I get a popup that says "windows installer - preparing to install..."

it sits there doing nothing. eventually, I click CANCEL

I get a second popup that says "Please wait while windows configures Roxio Media Manager"

if I click CANCEL, nothing happens - does not kill the process.

if I wait, eventually the progress bar shows and colors green 1/2 way thru the bar and hangs there.

eventually another popup says "the utility you want is on a CD..." I don't have a CD, never did. the Roxio application came on the distribution with the computer. I've called the computer company - they said call the software company - i emailed Roxio, no response yet.

eventually, i get a third popup that says "binary formatter version incompatibility - expected version 1.0 received version 16741119.1107294208

when I boot, the system goes thru all the above and then hangs for about 6-7 minutes. if i click on the browser to open it or any other application, it hangs and i'll need to close it with task manager. getting rid of the "Roxio" popup also requires the task mgr.

anything you can suggest is appreciated.

Guess what I just learned. I logged onto Roxio Chat, explained the problem and the lady asked, "do you have a Blackberry?" It appears the Media Manager is embedded in the Blackberry integration software and has corrupted. That's why deleting all the Roxio software didn't work. As soon as I uninstalled the BB software, my computer screamed for joy and is flying once again.

thanks much for your help.

jim

Guess what I just learned. I logged onto Roxio Chat, explained the problem and the lady asked, "do you have a Blackberry?" It appears the Media Manager is embedded in the Blackberry integration software and has corrupted. That's why deleting all the Roxio software didn't work. As soon as I uninstalled the BB software, my computer screamed for joy and is flying once again.

thanks much for your help.

jim

You would have gotten different advice, here on the boards, had you mentioned that your software was from Blackberry!!!!! I would have told you to uninstall the BB software.

I'm new to this forum and frustrated greatly by Roxio's lack of support. I have a PC running XP which is now popping up a message "please wait while Windows configures Roxio Media Manager." I have no idea what Roxio Media Manager is or how it got onto my system and hangs my startup.

Worse yet, the message pops up periodically and I have to go the Task Manager to kill it. The cancel button doesn't cancel. How do I rid myself of this frustration?

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Media Manager is part of EMC 10. Try disabling RoxWatch, via msconfig. Reboot, and see if you have the same problem. If you do, then follow ALL instructions in the Clean Install.

If you have XP, follow this:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

Archived