• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 7.5 - Cannot Uninstall Napster

tbonacci

Question

I installed EMC 7.0 and did a custom install, where I was given the option to install Napster or not - I did not choose to install Napster. All was fine.

Then, I installed EMC 7.5 upgrade, and the installation process did not give me an option to install Napster, so it went ahead and installed it.

Now, I am trying to use Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, to uninstall Napster, but each time I try to remove it, it runs through what appears to be uninstalling, because I get the "A reboot is needed" message where I click "Yes, I want to restart my computer now" message, but each time I restart my computer, Napster is still installed. I can't seem to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how I can completely remove this program?

5 answers to this question

I am also getting this problem. I haven't used Napster even when I installed EMC7, and then over the last couple of days, it kept forcing me to install it whenever I was in Windows Explorer. Now I've installed it and the request has stopped, but I can't get rid of it...

I appreciate the deal Roxio has with Napster, but flogging it to the point that it becomes a mandatory component that you hardly use and just takes up space is stupid.

I'm guessing you downloaded the 7.5 upgrade from Roxio. That upgrade does not give you the option of a custom install and using Add/Remove Programs for Napster goes through the motions but doesn't uninstall anything.

Same thing happened to me. This is going to sound odd, but the way to uninstall Napster is to download the latest trial version of Napster from napster.com, install it and THEN use add/remove programs to remove Napster. Credit for this one goes to Patatrox of Roxio.

Lance

Found this in a search, it didn't work for me. Just wondering if anyone else has figured out a fix for this?

I am also getting this problem. I haven't used Napster even when I installed EMC7, and then over the last couple of days, it kept forcing me to install it whenever I was in Windows Explorer. Now I've installed it and the request has stopped, but I can't get rid of it...

I appreciate the deal Roxio has with Napster, but flogging it to the point that it becomes a mandatory component that you hardly use and just takes up space is stupid.

Napster is now a separate company, and the software is not included in EMC 8 or EMC 9. I did uninstall it from my EMC 7.5.

Question: When you say that Napster is still installed after using the Control Panel and removing it, does it still show in the "Add/Remove programs" listings. If not, then it has been removed. Or do you mean it is still showing in the main Roxio program home screen. If it's still showing there, it will still show but will be grayed out and not usable if it was removed.

If you know your way around the Registry, you could remove it there, but I don't suggest that unless you really know what you are doing.

Frank....

I installed EMC 7.0 and did a custom install, where I was given the option to install Napster or not - I did not choose to install Napster. All was fine.

Then, I installed EMC 7.5 upgrade, and the installation process did not give me an option to install Napster, so it went ahead and installed it.

Now, I am trying to use Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, to uninstall Napster, but each time I try to remove it, it runs through what appears to be uninstalling, because I get the "A reboot is needed" message where I click "Yes, I want to restart my computer now" message, but each time I restart my computer, Napster is still installed. I can't seem to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how I can completely remove this program?

I'm guessing you downloaded the 7.5 upgrade from Roxio. That upgrade does not give you the option of a custom install and using Add/Remove Programs for Napster goes through the motions but doesn't uninstall anything.

Same thing happened to me. This is going to sound odd, but the way to uninstall Napster is to download the latest trial version of Napster from napster.com, install it and THEN use add/remove programs to remove Napster. Credit for this one goes to Patatrox of Roxio.

Lance

Archived