Misc Questions On Videowave 10

rutica

Question

You guys are so smart and helpful, I thought I could ask more than one question if that is okay...

I am using VideoWave 10.

--I have Easy Media Creator 10. I also still have 7.5 installed on my computer. I find that 10 is a lot slower than 7.5 was. Even something simple like deleting the words 'type your text here' in the text editor is slow. I get an hourglass each time I hit the delete key--letter by letter. All other editing tasks also seem slow. Should I uninstall 7.5? Will that speed things up?

--Selecting the 'type your text here' is difficult. The first or last letter always seems hard to capture in the selection. Is it just me?

--I am creating a video for my parent's 50th anniversary. It's about 15 minutes long. I am going to play the video at a party and would like to leave the video playing throughout the party. Can I loop it? Would I use MyDVD?

--Is there a way to slice and stitch parts of a video clip? Let's say you like a part in the beginning, then a part in the middle and a part at the end. With Trimmer, it seems you can only set the start and the end. Would I have to drag another copy of the same clip in another slide in order to extract other parts?

--I have a wmv that is only a few seconds long. I added text to that slide. After the wmv ends, can I keep the text shown on the screen for a few seconds longer even if the wmv has ended?

thanks in advance!!

12 answers to this question

... also note that the Celeron CPU is not great for video editing. It will be much slower than other type CPUs. It works but just not very fast.

Make sure you have nothing else needed when you are doing any video editing -- after you disconnected from the internet, shut off your anti-virus and anti-malware as well as any other open programs.

If you are interested here is a general comparison. Note, I don't know how old the comparison is.

... also note that the Celeron CPU is not great for video editing. It will be much slower than other type CPUs. It works but just not very fast.

In my experience, it makes quite a difference.

Got my mom an used 1.7GHz Celeron to burn VCDs with the N software from MPEG1 files I converted using another software. It took quite some time after I drag the file for the software to import the file for me to start burning. After a couple weeks, I got a second hand P4 1.4Ghz from a friend. Switch it for my mom and it took about 1/5 of the time to import the file.

I would think there is a more significant difference when doing video editing.

I'm still having trouble with the slowness. I timed some things today:

Deleting 10 letters from a text box took 52 seconds.

Saving the presentation took 22 secs

Copying one transition from one slide onto another took 13 secs

Dragging a slide from one position to another took 15 secs.

Undoing the action above took 13 secs.

I shut down the Watch Tray. (I guess I did-I don't see it in the system tray anymore...)

I ran the Graphics test in Tools, Options and I'm at Software. (at Hardware, it was even slower!).

I defragged and ran a program called Window Washer that removes temp files.

Any other ideas how to speed things up? Should it be this slow?

Another question, I found this cool website where you can put your face on a moving cartoon and also add text. The result is a Flash animation. Is there any way to save the flash animation to put in my presentation?

The website is: cartoonmagic.com

thanks,

thanks for the advice. i tried to clean up my hard drive and I deleted old files. i now have 40 GB free space.

i also run a program daily called Windows Washer to delete the recycle bin and temp files. i turned off my router and disabled McAfee. i haven't noticed too much of an increase though...

i guess it's a good excuse to upgrade my computer!

i used to use roxio 7.5 and it was much faster. oh well. thanks for the tips.

by the way, will updating my video card driver help?

--I have Easy Media Creator 10. I also still have 7.5 installed on my computer. I find that 10 is a lot slower than 7.5 was. Even something simple like deleting the words 'type your text here' in the text editor is slow. I get an hourglass each time I hit the delete key--letter by letter. All other editing tasks also seem slow. Should I uninstall 7.5? Will that speed things up?

I don't notice any slowness with the EMC 10 text editor. Have you shut down the RoxioWatchTray? That will certainly slow down your system since it continuously watches for media files. Uninstalling EMC 7.5 will have no effect

--Selecting the 'type your text here' is difficult. The first or last letter always seems hard to capture in the selection. Is it just me?

I agree with you that the "text selection" is difficult. There seems to be some poor programming in there. I have found that using the arrow keys works better then the mouse

--I am creating a video for my parent's 50th anniversary. It's about 15 minutes long. I am going to play the video at a party and would like to leave the video playing throughout the party. Can I loop it? Would I use MyDVD?

Do you want to play the video from a DVD over a TV or play it on the computer? If on the computer you can create the video using Videowave and output to a best quality mpg and the use a software player to play the video. The software player should have an option to "repeat" the video. If you want to create a DVD then you have to use myDVD

--Is there a way to slice and stitch parts of a video clip? Let's say you like a part in the beginning, then a part in the middle and a part at the end. With Trimmer, it seems you can only set the start and the end. Would I have to drag another copy of the same clip in another slide in order to extract other parts?

You can easily delete internal section from your video. Read through the Tips & Tricks forum, there is a good explanation on how to do this

--I have a wmv that is only a few seconds long. I added text to that slide. After the wmv ends, can I keep the text shown on the screen for a few seconds longer even if the wmv has ended?

Adjust the slide duration to whatever time you want to show the slide.

You guys are so smart and helpful, I thought I could ask more than one question if that is okay...

I am using VideoWave 10.

thanks in advance!!

One question but multi-multi-parted !

No, probably uninstalling EMC 7 will not speed up your computer appreciably. Just keep your hard drive cleaned and defragged and shut down ANYTHING/everything else when you are doing video editing.

You can loop a video by choosing DVD, no menu when you open a new project in My DVD.

You can cut out the scenes you don't want or just add the scenes you do want in Video Wave. Watch this. Wait until it loads before you press the play button.

Add a color panel to th end of the video set the duration and put your text on that OR extract the last image from the video as a image file using Media Manager or Video Wave. Add that image, set the duration and put the same text on that that you have at the end of the video.

Go to karri's videos on Video Wave and watch them. They will give you a really good background of the basics. Once you get the basics, you can watch these also.

hi karri, anything to add?

Hey Steve!

Just to add:

Walt and Steve have all your questions covered, but I'll just add that if you have difficulty selecting text from start to end, try right clicking on the text and choose "Select All" from the context menu. It's an extra click but less frustrating :)

I am using VideoWave 10.

thanks in advance!!

Go to the "start point" of where you want to start your trim, hit the "plus" sign (right under the words "production editor" in videowave). A yellow marker is created. Go the the end of the section to be trimmed, hit the plus sign again, move somewhere in between the two markers you created, click the "red x" (right next to the plus sign you've been using), a line appears connecting the markers you created, hit the x again, and you are all trimmed out.

This is a fast and simple way to cut parts of a video file out. Do this in Videowave program and in the "Timeline" view.

thanks for writing. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Celeron 3.20 GHz

RAM: 1 GB

Empty hard drive space: 9 GB

Used hard drive space: 223 GB

Win XP Professional

VideoWave 10

DVD drive: Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P65

Vision Tek XTASY Radeon X1300 AGP based graphics card

PS-anyone know about the flash animation question I asked above? it's a cool website.

Sorry but 9GB just isn't enough free space for video editing. I bought a 500GB hard drive JUST for video editing and point Videowave/MyDVD temp folders there.

If that isn't an option, try freeing up some space by using the Windows option to clean up temp files and then empty the Recycle Bin. You really need about twice have you have now as a minimum.

Most video editors can not import flash animations direct to the timeline. If you can find a way to convert those to AVI or MPEG, that would work.

Archived