• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag 2 Disk And Vista

885WHITE

Question

I installed Creator 9 then did the update to 9.1 for Vista, (as with 9, Vista kept blocking the program due to compatibility). Since the update to 9.1, I don't get that message any more. I also installed the pxengine4 per Live Chat directions. I did a clean install of the 9.0 and the 9.1 update. My problem is that Drag-2-Disk goes to my D: Recovery Hard Drive rather than my E: (TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device). The rest of Creator recognizes this E drive and functions well. There is not a place in the D2D menu that lets me chose my recorder. Also I tried updating my hardward for the DVD+-RW drive and Vista keeps saying that the newest driver is already intalled. I do realize that Vista comes installed with a program to drag and drop, but it doesn't read my Drag 2 Disk files that have previously been recorded, so I can't access the info on those CDS or DVDs.

Can anyone help me?

12 answers to this question

Have you tried the D2D menu?

It's the icon the looks like a printed page at the top right corner of the large Drag-to-Disc icon, or if you've hidden that item, try Alt-M to display the menu.

post-208-1217632992.jpg

See, it shows the item "Choose Recorder" [Alt-C] and on selecting that you get to choose between your various recorders. Can you not get to this menu, or does it not show the proper recorder choices when you do get there?

One other thing, perhaps. In My Computer, when you right-click on your burner drive does the context menu show 'Enable Drag-to-Disc' or 'Disable Drag-to-Disc' where mine says 'Disable . . . " in this clip ??

post-208-1217633676.jpg

I don't understand why Vista won't read your previously recorded D2D files. A clean Vista install on my machine will read discs from all versions of Direct CD or D2D, and that didn't change when I installed D2D in there as well.

Regards,

Brendon

In the menu on Drag 2 Disk it all looks the same as you have shown, except that I do not have the "choose recorder" listed after eject, so I can't choose the E drive over the D hard drive. I still think it has something to do with Vista rather than Drag 2 Disk but as I stated before neither Microsoft, Dell or Roxio have figured out what is wrong. These are all CDRW disks that were made in Drag 2 Disk but not colsed as I wanted to add more to them. I'll be able to close them when I get home in the fall on my desktop machine, which with XP on it runs all my programs correctly.

Thanks for replying

Sorry I forgot to address you idea about the "E" drive in Computer. When I right click it it does not mention Drag 2 Disk at all.

Thansk again for trying to help me.

I can't work out why your system can't find gpedit.msc which Firenhancer was suggesting you use to disable the Vista burning system. It should be in there, unless you have something set to hide system files in Vista.

Your report that D2D is pointed at your recovery drive instead of your burner suggests that there was a tangle during the install. If Vista kept blocking things, that's when this might have happened. My screen clips were my version 9 in Vista, so mine went okay.

You have a Dell computer ? I'm on a different system at the moment, but I seem to remember that EMC 9 lists D2D separately in Programs and Features, so I suggest you try this: it certainly can't hurt and it may just fix your problem so it's worth trying. It won't take very long to do.

(1) Uninstall D2D through the Programs and Features menu in Control Panel. Then Reboot the computer.

(2) Download and apply the "For Dell Customers" DLA patch which is offered in John at Roxio's pinned post "DLA Driver Blocked on Vista" at the top of this forum page. The link is where he says "Click here for the patch", 4th line from the bottom of the message.

Regards,

Brendon

I have already tried your suggestions about 4 times now doing a clean install as perviously mentioned. and yes I have a Dell. I did go into into folder options when I first bought this Dell so that I would be able to view all the files. When I search for gpedit.msc or try it in "run" I get no results.

Thank you for your interest in helping me.

I can't work out why your system can't find gpedit.msc which Firenhancer was suggesting you use to disable the Vista burning system. It should be in there, unless you have something set to hide system files in Vista.

Your report that D2D is pointed at your recovery drive instead of your burner suggests that there was a tangle during the install. If Vista kept blocking things, that's when this might have happened. My screen clips were my version 9 in Vista, so mine went okay.

You have a Dell computer ? I'm on a different system at the moment, but I seem to remember that EMC 9 lists D2D separately in Programs and Features, so I suggest you try this: it certainly can't hurt and it may just fix your problem so it's worth trying. It won't take very long to do.

(1) Uninstall D2D through the Programs and Features menu in Control Panel. Then Reboot the computer.

(2) Download and apply the "For Dell Customers" DLA patch which is offered in John at Roxio's pinned post "DLA Driver Blocked on Vista" at the top of this forum page. The link is where he says "Click here for the patch", 4th line from the bottom of the message.

Regards,

Brendon

I have already tried your suggestions about 4 times now doing a clean install as perviously mentioned. and yes I have a Dell. I did go into into folder options when I first bought this Dell so that I would be able to view all the files. When I search for gpedit.msc or try it in "run" I get no results.

Thank you for your interest in helping me.

Regards,

Brendon

I installed Creator 9 then did the update to 9.1 for Vista, (as with 9, Vista kept blocking the program due to compatibility). Since the update to 9.1, I don't get that message any more. I also installed the pxengine4 per Live Chat directions. I did a clean install of the 9.0 and the 9.1 update. My problem is that Drag-2-Disk goes to my D: Recovery Hard Drive rather than my E: (TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device). The rest of Creator recognizes this E drive and functions well. There is not a place in the D2D menu that lets me chose my recorder. Also I tried updating my hardward for the DVD+-RW drive and Vista keeps saying that the newest driver is already intalled. I do realize that Vista comes installed with a program to drag and drop, but it doesn't read my Drag 2 Disk files that have previously been recorded, so I can't access the info on those CDS or DVDs.

Can anyone help me?

Try what firenhancer said to do, but you are far better off forgetting about using any packet writing software. You are playing Russian Roulette, if you do use it. Use Creator Classic, a program in the suite, instead. No need to format the disc, and the burned disc can be read in any computer.

When doing clean install, did you also remove/uninstall D2D? I suggest give Clean install one more go ensuring you have also removed D2D.

Yes, In fact I followed Roxio's instruction to the letter. I have now redone everything three times and the Drag 2 Disc still shows my "D" drive rather than the "E" burner drive. I think it has something to do with the burner program built into Vista, controlling the "E" drive by default, but I have not found a resolution to this on Roxio, Sonic, Dell or Vista support pages. I guess I will just have to wait till I am home again and use my XP desktop to close these disks so I can read them in the laptop. Then I will no londer use Drag 2 Disc.

Thanks for your reply and if you think of anything please let me know.

Nowhere have you previously said you have downloaded and installed the "For Dell Customers" DLA patch. It's the 15.8 MB one I'm referring to, d2d3290.exe.

Have you uninstalled D2D and then installed that d2d3290.exe patch?

Brendon

For a test try disabling CD Recording feature in Vista to exclude Vista burning out of equation.

- Click on Start/Run

- Type "gpedit.msc"

- On the left pane, locate User configuration

- Locate "Remove CD burning features" under \Windows Components\Windows Explorer

- Choose to Enable and Apply.

- Preferably reboot the system and see if that makes a difference.

Have you tried the D2D menu?

It's the icon the looks like a printed page at the top right corner of the large Drag-to-Disc icon, or if you've hidden that item, try Alt-M to display the menu.

post-208-1217632992.jpg

See, it shows the item "Choose Recorder" [Alt-C] and on selecting that you get to choose between your various recorders. Can you not get to this menu, or does it not show the proper recorder choices when you do get there?

One other thing, perhaps. In My Computer, when you right-click on your burner drive does the context menu show 'Enable Drag-to-Disc' or 'Disable Drag-to-Disc' where mine says 'Disable . . . " in this clip ??

post-208-1217633676.jpg

I don't understand why Vista won't read your previously recorded D2D files. A clean Vista install on my machine will read discs from all versions of Direct CD or D2D, and that didn't change when I installed D2D in there as well.

Regards,

Brendon

For a test try disabling CD Recording feature in Vista to exclude Vista burning out of equation.

- Click on Start/Run

- Type "gpedit.msc"

- On the left pane, locate User configuration

- Locate "Remove CD burning features" under \Windows Components\Windows Explorer

- Choose to Enable and Apply.

- Preferably reboot the system and see if that makes a difference.

I did as you said and; gpedit.msc, could not be found.

Than you for replying

Nowhere have you previously said you have downloaded and installed the "For Dell Customers" DLA patch. It's the 15.8 MB one I'm referring to, d2d3290.exe.

Have you uninstalled D2D and then installed that d2d3290.exe patch?

Brendon

I did that in all my reinstalls. Thank you again

Archived