Cannot Find Codec

rich_k

Question

Good day - I hope you can help me.

My laptop had Sonic MyDVD 5.0 pre-installed on it when purchased 4 years ago. It worked fine, except it did not recognize a new dual layer dvd burner I recently purchased. So, I invested in EMC10 and installed the new software. No problems were encountered with the install, and it seemed to work so-so (encountered hang ups routinely, but I did get it to work somewhat).

Not related to that install, I installed CCleaner to clean up registry files, only to discover afterwards several programs misbehaved. I restored the changes made by CCleaner (at leawst, the program said the changes were reverted).

After encountering issues with errors creating sub menus with MyDVD, I started reading up on this forum and discovered how complex issues with this suite can be, including problems created with registry cleaners. So... I elected to perform a clean install as per posted instructions. Durig the cleanup, I also uninstalled the older Sonic version 5 program.

Prior to this clean install, EMC10 recognized mpgs and all components semed to work with respect to importing and processing video file types. Now, after the clean install, I receive the following messages when I try to use CinePlayer or MyDVD (have not tried any other programs in the suite).

"One or more codecs required to play this file is not installed. Install the proper codec to play the file".

The Roxio decoder pack is installed according to the control panel.

PC details:

Dell Inspiron 5100

2.6 GHZ

384 megs RAM

Windows XP home w/ service pack 2 and all the latest window updates

Latest DivX

12gigs free disk space

I appreciate any advice you can give. Unfortunately, I have invested way too many hours with this program and am quite close to pulling the plug (and reverting back to Sonic MyDVD 5.0 and RecordNow 6.5 that was supplied with my PC).

10 answers to this question

"One or more codecs required to play this file is not installed. Install the proper codec to play the file".

have a look here..

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/

Good luck

:)

If I double click on any of my mpgs from windows explorer, windows media player operns and the files play fine. Additionally, windows moviemaker recognizes all of these mpgs and allows them to be used. based on this info, it appears the proper codecs are installed and available on my PC. Its seems Roxio is the only program that is having the problem.

If I double click on any of my mpgs from windows explorer, windows media player operns and the files play fine. Additionally, windows moviemaker recognizes all of these mpgs and allows them to be used. based on this info, it appears the proper codecs are installed and available on my PC. Its seems Roxio is the only program that is having the problem.

Which player do you have...

Windows Media Player 11 is designed to work with all editions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),

and can also be used to restore Windows Media Player and related technologies to N and KN editions of Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

Which player do you have...

Windows Media Player 11 is designed to work with all editions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),

and can also be used to restore Windows Media Player and related technologies to N and KN editions of Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

Thanks for your interest in my problem. I have media player ver 11.0.5721.5230 running on windows xp home edition. The windows media player seems to be operating without issues.

Ijar - please get your facts straight. WMP11 was NOT designed for XP, it was designed for Vista and was backported to XP.

Both that and IE7 have caused more problems (mainly with earlier Roxio programs among others) than I care to think about.

Rich - Can you roll back to WMP10? The reason I ask is that WMP11 has far tighter DRM control than previous versions and there is a possibility that is the root cause of your problem. While it's not common for WMP11 or IE7 to affect EMC9, there have been some instances where it did

hey gi7omy..

I am no genius but I was just trying to help..

sorry if I have upset you..

no bad feelings..cool

As long as OP got it sorted.... :lol:

Ijar - please get your facts straight. WMP11 was NOT designed for XP, it was designed for Vista and was backported to XP.

Both that and IE7 have caused more problems (mainly with earlier Roxio programs among others) than I care to think about.

Rich - Can you roll back to WMP10? The reason I ask is that WMP11 has far tighter DRM control than previous versions and there is a possibility that is the root cause of your problem. While it's not common for WMP11 or IE7 to affect EMC9, there have been some instances where it did

I performed another clean install and now the codecs work. Thanks for your help.

Glad you got it sorted - clean installs are not for the faint-hearted ;)

Lets see if I can get the sub menus to work now and create dvd folders without the dreaded error at 99.9% of the way through the generation, like I was getting before.

Hopefully, I won't be pleading for more help!!

Thanks again.

Yo gi7omy..pleased you got it sorted..

See I have said it before..and I'll say it again..

You learn someyhing new everyday..

Well done rich_k...and thanks gi7omy :D

celebrate0.gif

Archived