How Do I Get 5 Hours On A Dvd

mrpcrook

Question

Hi

I have recorded 5 episodes of a tv program (Planet Earth 1hr each) and I want to put them all on one DVD.

A cheap DVD recorder can do this but I can Not get My DVD to do it even thou it is set up on Fit to disc.

Wheather I use a single or dual layer disc My DVD can not fit it on, still shows I am in the red.

Anyone suggest a way I can get these all on one DVD

3 answers to this question

Hi

I have recorded 5 episodes of a tv program (Planet Earth 1hr each) and I want to put them all on one DVD.

A cheap DVD recorder can do this but I can Not get My DVD to do it even thou it is set up on Fit to disc.

Wheather I use a single or dual layer disc My DVD can not fit it on, still shows I am in the red.

Anyone suggest a way I can get these all on one DVD

If you say that your DVD recorder can do it, use that. You may be able to convert to DIVX (I think), and get 5 hours on one DVD, but since DVD media is cheap, it makes no sense to me to try.

How much video that can get on one disc depends on two things: resolution and bitrate (compression). For the BEST quality any software of hardware can do is only one hour. Once you pass that, the quality must suffer. I have a 6hr mode on my Liteon set top recorder, but I certainly wouldn't want to keep anything that was recorded. It uses MPEG1 encoding at 320X240@1.5Mbps with low quality audio, too. The lowest bitrate that MyDVD can do is only 4.5Mbps.

I think the most MyDVD can do would be about 3 hours at its lowest setting.

One thing we used to use in V7, create your MyDVD project with all 5 files. Set it for dual layer 8.5 and then have MyDVD burn that to an ISO or video folder. Then use Disc Copier to shrink it to fit a single layer disc.

You can get 4 hours of decent video on a dual layer disc....you don't list your specs so I don't know if you have a dual layer burner....that's just another option.

I agree with Bruce. Media is cheap so I'd suggest going for the better quality.

Archived