• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Burn Avi File Downloaded

cloud

Question

4 answers to this question

Cloud,

If there's a matter of "recognition" then I guess you can't be trying to just store your AVI files on a data DVD, because any type of file can be burned to a data DVD. You must be trying to convert them into a Video-DVD.

There can be several reasons why version 9 doesn't "recognize" AVI files:

(1) You're not using the right application in version 9 to convert an AVI to a video-DVD

(2) You have the right application but you don't have the retail version, and your OEM version is deliberately crippled to stop you doing this with the type of AVIs you have.

(3) You have the retail version 9, but you don't have the codecs installed to decode the AVI files you have so they're not recognized by version 9. Usually in this case [like in #2] the file will show with a red circle with a diagonal bar through it.

Would you please confirm what you're trying to do, and how you're trying to do it?

If #3 applies, download and run the free GSpot codec information appliance from HERE.

When you drag and drop one of your AVIs onto the GSpot information box, you'll be shown in the top right of the box the name of the CODEC used to compress that AVI, and whether you have that codec installed to decompress the AVI.

Come back here if you need further help.

Brendon

hi, i am trying to record avi downloaded files to dvd. The program i use is dvd express as well as my dvd.

When i run GSpot i get the following information - codec: DX50, name: XviD 1.0.3, status: codec(s) are installed.

I am using Roxio creator premier with the following particulars:

Roxio Creator Premier

Version: 9.0.116

Build: 901B16R, DLP

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 4.0.36a, 9

Module Name: Roxio Core

Version: 3.3.0

Build: 331B17M, DLP

Module Name: Roxio Creator Audio

Build: 330B49H, DLP

Module Name: Roxio Creator Copy

Build: 330B45E, DLP

Module Name: Roxio Creator Data

Build: 330B45F, DLP

Module Name: Roxio EasyArchive

Build: 330B46A, DLP

Module Name: Roxio Creator Tools

Build: 330B40G, DLP

Cloud,

If there's a matter of "recognition" then I guess you can't be trying to just store your AVI files on a data DVD, because any type of file can be burned to a data DVD. You must be trying to convert them into a Video-DVD.

There can be several reasons why version 9 doesn't "recognize" AVI files:

(1) You're not using the right application in version 9 to convert an AVI to a video-DVD

(2) You have the right application but you don't have the retail version, and your OEM version is deliberately crippled to stop you doing this with the type of AVIs you have.

(3) You have the retail version 9, but you don't have the codecs installed to decode the AVI files you have so they're not recognized by version 9. Usually in this case [like in #2] the file will show with a red circle with a diagonal bar through it.

Would you please confirm what you're trying to do, and how you're trying to do it?

If #3 applies, download and run the free GSpot codec information appliance from HERE.

When you drag and drop one of your AVIs onto the GSpot information box, you'll be shown in the top right of the box the name of the CODEC used to compress that AVI, and whether you have that codec installed to decompress the AVI.

Come back here if you need further help.

Brendon

Downloaded from what?

downloaded from the internet in the avi format.

Hello Cloud,

I'm sorry, but I believe #2 (above) applies.

You haven't said so, but I suspect that you have Creator Premier from Dell. Please read this topic because I think you've run into the same deliberate and concealed limitations we've discussed there.

Your AVI file is a DivX encoded file, and the '4CC number' in the file, DX50, is one of the ones blocked by the software. GSpot says you have an XviD codec installed which should play it okay [try it in Windows Media Player] but XviD was also blocked by the software I tested.

I haven't been able to get hold of a copy of Creator Premier to test, but if your AVI will play in Windows Media Player but MyDVD won't recognize it then you can bet your boots Creator Premier has been 'nobbled' the same way as the RedBox software.

Regards,

Brendon