• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tivo Transfer App

jill anglin

Question

14 answers to this question

My Tivo Transfer refuses to install after removing and reinstalling the Toast 9 suite entirely. I've followed the KB article on completely removing all traces of Toast here: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Toast/000014T, but I cannot get the TiVo Transfer app to install at all with either a fresh Toast 9 install or using the Setup Assistant after installation. There must be something Roxio- or Toast-related still on my harddrive even after following the instructions to a T. My installation process goes directly from screen with the two checkboxes to registering my product. As I recall the Enable Tivo Transfers is supposed to be between the two. Is there in fact some odd little file that I'm failing to remove from my harddrive?

I've tried multiple installation attempts of Toast 9, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, and the new beta and I'm at a complete loss. Is there any other way to install the Tivo Transfer app?

Can you elaborate on "refuses to install".. "Enable Tivo Transfers" is the second screen after personalizing the copy of Toast. Does it prompt you to authenticate after passing Additional Software screen? Suggest doing a Permission repair. Also give a new user account a shot.

Um, no-- "not desirable but might work" is hardly an excuse for packaged software not installing on a basic and pretty much Vanilla system. The caveat to any Macintosh application installation is that you must do it well and error-free the first time on every vanilla OS X installation, or else you're releasing nothing more than yet another crappy java or Windows app that requires support from usergroups and google seaches.

Have you ever worked in the software side of the IT industry? Your previous posts on this website, despite your postcount, shout a resounding "NO I'M JUST REHASHING WHAT I'VE GOOGLED!!" If you'd like to join my team and argue otherwise, I'd be more than happy to show you this firsthand during your first and last week of employment.

Furthermore, there is no reason why Roxio has not moved to an Installer package in 10.5 for Intel macs. As the only game in town, they're making more than enough money to support both PPC and Intel installs FULLY. And with all the traffic Roxio has received from myraid Google results on this and other matters, they should and MUST do better.

Sounds like you know more about software development. Maybe you would want to write your own code instead of relying on crappy code as you suggest. No wonder crappy codes still works on millions of systems. Too sad.

Cheers.

Can you elaborate on "refuses to install".. "Enable Tivo Transfers" is the second screen after personalizing the copy of Toast. Does it prompt you to authenticate after passing Additional Software screen? Suggest doing a Permission repair. Also give a new user account a shot.

Repaired permissions multiple times. New user account didn't help. Yes I'm asked to authenticate. I mispoke earlier-- I go straight from the screen with the two checkboxes (divx and whatever the second checkbox says) to the authentication prompt to asking to register on roxio.com.

I'm about to give up on Toast. Why is the tivo transfer app installation even embedded in the configuration screens of the burning app in the first place? It makes troubleshooting installation issues virtually impossible and pretty much forces the end user to throw out the baby with the bathwater each time a problem arises. Argh.

Wow, so I found the problem and honestly it doesn't help my increasing lack of warm-and-fuzzy feelings towards Roxio these days.

For what it's worth for anyone searching the net high and low for an alternate solution to failed Tivo Transfer installations, this is what I did:

1) Browsed the Toast install .dmg by showing the package contents

2) Manually copied the gz'd tivotransfer tar from the install cd to my existing Toast 9 Titanium directory,

3) Unarchived that copy and watched the app suddenly appear in my existing Toast 9 directory

Now it works, as if there was never a problem with my system in the first place.

Seriously Roxio, stop embedding the Tivo Transfer installation within the post-installation configuration of the rest of the suite. You are creating far too many dependencies upon a flawless Toast.app installation as it is without throwing in archives within archives within archives. Argh.

How do I "browse" the .dmg file? When I double-click it, it opens into a disk image on my desktop, but the Tivo Transfer app is not in the app folder. Thanks.

pastis found the Tivo Transfer app in the .dmg file on the CD. It can also be found after installation, in the Toast application package.

Tivo Transfer not installing had me stumped for quite a while. I installed Toast 8 and did not get the Tivo option when I ran Toast Setup Assistant. Out of desperation one day, I opened the Toast application package, looked in the Content>Resources folder and found a file bundle named TiVoTransfer.tar.gz

I ended up with the Tivo Transfer application when I extracted TiVoTransfer.tar.gz

I moved Tivo Transfer to my Toast folder and, once configured, Tivo Transfer worked.

I have no idea why Tivo Transfer didn't properly extract and install during the Toast installation process. Has anyone seen an official Roxio post regarding this problem?

Wow, so I found the problem and honestly it doesn't help my increasing lack of warm-and-fuzzy feelings towards Roxio these days.

For what it's worth for anyone searching the net high and low for an alternate solution to failed Tivo Transfer installations, this is what I did:

1) Browsed the Toast install .dmg by showing the package contents

2) Manually copied the gz'd tivotransfer tar from the install cd to my existing Toast 9 Titanium directory,

3) Unarchived that copy and watched the app suddenly appear in my existing Toast 9 directory

Now it works, as if there was never a problem with my system in the first place.

Seriously Roxio, stop embedding the Tivo Transfer installation within the post-installation configuration of the rest of the suite. You are creating far too many dependencies upon a flawless Toast.app installation as it is without throwing in archives within archives within archives. Argh.

Oh well its quite standard practice to package applications in within the package on a Mac. There are routines to do the manual entires which you followed. Though it is not desirable but might work flawlessly. The fact that the screen to choose "enable Tivo transfers" was missing, definitely means something preventing on the system.

At the end of the day, glad things are sorted out.

Archived