• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capturing All Scenes From Tape With Blank Sections/skips

noleveyor

Question

I am downloading/importing Movies to my PC (WIndows XP) from our Sony HDR-HC1 camcorder using Roxio Easy Media Creator 10s Media Import utility connected via firewire. My problem comes when importing movies where the tape was forwarded more than a few seconds beyond the end of the last scene. Using Capture Entire Tape setting the program times out before reaching the next scene so it never imports. Using the Smart Scan feature I am unable to import more than one scene at a time. A real pain when my daughter LOVEs recording 10 second scenes. I also tried setting the capture length to 60 minutes planning to just edit the file after importing. That did not solve the timeout problem either.

Tapes where there is no delay between scenes work just fine.

ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

My problem comes when importing movies where the tape was forwarded more than a few seconds beyond the end of the last scene.
A habit from the old analog days that is no longer needed in the digital era. As James points out, the software will recognize 'blank tape' as 'end of tape' and stop capturing. This isn't something unique to EMC, but most software that I have ever used for capturing does the same thing. Digital tape has a time code that is used for scene detection so forwarding just isn't necessary.

For any future taping, don't forward between takes. In fact, my Sony digital 8mm camcorder backs the tape just a hair to ensure there is no blank tape and it has a feature to roll the tape back when you insert a used tape so you can position the tape correctly.

Unfortunately since you already have the gaps, you will have to forward the tape and start the capture again. No way around that as far as I know.

Most Sony camcorders have an 'End search' function. I'm not sure if that's the right term, but it's purpose is to find where you stopped taping so that you can continue from that point and not have a blue screen which will stop computer capture.

Of course, it doesn't work if you've removed the tape so you'll have to find the end of the tape manually if you take the tape out of the camcorder.

Archived