Mydvd 8 "edit Movie"

jfogg@cableone.net

Question

18 answers to this question

ATI & nVidia chipset are good. Some seem to be having a problem with ATI cards when adding more than 3 titles to the main menu. Do some comparative shopping for PCIe (PCI Express) cards. They will be a little more than a regular PCI card, but the buss is newer technology and faster so should last for awhile. Set a price that you are willing to spend and see what you can find locally or online if you don't mind shopping online. CompUSA seems to have tech stuff on sale weekly. I usually price that against Best Buy and Circuit City. Online , TigerDirect and buy.com are very reliable. You should be able to find a good card for around $150 or less. If your budget doesn't allow that much, then you can find a good PCI card for $80 of less.

Thanks for the input.

I just went the rounds with HP to attempt a fix. They had me reinstall my driver rather than update it. No luck with that. They then recommended to attempt a download from Intel. Apparently, they didn't read that my first attempt at a fix was the Intel update. That, of course, didn't work. HP told me to seek help from Roxio...the problem must be in the software.

Have you ever heard of an issue related to the software download? I didn't get any error messages when I installed the SW. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the full suite. That didn't help. I'm sure someone out there is able to use the "edit movie" feature within MyDVD Premier (EMC 8 Deluxe Suite). Roxio has been difficult to get any help from, but I'll go see what I can do with them. I still may upgrade the card just to see. It wouldn't hurt to have a better card anyway.

I could 'edit movie' even with the standard edition on both of my machines listed below. My laptop has the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chipset (82852/82855) and editing works fine.

One last question: have you updated to the latest DirectX?

Get it here

I did update DirectX to the latest version with no problem. Perhaps the download file is corrupted. I'll take the problem up with Roxio. I really appreciate all your inputs and the time you take to support this forum.

Here is where you get that driver

Just choose your OS, click GO. It was just released Mar 26.

Unfortunately, we have seen more problems with the integrated video chipsets. If you have an empty slot in your computer, you may want to think about an add-in video card in the future. Even a $50 card seems to work better than the integrated chipsets.

I attempted the install but I got an error saying that it could not be installed on my computer and that I needed to contact the manufacturer of the computer. Would you recommend that I contact HP or is there something else that might work?

That's odd. You shouldn't have a problem if that is the correct chipset. Maybe HP has tweaked the hardware somehow. Yes, I would check the HP website to see if they have a newer version driver than what you have.

When you get to HPs website, click on Support. Then type in your computer model. Like mine is the A420N. Choose your operating system and all the drivers will be listed.

I purchase Easy Media Creator 8 Deluxe Suite. I have created DVD projects with no problems. When I try to add background music to a video file on my menu the program closes. I select "Edit Movie" from the toolbar and MyDVD closes. I do not get an error message...it just closes. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

I will try that this evening when I get home. I know that I have automatic HP updates set on my PC. I thought that this looks for driver updates. Not true? Also my PC has the Hauppauge board for capture. Could this play any role in my "edit movie" problem in EMC 8 Deluxe?

HP update doesn't seem to find all the updates on my machine. I just do it manually. The Hauppauge card should have no affect on the 'edit movie' in MyDVD 8.

The list of updates from HP doesn't seem to have anything that would fix my problem. I do have a message in to HP support asking why I can't install the Intel driver. I'll see what they say.

I have also noted in VideoWave that after editing a video file I cannot export it as a video file. I make the selections and when I click to render my project back to mpeg-2 again I get an error message saying that the "rendering graph" (if I remember correctly) cannot be displayed. This error impedes me from saving the new file as a video file again. I am hoping that this is also a result of the graphics driver that someday I hope to update.

We see the 'graph' error more with capture with an analog device. I think it is caused by the video card drivers.

Which HP model do you have? If you have an empty AGP, PCI or PCIe slot, maybe think about purchasing a separate video card. I've seen decent cards on sale recently for under $50. Just keep you eye on sale papers every Sunday.

We see the 'graph' error more with capture with an analog device. I think it is caused by the video card drivers.

Which HP model do you have? If you have an empty AGP, PCI or PCIe slot, maybe think about purchasing a separate video card. I've seen decent cards on sale recently for under $50. Just keep you eye on sale papers every Sunday.

I have the HP Media Center, m7167c. I'll check on available slots. Thanks.

HP website for your motherboard:
  • One PCI Express x16 graphics
  • Three PCI

One of the PCI slots may be taken by a modem if you have one.

According to the specs I have the PCI Express x16 slot open as well as one of the PCI slots.

Is there a card that you would recommend, given that I will be using EMC 8 Deluxe most of the time and doing a lot of video editing and DVD authoring? I need to get this functioning as soon as possible. If I have to spend a little money to get a good card and not have to worry again, I will.

Here is where you get that driver

Just choose your OS, click GO. It was just released Mar 26.

Unfortunately, we have seen more problems with the integrated video chipsets. If you have an empty slot in your computer, you may want to think about an add-in video card in the future. Even a $50 card seems to work better than the integrated chipsets.

ATI & nVidia chipset are good. Some seem to be having a problem with ATI cards when adding more than 3 titles to the main menu. Do some comparative shopping for PCIe (PCI Express) cards. They will be a little more than a regular PCI card, but the buss is newer technology and faster so should last for awhile. Set a price that you are willing to spend and see what you can find locally or online if you don't mind shopping online. CompUSA seems to have tech stuff on sale weekly. I usually price that against Best Buy and Circuit City. Online , TigerDirect and buy.com are very reliable. You should be able to find a good card for around $150 or less. If your budget doesn't allow that much, then you can find a good PCI card for $80 of less.

Archived