• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

7.5 Install Nightmare

golinux

Question

This day has been a nightmare. As some of you may remember, I had purchased EMC 8 but wasn't satisfied with the time it took to import video. So I got a new boxed copy of EMC 7.5.

Problem is, some functions - most importantly the video editing stuff - aren't launching. Initially, I wanted to run 7.5 alongside 8 to compare them. It didn't work. I have done several system restores, restored several Acronis images, uninstalled v. 6 and tried installing 7.5. Nothing can get this program to work correctly! There are no error messages. it's just dead in the water.

To refresh your memory on my system specs:

XP Pro, 1GB RAM, P4 2.8Ghz, Asus P4800SE, NVidia GeForce MX 4000 and plenty of disk space

Any ideas?

19 answers to this question

Well, sisterscape, my issues are not as bad as yours have been. The installation cd for EMC 7.5 that came bundled with a burner installs fine. However, my system registry is sent to heck and gone sometimes. After 3 days I found 2 Invalid Active X/COM entries using WinDoctor (the entries could not be repaired by WinDoctor so I manually opened the registry and did a search for the strings. Not found! Since the strings are identical I must assume one is a high key and the other is a low key. And, that is the extent of my ability to repair the registry short of uninstalling ECM 7.5, which I did many times. The entries always appear.

Roxanne was no help and would not even allow me to esculate to her "Human Collegue". Therefore I will delete Roxio forthwith (have used Roxio for many years now) and buy another program. I have never dealt before :) with the difficulty that Roxio puts to you when you need help with THEIR PRODUCT!

Happy Burning folks!

Actually, you don't know what the burner manufacturer did to modify the software. They are the ones that you need to go to for support of your version. Roxio never released a "basic version" of EMC 7 or EMC 7.5, and that is what you have.

Well, sisterscape, my issues are not as bad as yours have been. The installation cd for EMC 7.5 that came bundled with a burner installs fine. However, my system registry is sent to heck and gone sometimes. After 3 days I found 2 Invalid Active X/COM entries using WinDoctor (the entries could not be repaired by WinDoctor so I manually opened the registry and did a search for the strings. Not found! Since the strings are identical I must assume one is a high key and the other is a low key. And, that is the extent of my ability to repair the registry short of uninstalling ECM 7.5, which I did many times. The entries always appear.

Roxanne was no help and would not even allow me to esculate to her "Human Collegue". Therefore I will delete Roxio forthwith (have used Roxio for many years now) and buy another program. I have never dealt before :) with the difficulty that Roxio puts to you when you need help with THEIR PRODUCT!

Happy Burning folks!

To add to what Bruce has already said..... the following is a short explanation of OEM software (which is what you have).

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell preinstalled on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum eddition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the preinstalled software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners. (this is what you have)

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

Likewise, ALL support comes from your OEM provider and not from Roxio. Contact your OEM provider and see what they have to say.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I uninstalled and rebooted but no joy.

I have been using RegClean.exe for years with no problem. It came highly recommended and has not disappointed.

Everything installs and I can launch the GUIs except for:

1. Import Photos - Loading message appears then disappears without launching.

2. Capture Video - ditto

3. Plug and Burn - ditto

4. VideoWave - No loading message. No nothing. Dead in the water.

Also when I try to launch VW, it appears in Task Manager Process but not in Applications. Also I cannot terminate the process. No matter how many times I click End Task, it just hangs there.

There are no error messages.

I would never attempt anything like this without having a recent disk image to restore and I have had to do so many times during this ordeal.

The install results have not changed since the first time I tried. That was just a straight install without using any of the "tricks" mentioned in this forum. So I don't think roxizap.exe or registry cleaners are the cause of the problems.

I no doubt believe you that your problems arose long before these cleaners and whatnot got used. It's just that sometimes you don't know who you're talking to and they can cause other problems and you can then never solve the original.

I can only think of one tip at the moment and mention it with a big degree of doubt. First, you seem smart enough by what you've done to try disabling any antivirus program you may have and second, I don't think anyone out there (by what I've read) has encountered this problem. The problem is, if you have NortonAntivirus 2006, I and friends have noticed it can be intrusive. I do photoshop work and haven't had problems with it (but did with VW7), but a friend who does CAD/CAM work has actually had to turn it off while he works (off line of course). NAV and his CAD program cannot get along and play well together. You may not even be using it and now I might find people telling me I'm full of hogwash but I only mention it because I had similar problems to the Task Manager incidents you listed. I never had any problems with VW7 until the day I upgraded from NAV2004 to 2006. Sometimes it doesn't pay to upgrade I guess.

Good luck and hopefully someone smarter than me out there (there are lots of them) can one day get you out of your mess.

I no doubt believe you that your problems arose long before these cleaners and whatnot got used. It's just that sometimes you don't know who you're talking to and they can cause other problems and you can then never solve the original.

I can only think of one tip at the moment and mention it with a big degree of doubt. First, you seem smart enough by what you've done to try disabling any antivirus program you may have and second, I don't think anyone out there (by what I've read) has encountered this problem. The problem is, if you have NortonAntivirus 2006, I and friends have noticed it can be intrusive. I do photoshop work and haven't had problems with it (but did with VW7), but a friend who does CAD/CAM work has actually had to turn it off while he works (off line of course). NAV and his CAD program cannot get along and play well together. You may not even be using it and now I might find people telling me I'm full of hogwash but I only mention it because I had similar problems to the Task Manager incidents you listed. I never had any problems with VW7 until the day I upgraded from NAV2004 to 2006. Sometimes it doesn't pay to upgrade I guess.

Good luck and hopefully someone smarter than me out there (there are lots of them) can one day get you out of your mess.

Again, thanks for you input. First off, I would NEVER use Norton. :) Have been happily running AVG for years. Turning it off has no effect on VideoWave. I have been in touch with e-mail support and tried a number of other fixes but to no avail:

1. Running regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO360.DLL"
  2. Checking permissions at HKEY_Current_User\Software\Roxio
  3. Removing the existing Media Manager database

Next suggestion is to re-create the Upper and Lower filters in the registry to fix the drive problem. Not my favorite thing to do but if it fails I can always go back to one of those trusty disk images.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP??

It would probably pay you to clean ALL traces of Roxio out of your sytem and start from scratch.

Go into your add/remove programs in the Control Panel and remove any Roxio programs.

Then run this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301 .

In case there is anything left over run this a couple of times http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe (this is Roxio's zap program )

Then re-install whichever version you decide on.

It would probably pay you to clean ALL traces of Roxio out of your sytem and start from scratch.

Go into your add/remove programs in the Control Panel and remove any Roxio programs.

Then run this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301 .

In case there is anything left over run this a couple of times http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe (this is Roxio's zap program )

Then re-install whichever version you decide on.

Already did all that as per this thread - http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4115

Here's the list of things I did:

1. Uninstalled previous versions (6 and 8) via the control panel
  2. Ran the Windows Cleanup Utility (no Roxio/Sonic entries were to be found)
  3. Ran roxizap.exe
  4. Ran registry cleaner several times
  5. Searched for and deleted Roxio/Sonic files and folders
  6. Disabled all questionable startup items (firewall, antivirus ets) in msconfig
  7. Copied disk to harddrive and installed from there

I'm stumped. Any other ideas?

A bit of good news . . . I finally got the drives back by running Update PX Engine (re-creating the Upper and Lower filters didn't work).

BUT I STILL CAN'T LAUNCH VIDEOWAVE OR A FEW OTHER PARTS OF EMC!!! AAARRRGGGH!!!!!

At least some progress was made . . .

This day has been a nightmare. As some of you may remember, I had purchased EMC 8 but wasn't satisfied with the time it took to import video. So I got a new boxed copy of EMC 7.5.

Problem is, some functions - most importantly the video editing stuff - aren't launching. Initially, I wanted to run 7.5 alongside 8 to compare them. It didn't work. I have done several system restores, restored several Acronis images, uninstalled v. 6 and tried installing 7.5. Nothing can get this program to work correctly! There are no error messages. it's just dead in the water.

To refresh your memory on my system specs:

XP Pro, 1GB RAM, P4 2.8Ghz, Asus P4800SE, NVidia GeForce MX 4000 and plenty of disk space

Any ideas?

Try using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to get rid of all Roxio and Sonic files on your computer, reboot, then try to reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

In device manager...try unintalling the device, then reboot. Windows should boot up and give it a default driver when it "finds" the device.

As for uninstalling and cleaning all things roxio from your harddrive...I noticed you mentioned a registry cleaner. Was this an actual cleaner or just the windows uninstall utility? Well, if not, I'd recommend Amust.

You can find a link to it on the windows marketplace free downloads hub. It's fully funtional and free to use for thirty days and seems to do a good job.

I didn't quite catch if you're at the point now where you can't install or if you've installed and nothing works.

Please note that I am not saying the programs suggested to run are bad, but a lot of the programs that have been suggested should be done with the knowledge of what the end result will be (i.e loosing hardware drivers etc.). My guess is that most users do not have any knowledge of the final results of what happens when these types of programs are run. Especially Roxiozap or some types of registry cleaners.

Frank....

Try using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to get rid of all Roxio and Sonic files on your computer, reboot, then try to reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

I looked at the readme for the Cleanup Utility but am still unsure whether I should unstall my Roxio programs before running it. Sorry to be so dense.

OK, I uninstalled and there were no Roxio or Sonic entries in the Cleanup Utility options. I did a system restore before I the time I installed EMC 8 and even that didn't let me install 7.5. Each install went a little differently even when the options chosen were the same. I'm beginning to think the disk might be bad. I have spent all day on this and am not a happy camper . . .

Redwagon is absolutely right. I don't mean to suggest anything, merely to offer options. Any program that "cleans" your registry or harddrive should be used with caution and as a last resort. Unfortunately for reasons unknown, many people surfing this forum are at the last resort stage. Backing up is never a bad idea before attempting changes to your computer innards.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In device manager...try unintalling the device, then reboot. Windows should boot up and give it a default driver when it "finds" the device.
I uninstalled and rebooted but no joy.

As for uninstalling and cleaning all things roxio from your harddrive...I noticed you mentioned a registry cleaner. Was this an actual cleaner or just the windows uninstall utility?
I have been using RegClean.exe for years with no problem. It came highly recommended and has not disappointed.

I didn't quite catch if you're at the point now where you can't install or if you've installed and nothing works.
Everything installs and I can launch the GUIs except for:

1. Import Photos - Loading message appears then disappears without launching.

2. Capture Video - ditto

3. Plug and Burn - ditto

4. VideoWave - No loading message. No nothing. Dead in the water.

Also when I try to launch VW, it appears in Task Manager Process but not in Applications. Also I cannot terminate the process. No matter how many times I click End Task, it just hangs there.

There are no error messages.

Unfortunately for reasons unknown, many people surfing this forum are at the last resort stage. Backing up is never a bad idea before attempting changes to your computer innards.
I would never attempt anything like this without having a recent disk image to restore and I have had to do so many times during this ordeal.

The install results have not changed since the first time I tried. That was just a straight install without using any of the "tricks" mentioned in this forum. So I don't think roxizap.exe or registry cleaners are the cause of the problems.

Ha! You folks think I havn't already called them? They claim the issue is above their support limits. I know you guys mean well; however, the software is Roxio and Roxio sold it to MadDog. I am not a rank amateur with computer issues but I am not trained to go deeper into the software issue. I do appreciate your replies and maybe one day the software peeps will get together and make sure things work right before any modifications are done, if any, by the OEM folks. One thing would have convinced me to purchase Roxio 8 and that is if I could have reached a live person. That alone is priceless. Seems Roxio is going the way of most big corps now, to the dogs when i comes to helping customers. Thank you for these posts. :-)

Jackie

OMG, it's a freakin' miracle! I don't know what happened but after opening Media Manager things suddenly started to work! I can now open and edit video in Video Wave and CinePlayer (which was throwing up an message about CinePlayer decoders have not yet being activated) is working too. I'm almost afraid to reboot because who knows what might happen then . . .

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and held my hand through these very trying past few days.

BTW, from my limited experience with EMC 7.5, I find it much faster than EMC 8 - the captures seem to take a fraction of the time. I'm glad I made the switch even though it's been a HUGE headache.

OK, I uninstalled and there were no Roxio or Sonic entries in the Cleanup Utility options. I did a system restore before I the time I installed EMC 8 and even that didn't let me install 7.5. Each install went a little differently even when the options chosen were the same. I'm beginning to think the disk might be bad. I have spent all day on this and am not a happy camper . . .
Can anyone PLEASE HELP??

Happy Burning folks!

Archived