• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Spanned Datasets Make Many Coasters At Once

Ed Stoessel

Question

When I first installed Toast 9, I was successful on the first try making a spanned dataset that filled 4 DVDs. It was a mixture of various size files, including one that was over 9 GB. GREAT! I tried a similar thing yesterday with disastrous results.

I am trying to archive Retrospect backup sets that range in size between 2.5 and 5.5 GB. Toast 9 seems to have no problem writing a disk. Then, when it goes into the verification mode, it takes about an hour, then fails to verify at about 99 percent complete. Thinking it might be the verification process and hoping that the DVDs were actually OK, I tried to create an archive without verifying. Then I tried to restore the spanned data. After a LONG time waiting at the 20 percent stage, I got a file system error reported. I have tried this with no other processes running (even shut down my email). No luck.

Next, I tried to see what would happen if I used the Finder's Burn Folder method. That worked perfectly and did not take long to burn and verify! The problem with this solution is, of course, it won't help me with files that will span more than one DVD.

If anyone has any idea of what I might do to have a success with this, I sure would appreciate ideas.

Mac dual G5 2.0 GHz, original Pioneer drive, OS X 10.4.11, Toast 9.0.2, Apple says my firmware for the Pioneer is up-to-date.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived